5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 6:09 AM by Peter Spier

Indesign - restart pc needed to start ID

frecol

When I exit ID (cs4 or cs5 - trial version) I cannot open it again. When I try, nothing happens. It doesn't appear in the running applications. To open it again I need to: open the Task Manager, remove the process "indesign" and perform a cold restart of the pc. This problem started happening after the automatic Windows Vista updates some weeks ago, listed underneath. How come ?

The windows updates were security updates for Windows Vista, sp2:

KB2478660 & KB2518866

For: Microsoft.Net Framework4 Client Profile: KB2160841; KB2446708; KB2478663 & KB 2518870

All installed 2001/07/01

My pc:

Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @3.07 Ghz

RAM: 8 Gb

64-bit operating system

I would appreciate your input

Freddy

• 1. Re: Indesign - restart pc needed to start ID
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ID is fairly slow to completely shut down compared to many other apps.

If the process is tilll in task manager, it's still running. I'd wait a minute or two to se if it stops on its own. If not, just killing the process should be enough without restarting windows, and if you are going to restart, there shold be no need to kill the process first.

But if you are having a real problem, not just a delay, I would look for conflicts with some other program. Do you have a font manager, for example?

• 2. Re: Indesign - restart pc needed to start ID
            frecol Level 1

Peter, thanks for your answer. The thing is that the problem started to appear around the time the windiws updates were installed. In the many years I've been working with ID, I've never experienced this before. I didn't install new soft on my pc in the last 6 months or so and ID worked perfectly well until... Although I doubt there is a causal relationship with the update. I just assume, because while trying to find out what happens I stumbled on these updates.

Strange enough: when the process "indesign" is stopped manually, it will not open even not after more than an hour, nor when i restart the pc. The only thing that seems to work is a full shut down and a cold restart.

• 3. Re: Indesign - restart pc needed to start ID

When you kill the process, do you just click it and "end process," or do you right clikck and "end process tree" which should kill all the related stuff that may also be running and keeping it from restarting.

I still think this is a conflict, though. Might be a problem with Vista, but my guess would be some third-party app or plugin.

• 4. Re: Indesign - restart pc needed to start ID
                frecol Level 1

Peter, thanks.

When closing the process, I first check all users processes and then right

click "end processes". To no avail however.

Freddy

• 5. Re: Indesign - restart pc needed to start ID

I'm still on XP, so haven't had much occasion to use task manager to end a process in Vista, but I would definitely use "end process tree" if it is available.