6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2011 9:19 AM by the_wine_snob

Project settings - few file formats are involved

Haber1

Hi,

I would like to create a project that combines few file formats:

- AVCHD (.m2ts) files taken by Panasonic HDC-TM700 at 1920x1080i and downloaded from the camera by Panasonic's HD writer AE 2.1

- MP4 files taken by GOPRO Hero HD at 1920x720

- Stills

Videos are PAL.  I'm using PE9

What settings should I use for this project?

What settings should I use for an export file to be played on a computer?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Project settings - few file formats are involved
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I've written about pretty extensively on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com, you definitely should NOT combine a number of video formats in the same project. It only leads to trouble.

You should be able to set up a project for that AVCHD 1920x1080 video. And you can load the photos in there is they're sized to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels and you've gone to Edit/Preferences and unchecked the option to Scale to Frame Size.

But if you try to add that GoPro footage to the project, it could lead to problems.

It's worth a try, of course. But it's a very different format. And, if you start having problems with your project, it will likely be the culprit.

Ideally, when your project settings match your footage, there will be NO red lines above the clips on your timeline until you add effects to them. That's a good test to see if you've chosen the right AVCHD project settings.

But, once you do see red lines above your clips (and you will always see red lines above photos!) be sure to render yoru timeline by pressing the Enter key. The red lines will turn green. As long as you keep green lines above your clips, the program should perform well.

• 2. Re: Project settings - few file formats are involved
            Haber1 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answer.

Would it make any difference if the MP4 files were also in 1920x1080i?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Project settings - few file formats are involved
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No. It's the codec that's the issue.

That Go Pro cam doesn't likely use a standard AVC codec.

You can tell by opening the file in G Spot.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 4. Re: Project settings - few file formats are involved
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not edited any Go-Pro footage, but the tips in this ARTICLE have helped many.

Hope that they help, and I would definitely set one format, and convert to that.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Project settings - few file formats are involved
                  Haber1 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thank you, this is a very useful article!

I'll report on my experience in this project within few months.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Project settings - few file formats are involved
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That material was provided by Gonzo, who explored the Go-Pro camera (do not recall the model now, plus many new ones have been added since he wrote that) in PrE pretty extensively. Not having edited any Go-Pro footage, I cannot add anything to what he wrote. I just compiled the article for him to possibly help others. Also, remember that the article is now over a year old, so changes and additions to the Go-Pro line might well have changed things.

I completely agree with Steve - one is always better off by choosing one format and specs. (usually either the most common to that Project, or the most common for the Presets available), and then converting all other footage to match that. Editing will go much more smoothly with that workflow. As most of my Projects are SD DVD, if I get handed a mixed-bag of footage, say HD 1080p, etc., then I convert everything to DV-AVI, Import that, and edit happily away.

Good luck,

Hunt