2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 1:24 PM by sherrman45

Can docx files be imported into InDesign 4?

sherrman45 Level 1

I'm using CS 4 with OS 10.6.8 and am unable to import even the simplest of docx files from Office 2011into InDesign. There's a brief flash of a message and then nothing. Seems like there wouldn't be known issues with footnotes, etc. if people weren't importing docx files to begin with. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

• 1. Re: Can docx files be imported into InDesign 4?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately, Microsoft updated the .docx format (i.e., changed it entirely from what it was when Adobe wrote CS4). Adobe doesn't retroactively update its older programs, so you are royally screwed if you are stuck on CS4.

Try to get hold of a Word version that can open it and downsave to .doc and/or .rtf. No guarantees!! Just today I got yet another document that wouldn't get to work that way either. I had to hunt down an old CS3, 'cause boy is that fast & accurate with loading in those very same .docs that CS4 chokes on.

(For the record: I dunno if this does work correctly in CS5 or CS5.5 -- but I don't think it does.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can docx files be imported into InDesign 4?
            sherrman45 Level 1

Thanks for the info! Apparently we leap-frogged the version of Word that created the type of docx file we can import into InDesign.