4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2006 6:20 AM by Newsgroup_User

Weird text issue

Level 7
      Anyone ever have this problem? Just got some regular Text objects, using
      common fonts (Arial or Verdana), black text with Transparent Background ink,
      and at certain sizes, either the tops of all the ascender letters or the
      bottoms of all the descender letters will end up white instead of black. It
      seems to be pretty random when it does and doesn't do this. It either
      happens on the first line of a paragraph for ascenders or the last line for
      descenders. Sometimes just changing the font size will make it go away,
      sometimes it makes it go from ascenders to descenders or vice versa. Seems
      to be no rhyme or reason to it. I'm using common fonts because I have to
      ensure that it'll look the same on all machines. You'd think that something
      as common as Arial would be able to display properly. Any idea what would
      cause this?

• 1. Re: Weird text issue
          duckets Level 1
          I don't specifically recognise this problem, but it might be worth checking that your line spacing values are at least as high as the font size. If I recall, the line spacing value may not always automatically adjust to be large enough.

hope this helps,

- Ben
          • 2. Re: Weird text issue
            Level 7
            > I don't specifically recognise this problem, but it might be worth
            checking
            > that your line spacing values are at least as high as the font size. If I
            > recall, the line spacing value may not always automatically adjust to be
            large
            > enough.

Came to the same conclusion ultimately. Actually, the line spacing seems to
            have to be at least 1 pt higher than the font size. This is really
            annoying, because sometimes you need to have smaller line spacing to fit
            text into tight spots, but apparently the program doesn't fully support you
            doing that. I think this might qualify as a bug report. By all rights, the
            program SHOULD be able to do this correctly, but it doesn't. Oh well. Lots
            of text reformatting ahead for me, I guess...

• 3. Re: Weird text issue
              Level 7
              > Lots of text reformatting ahead for me, I guess..

You should be able to automate most of that using Lingo.

• 4. Re: Weird text issue
                Level 7
                > > Lots of text reformatting ahead for me, I guess..
                >
                > You should be able to automate most of that using Lingo.

Yeah, except that the text has to wrap around images and such, and that has
                to be done manually. Changing font size/spacing quickly is not a problem,
                but making them still line up with the spaces they're supposed to fit into
                has to be tweaked afterwards. Anyhow, all done now. Still doesn't change
                the fact that by all rights, Director SHOULD be able to handle text with
                smaller line spacing than the font size. Every other program that displays
                text in paragraph form has that capability.