1 person found this helpful
I collected files from Indesign. Burned them to a disc. Printed out the disc contents (from the disc).
The fonts were there.
"There" in the InDesign doc, or "there" in the Document Fonts folder?
If your Doc. Fonts folder was empty (seems likely) and you printed the job successfully from a machine that had the fonts installed, I'd be unsurprised. There is basically a 0% chance that you burned a disc with a Document Fonts folder that was full of fonts that somehow magically erased the fonts in the burned disc.
Some possibilities include:
1) The possibility above - the Doc. Fonts folder was empty when burned to disc, but you could print succesfully because you had the fonts installed.
2) You burned a CD/RW, and an evil gnome deleted the fonts in your Doc. Fonts folder
3) You burned a CDR on a Mac using platform-specific Mac fonts, and the wrong filesystem, and your vendor is looking at a folder full of fonts with a size of 0K (the resource fork was stripped at burn, Google for it if you are unfamiliar with Mac fonts and resource forks)
And, my guesses:
1) Disable UTC, make sure your fonts are locally available on your desktop, and try to package again. Look in Doc. Fonts folder both before burn and after burn.
2) The "disappearing fonts" pretty much has to be user error somewhere, unless possibility no. 2 applies and you have an evil gnome infestation.
Very well could have been user error. I lied. I didn't burn the disc but someone else did. Im taking her word for it, but looking at her screengrabs. It might have been a user error as her screengrab didn't include the source but just the folder listing.
Without knowing about version or platform, or knowing anything beyond the details you've supplied it's hard to speculate. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find it was some sort of filesystem-of-burned-disc issue, but I would be surprised to discover a viable gnome population.
I lied. I didn't burn the disc but someone else did. Im taking her word for it, but looking at her screengrabs. It might have been a user error as her screengrab didn't include the source but just the folder listing.
I, too, have lied and said it was me when I was actually providing tech support for a third party. I've only been burned two out of three times by trusting people's descriptions, averaged over the last decade.