7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 5:54 AM by TradeWind

Some missing FCP functions?

jensenogjensen

I have just switched from FCP to Premiere Pro, and there are some functions, that I'm used to in FCP, that I can't seem to find in PP.  1. Mouse scrolling in the timeline, up/down makes the timeline scroll right/left, when I want it to show hidden tracks (up/down) 2. I would like to be able to set the timelone up, so all clips are unlinked when it is dropped onto it. Not having to "right-click" and "unlink" each clip. 3. Adding transitions to a selection of clips would also be great. And not having to place the CTI over the edit to add the transition.  Everything else seems to run as I'm used to, when I have setup my keyboard shortcuts.  Anyone have ideas howto get PP to do the things I'm missing.  Thomas (o:

• 1. Re: Some missing FCP functions?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

1. Mouse scrolling in the timeline, up/down makes the timeline scroll right/left, when I want it to show hidden tracks (up/down)

Nada. Lots of people want this (not me), but you can file a feature request here: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

2. I would like to be able to set the timelone up, so all clips are unlinked when it is dropped onto it. Not having to "right-click" and "unlink" each clip.

I don't believe there is a way to do this at the application level--if there is, I'm not aware of it--but if you drop all your clips into a sequence, you can select them all and unlink in one fell swoop. Not exactly the same, so if you want the same, do the Feature Request Thang

3. Adding transitions to a selection of clips would also be great.

Can be done; just select all clips you want transitions between, and go to Sequence > Apply Default Transitions to Selection. If you select just video (hold down Alt or I think Opt on a Mac) or just audio, you'll add transitions to just those, but by default, it adds both audio and video. Note that this requires setting up a default transition (right-click on one in the Effects Panel), and probably your desired duration in the program settings.

And not having to place the CTI over the edit to add the transition.

Not sure I'm following you. You don't have to have the CTI... I mean, playhead (they changed the name in CS5.5... grr) over a transition to edit it. Just select it and you can tweak it in the Effects Controls panel.

Welcome aboard, by the way...

• 2. Re: Some missing FCP functions?
            jensenogjensen Level 1

The last question, should have been two questions.

When I need to add a dissolve, I have to place my CTI (Playhead) over the edit - either audio or video, to be able to add it.

In FCP, I'm used to just highlight the edit, or a selection of clips, and hit the assigned keyboard shortcut (Add Video Transition)

And thanks very much for your fast response.

I'll be posting a request to the Adobe developers.

• 3. Re: Some missing FCP functions?
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              When I need to add a dissolve, I have to place my CTI (Playhead) over the edit - either audio or video, to be able to add it.

In FCP, I'm used to just highlight the edit, or a selection of clips, and hit the assigned keyboard shortcut (Add Video Transition)

I see. Well, the Apply Default Transition to Selection still applies--it doesn't care where the CTI is, so long as you have two or more clips selected. In PPro, an "edit" doesn't constitute a selectable reality as it does in FCP or Avid, so I understand the hitch in the giddyup there. You can also drag-and-drop transitions on to edit points, but that's a bit more sliding around than you care to do, I'm sure.

I'm really hoping we can a revision to the transition setup in the next version of Premiere Pro; effects and such have gotten a pretty good workover, but transitions have been largely untouched since Premiere went Pro, at least from a usability level. We'll keep egging 'em on

• 4. Re: Some missing FCP functions?
                rowlkr Level 1

If you hover your cursor over the scroll bar at the right end of the timeline panel, you can then mouse the tracks up/down using the trackball.  I have put in a feature request/suggestion that a modifier key (say "shift")+trackball would change the left/right scroll behavior to the up/down behavior we obviously need.

• 5. Re: Some missing FCP functions?
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Premiere Pro CS5.5 allows you to unlink multiple clips at the same time. Select the clips, right click with the mouse and then choose>Unlink.

• 6. Re: Some missing FCP functions?
                    jensenogjensen Level 1

Thanks for all your replys. I still miss the FCP Functions, but maybe I'll get used to the way it works, sometime.  And thanks for your warm welcome to the forum.  Thomas

• 7. Re: Some missing FCP functions?
                      TradeWind Level 3

Regarding the unlink...you can use the ALT modifier when you select an audio or video clip to temporarily unlink a clip and move it in the timline.

Just press and hold ALT when you click on the clip and you can then drag your selected clip portion anywhere you like. The link remains intact afterward, so if you need the A/V link permanently removed, then yes, you'll probably want to select all your clips in the timeline and then choose "unlink."