10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 9:04 AM by David Zeno

Blurring all but the center of a video ?

David Zeno Level 1

Hi everyone,

Ok, many of us have asked how to blur out someone's face, in a video, but, I've got a different question.

I have my daughter in the middle of my frame, and I have stuff around her, which I want blurred out, to bring more focus on her.

How do I go about getting all the frame blurred except her in the middle ?

I tried to create a title, where I created a retangular white solid,  then remove an oval from it, so her body would show through, but I can't do this, ( can't get that process done, i.e.: remove an oval from a title solid )

So I'm back at square one, what route should I take ?

thanks for any help, much appreciated !

Dave.

• 1. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try with a matte.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
            David Zeno Level 1

Thanks Harm.

Ok got mixed up with IMAGE matte and TRACK matte

Realize I've used TRACK matte before, but it's been so long I have forgotten how to use it, got it working now with an oval ( white ) in the titler,

however, it only darkens the outer edges of video, not really blurs them, even though I added a gaussian blur to the oval.  The blur is not blurring the background but rather blurring the edge of the oval....

I think I'm sort of on the right track, but not really.  Maybe I need to make a white overlay in Photoshop, cut out an oval, and then use that

instead ?

• 3. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

The matte itself is just a cookie cutter; blurring it doesn't do anything to the video. Well, blurring the matte can feather the edges of the matte, which is good, but it won't affect the video background.

What I think you're missing is that you need two instances of your clip, stacked on top of each other. Place one instance on V1, and another on V2; add your matte clip, e.g. oval, to V3. Add a blur effect to the V1 instance, and adjust to taste. Add Track Matte Key to V2, and set it to use the clip on V3 and use whatever mode your track matte is--Matte Luma if it's a black-and-white clip, Matte Alpha if it's an opaque-on-transparent clip. You should now have a non-blurred piece of video in an oval (or whatever) over a blurred background. You can add that blur effect to the matte now to feather it, if you like. Adjust all parameters to taste.

• 4. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
                BVX3001 Level 1

Try this:

Track one: copy of clip with blur effect added

Track two: original clip

Track three: white on black oval shape title with blur effect added

Add Track Matte Key to original clip, select Matte: Video 3, and Composite using: Matte Luma

Oh, Colin beat me to it.

I also sometimes use Pixelan's SpiceMaster to do this as a static transition rather than use the Matte Key

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
                  mitchell james2 Level 1

another way. I do blur of clip on track one, non blur of clip on track two and use circle

wipe between the two. I believe it is blend mode but on one of the dropdowns change to add. Then change your radius to the size you want and add a feather to the circle wipe and you have your effect.

• 6. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
                    BVX3001 Level 1

Can you elaborate on that?  I can't seem to find what you are describing.

This is one of those little annoyances with Premiere. A decent soft edged PIP should be a simple matter to set up and position on the screen. I could do it blindfolded with the Matrox effects in Axio (even 13 years ago with a DigiSuite), but they're gone now in CUDA/MXO2 setups. Needing the Title app, blurs and track matte keys is just some kind of wacky. That's why I resort to using SpiceMaster sometimes. Although it isn't always a quick & perfect solution, it does give you a lot of options like letting you easily position the effect with a mouse drag..

• 7. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

It's one of my favorite secret weapons--use it for all kinds of crazy stuff: the Circle effect. If you need just a round shape, you could drop Circle on the V2 clip and set the Blending Mode to Stencil Alpha; adjust other parameters like radius and feather to taste. It works nicely for a round matte; you can use it to create vignettes and such, as well. Problem is that it's not CUDA accelerated, whereas Track Matte is, so even though that's more fiddly, it will generally net you better playback performance (and more flexibility).

Even some basic masking tools, kind of like Avid's Animatte, would be sweet. Long overdue...

• 8. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
                        mitchell james2 Level 1

I'm on CS 3 so I don't know if this will be different from your set up. Go

to effects panel - video effects - generate and you find the circle wipe.

Drop that on top clip. Then in effects control panel open your circle wipe.

Go to blending  mode and change it to stencil alpha. Now you see your

footage in circle. Open feather and soften you edge. Radius will change the

size of the wipe. This will give you clean footage in middle and your blur

on the outside.

Mitch Moths * Production Manager

WXOW-TV  ABC Television, La Crosse, WI

WQOW-TV  ABC Television, Eau Claire, WI

Cell 608.780.5953   I   Office 507.895.9974

WXOW/WQOW Television, Inc. and its parent company, Quincy Newspapers, Inc.,

does not discriminate in the sale of advertising time, and will accept no

advertising which is placed with an intent to discriminate on the basis of

race or ethnicity.

• 9. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
                          mitchell james2 Level 1

another nice trick with the circle wipe. I add a shimmer thru graphics with it. Create a title using the title tool. Drop it on a track. Add the circle effect to it. Go into blending and use the add option. Move the circle so you can see a hard circle inside your type. Then use the feather to soften it. Now using keyframes you can set it to move from left to right thru your graphic. Change the opacity to bright or less bright. Adds a nice soft shimmer to the type.

• 10. Re: Blurring all but the center of a video ?
                            David Zeno Level 1

Hi Mitchell AND Colin !

I just tried your trick, and wow.... wow.... that's very very cool !

Sorry for the long delay in responding, I've been away for work.

It's amazing how some imagination can go such a long way.  I'm sure Adobe never created this circle effect with this in mind.

Very nice, thank you gentlemen !

mitchell james2 wrote:

Go

to effects panel - video effects - generate and you find the circle wipe.

Drop that on top clip. Then in effects control panel open your circle wipe.

Go to blending  mode and change it to stencil alpha. Now you see your

footage in circle. Open feather and soften you edge. Radius will change the

size of the wipe. This will give you clean footage in middle and your blur

on the outside.