6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 2:04 PM by BVX3001

P2 files audio gain adjustment causes crashes

BVX3001 Level 1

I'm fairly new to shooting and editing P2 files. Whenever I try to adjust the audio gain on any such clip it immediately crashes Premiere (5.0.3). Other files adjust flawlessly. I see someone brought this up last year but the suggested changing of audio preferences for source channel mapping from stereo to "Use file" had no effect.  Is there a solution for CS5 users? Has this been solved in 5.5?   Going thru Soundbooth is a tedious, time-consuming workaround.

Thanks in advance for any clues.

• 1. Re: P2 files audio gain adjustment causes crashes
          Colin Brougham Level 6

It's a known bug, and unfortunately, it was not solved in CS5. It was fixed for CS5.5, however.

Are you saying it's happening with mono-only clips, also? I thought/seem to remember this only affecting clips where the mono audio was remapped to stereo.

• 2. Re: P2 files audio gain adjustment causes crashes
            Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, I might have found a workaround. If you are indeed talking about mono audio mapped to stereo, there's a fairly simple solution: instead of using Audio Gain on a clip in a sequence, simply use it a on clip in the bin/Project Panel instead. To do this, just select the clips you want to use Audio Gain on, and then go to Clip > Audio Options > Audio Gain (CS5.5 has added this to the right-click menu). Even when mapped to stereo, there is no crash--at least, not in my testing. It seems to be OK even when the clips are already used in a sequence; note that it won't affect clips already in the sequence, though.

Does that work for you? Just did a quick test here...

• 3. Re: P2 files audio gain adjustment causes crashes
              BVX3001 Level 1

Thanks for the quick help Colin, that approach does indeed provide a usable workaround. My usual trial and error to find the ideal amount of boost might take a while that way, but less than jumping to Sb and back. (Great, another known bug that I have to pay for a fix to get back to CS4 capability, eh?)

Yes, I have 4 mono signals mapped as two stereo pairs, as my Pana HPX-300 only seems to let me do even when I need only one mono track.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: P2 files audio gain adjustment causes crashes
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                Yes, I have 4 mono signals mapped as two stereo pairs, as my Pana HPX-300 only seems to let me do even when I need only one mono track.

If you only need the one mono track, you can disable all the others simply by unchecking them in the Audio Channels dialog; no need to remap, necessarily. When you drop the mono audio into a sequence with a stereo master track, it'll be automatically routed to both stereo output channels. Is that functionally what you're trying to achieve?

• 5. Re: P2 files audio gain adjustment causes crashes
                  BVX3001 Level 1

That's good to remember, but rather than do that in Premiere countless times, I'd like to do it once in the camera, then enable recording tracks 3 & 4 only when needed. Unfortunately I can't find that anywhere as an option. I'd guess it might be a P2 file thing - a question for another forum no doubt.

Thanks again.

• 6. Re: P2 files audio gain adjustment causes crashes
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

No need to do it countless times; just select all the clips right after import (it's important to do it before they're used in a sequence) and you can apply the remapping/channel change to all the clips at once.

I don't think there's a way to do it in camera; I believe it's just part of the P2 spec.