3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 12:17 PM by gkaiseril

Why menu options (FILE, EDIT, TOOLS etc) are missing!

srinivas1506 Level 1

I am developing an VISITOR Adobe Interactive Form, i have Designer 8.1 and Reader 9.0 in my Windows 7 Laptop. When i checked the menu EDIT-->form properties --> Compatability, its Adobe XML form File (XDP) When i opened this VISITOR interactive form in a browser, right clicking and checked form

PROPERTIES, then i saw the "PDF Version: 1.6 (Acrobat 7.x)"

When i opened this VISITOR interactive form in the browser, i did not see MENU options (like EDIT)! i saw small icons of Pring, Save, Page, Zoom, Find.

And a Purple ribbon with text of "Please fill out the following form. You can save data typed into this form"

But, i did not see any other MENU optios, like FILE, EDIT, VIEW, DOCUMENT, TOOLS, WINDOW, HELP! Pls. let me know

But, i downloaded some 'ABC' pdf from internet and opened it, here i can see all these MENU options, like FILE, EDIT!

1) In this case, How can i setup DEBUGGING settings/checking of Java script window console/message from EDIT option of menu?

2) Why the MENU options got disappearing!

Than you

• 1. Re: Why menu options (FILE, EDIT, TOOLS etc) are missing!
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are experiencing the difference between the application and INTERNET web browser Reader plug-in. The Reader plug-in runs with in a window within the web browser. The web browser still need to display its menu and tool bars, to the real estate left for the plug-in window becomes much smaller. Also do you need all of the Acrobat product features to view a PDF from the Web? Are you going to edit and directly replace the PDF on the web site?

If you had the full paid version of any Acrobat product, the web Reader plug-in is still restricted, but you might have some additional JS functionality due to having the full paid product and not the free Adobe Reader product.

Downloading the PDF to your local system and opening in the full application provides all options.

Have you tried to open the local file using your web browser?

Is it the same as viewing a web page or the full application?

• 2. Re: Why menu options (FILE, EDIT, TOOLS etc) are missing!
            srinivas1506 Level 1

Hello,

I working for a retail giant company, they bought Adobe LiveCycle and its in their laptop, where am working

I am developing an VISITOR Adobe Interactive Form, i have Designer 8.1 and Reader 9.0 in my Windows 7 Laptop. When i checked the menu EDIT-->form properties --> Compatability, its Adobe XML form File (XDP)

When i opened this VISITOR interactive form in a browser, right clicking and checked form PROPERTIES, then i saw the "PDF Version: 1.6 (Acrobat 7.x)"

I am trying to debug my Java script on a VISITOR interactive form, i found this link in google

http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=950914

But, when you see my case, i did not see the mentioned MENU-->EDIT-->PREFERENCES-->CONSOLE stuff on my development, pls. see the below screen shots and suggest me how to put the debugger settings in my case,

1_I did not see any MENU here on the LiveCycle Designers in order to set the settings of debugging my Java Script

1_I did not see any MENU here on the LiveCycle Designers in order to set the settings of debugging my Java Script.jpg
            ==============================================================
            2_I did not see any MENU either on this tab of PREVIEW of PDF.....in order to set the settings to debug my Java Script
            2_I did not see any MENU either on this tab of PREVIEW of PDF.....in order to set the settings to debug my Java Script.jpg
            3_I guess.... this is not the EDIT item on MENU your are referencing in your SDN answer, because, i did not see any PREFERENCES option under this EDIT
            3_I guess.... this is not the EDIT item on MENU your are referencing in your SDN answer, because, i did not see any PREFERENCES option under this EDIT.jpg
            4_If i open any external (this is Adobe Acrobat Guide downloaded from Google) PDF, there i can see MENU_EDIT_PREFERENCE items_but, in my developement I can not see this stuff in order to put debugger settings
            4_If i open any external (this is Adobe Acrobat Guide downloaded from Google) PDF, there i can see MENU_EDIT_PREFERENCE items_but, in my developement I can not see this stuff in order to put debugger settings.jpg
            Thank you,
            • 3. Re: Why menu options (FILE, EDIT, TOOLS etc) are missing!
              gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Be very clear about what have and are doing and using.

Browser tends to refers to a web browser. And both Reader and Acrobat have web browser plugins.

Adobe has the free Adobe Reader, and reader is the operative word! It is a reader application only.

Adobe sells a program Adobe Acrobat to maintain PDF files and provide PDF creation tools. The Adobe Acrobat product includes 2 programs, Adobe Acrobat and LiveCycle Designer that can create PDF forms. These 2 applications can create PDF forms but they use different scripting languages, syntax, and user interfaces. Also the form editing is not exchangeable between the 2 products. Further forms created with LiveCycle Designer will work with Acrobat/Reader but only if the version of Acrobat/Reader is greater or equal to 5.01. It is well known that many users are using older and unsupported versions of Acrobat/Reader.

You can enable the JavaScript console in Reader to show error messages and with modifications to the Reader application you can run some Acrobat JavaScript code interactively through the JS console, but there are properties, methods, and functions that can only be run with the Acrobat product.

LiveCycle Designer is also a different product from Adobe inDesign that can be used to design forms and create forms and export to PDF. Many unclear posters refer to this product as 'Designer" and others refer to LiveCycle Desinger as "Designer". There is even greater confusion over Java and JavaScript within these forums.

Your screen shots did not come through.

There are many products that can export to a PDF file format but that does not make them a tool of choice to create PDFs and PDF forms nor do they provide all of the tools necessary to fix, modify, or create  PDFs and PDF forms.

If you use LiveCycle Designer you should be posting in the LiveCycle Designer forums. This forum is for Acrobat JavaScirpt within a form developed with Adobe Acrobat.

To fully debug LiveCycle Desinger forms you should be using Acrobat for debugging.

Have you read over the responses in that post?

One of the responders providing instructions on debuging in LiveCycle Desiger instructs:

"Open Acrobat Professional."

Acrobat Professional is not Adobe Reader.