6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 7:07 PM by John Hawkinson

Need help with shared hyperlinks

mpc999 Level 2

I need help understanding the shared hyperlink option when creating hyperlinks in InDesign CS5 (Mac) and how to change a shared hyperlink destination.

I want to build a document that contains hyperlinks to files on the client’s server. The end use is to make a PDF in which the client can click on a hyperlink and it opens (for example) a Word document or another PDF on their server. When I started the project, I thought I would create shared hyperlinks because a single server document would be referred to by several links scattered through the InDesign document I was building.

From the Hyperlink palette fly-out menu I chose New Hyperlink, then Link To: File from the dropdown, and I clicked the Shared Hyperlink option, and then OK to close the window. I export the InDesign file as a print PDF, and the hyperlinks work.

Now I need to change the file paths, because the client moved their files to a new location. When I re-open the hyperlink in the Hyperlink palette by double clicking on it, the Edit Hyperlink window opens but it shows my link as:

Link To: Shared Destination (rather than File)

And the destination box underneath shows:

Document: [my document name]

Name [the file path I put in]

However, this link is not editable. I don’t understand why InDesign does this on its own.

Edit-Hyperlink-dialog.jpg

I realize now that it was not necessary to tick the shared option when I built the hyperlink. Is there a way (a script? another method?) that I can remove the shared nature of the hyperlinks so that when I go to edit them they show as links to files (Link to: File, not Link to: Shared Destination) with a live Destination Path box where I can edit the link?

(If anyone tries to help with a script, note that my document also contains other hyperlinks to internet URLs and emails that I don’t want to disturb.)

Thanks for your consideration.

• 1. Re: Need help with shared hyperlinks
          John Hawkinson Level 5

I am going to be lazy and say you should use the techncique I suggested earlier today inHow can I find and change text in Hyperlinks? to just do a search-and-replace among your shared hyperlinks, and not worry about making them not shared. Perhaps there's a reason why that doesn't work for you, though.

• 2. Re: Need help with shared hyperlinks
            melissaglogan

"Is there a way (a script? another method?) that I can remove the shared  nature of the hyperlinks so that when I go to edit them they show as  links to files (Link to: File, not Link to: Shared Destination) with a  live Destination Path box where I can edit the link?"

When you doubleclick on the link, where it says "Link to: Shared Destination" is a pull down menu. Click and open the pull down menu and select "File" instead of "Shared Destination".

As for the Destination Path box, I do'nt think there's a way to type in a path. I think you have to browse to get to the file.

Open the pull down menu under Destination "Document:" and then click "Browse".

I am not sure if that helps you or not, but I hope it does!

Melissa

• 3. Re: Need help with shared hyperlinks
              mpc999 Level 2

Thanks John, I knew you were on a roll today and hoped you would reply. I've looked at your three recent posts on find/replace scripts.

I simplified my situation in the original post. What has happened is that the client changed the server location and I have done a global change of the server name (supplied by the client) by editing the idml file. Now the links have the new server name, but they don't work in the PDF I make. The client is saying it's because I have the hyperlinks set up as Shared Destinations. I know that's not correct, but I want to strip that out to remove it from the discussion rather than argue with the client. (I think the real problem is that I don't have the client's true file path.)

I want to get the links back to the point where double clicking on the hyperlink name (number) in the Hyperlink palette opens an Edit Hyperlink dialog where the destination is Link to: File and the file path shows up in the File Path box as an editable string. Just the way I made them in the first place.

(Melissa,thanks for your suggestion, but when you go from the Shared drop down to File, the File Path box is empty. I would have to put in the entire file path again from scratch.)

• 4. Re: Need help with shared hyperlinks
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Well. I do feel sort of bait-and-switched, but...

I want to get the links back to the point where double clicking on the hyperlink name (number) in the Hyperlink palette opens an Edit Hyperlink dialog where the destination is Link to: File and the file path shows up in the File Path box as an editable string. Just the way I made them in the first place.

It's good that you're comfortable editing the IDML.

If you compare links made both ways in the IDML, the only distinction between the Shared and the not Shared seems to be the hidden attribute of the <HyperlinkURLDestination/> tag.

Allegedly you cannot edit this in Javascript (though you could, I suppose, create a new HyperlinkURLDestination with all the same properties and then chang eeach hyperlink to point to it).

But editing it in the IDML works fine. Open designmap.xml and change the Hidden="false" to Hidden="true". Of course, you only want to do that in the <HyerplinkURLDestination/> tags...

Something about this seems fishy to me, so you might want to verify it yourself in a single case before you put too much effort in. But I think it's right.

• 5. Re: Need help with shared hyperlinks
                  mpc999 Level 2

Hi John,

I tried switching the true/false in the IDML file, and at first glance, it seems to work. I haven't had more than a few minutes to quickly test a file. I end up with a few blank hyperlinks (not sure why), but it changes 95% of them correctly back to not being shared destinations. I have over 700, so having to fix a few is OK.

I didn't mean for you to feel bait-and-switched. My original question was valid -- I wanted to change the hyperlinks back to not being shared destinations, even if it was of no consequence. I just didn't want to go into the gory details of "why" and just focus on the "how".

I appreciate your participation in this forum and your knowledge of scripting. Being a complete non-scripter, I'm sure I'll use the structure of the other scripts you've posted in the last few days sometime in the future.

• 6. Re: Need help with shared hyperlinks
                    John Hawkinson Level 5
                    I tried switching the true/false in the IDML file, and at first glance, it seems to work. I haven't had more than a few minutes to quickly test a file. I end up with a few blank hyperlinks (not sure why), but it changes 95% of them correctly back to not being shared destinations. I have over 700, so having to fix a few is OK.

Why don't you post an example (from the IDML) of one of the ones that did not work?