6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 11:24 AM by h2ofun

CS5.5 Trial Keeps opening instead of CS5

Toomany3 Level 1

Ok, until today I thought I was a computer guru, an expert, a genius, a.... well, you get the idea.  But a very simple thing is making me much more humble. 

I double click a premiere project (Windows 7) and CS5.5 trial opens the project instead of CS5.0. 

Simple, right?  Right click the project in Explorer and change the "Opens With" back to CS5.0.  Ok, done.  But it still opens with CS5.5 no matter what I do.  Same goes for AE5.5 too. 

Not a huge deal since I can open CS5.0 and from THERE open anything I want, but I don't always do that.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: CS5.5 Trial Keeps opening instead of CS5
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm PMing you. The fix isn't too crazy, but I don't want to post broadly on the chance that someone blows up their machine doing it. Standby...

• 2. Re: CS5.5 Trial Keeps opening instead of CS5
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Any suggestions?

I personally recommend doing what you don't want.  Always open the program first, then open the file.

• 3. Re: CS5.5 Trial Keeps opening instead of CS5
              Toomany3 Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

I'm PMing you. The fix isn't too crazy, but I don't want to post broadly on the chance that someone blows up their machine doing it. Standby...

As usual, thanks!  For those wanting to burn up their computers... get some gas and matches... OR do a registry hack job which is what Colin sent me (in case you're wondering what the solution is).  Works like a charm, AND without smoke or explosions.

• 4. Re: CS5.5 Trial Keeps opening instead of CS5
                h2ofun Level 1

Colin, could you send me the fix also.

Thanks

• 5. Re: CS5.5 Trial Keeps opening instead of CS5
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Alright, the fix is below. Note that I take no responsibility for what this does or may do, so you're on your own. I had no problems with it, but that is no guarantee of anything. Note also that this is a Windows-only fix; I don't know how to do this on the Mac.

Create a new text document (name it whatever you like), and change the extension to .reg; this will specify it as a Windows registry file entry. Copy and paste the following into the document:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project]
                  @="Adobe Premiere Project"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\DefaultIcon]
                  @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\",1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell]
                  @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open\command]
                  @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project]
                  @="Adobe Premiere Project"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\DefaultIcon]
                  @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\",1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell]
                  @=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open\command]
                  @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe\" \"%1\""

Save the file, and then simply double-click it. A dialog will appear asking if you want to add this information to the registry--click Yes if you do (which I assume is why you're asking). This will reassign the extension to the shell command to open a .prproj file to CS5--nothing more.

Don't come cryin' to me if this steals your lunch money

• 6. Re: CS5.5 Trial Keeps opening instead of CS5
                    h2ofun Level 1

Thanks.

Dave Campbell

23782 Woodhaven Place

Auburn, Ca  95602

Home  5302680331

Cell  5303200403

Email:  h2ofun@h2ofun.net