8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 9:20 AM by rick@ideal

InDesign CS 3.0.1

rick@ideal Level 1

I am on Windows XP platform.

I am unable to overlap text onto photos/graphics while designing a layout.

When I drag and drop the text onto the photo/graphic the text box turns white, the text disappears and there is a small red box in the lower right corner with a + sign in it.

My layers palettes arrangements have the text layers above the graphic layer. I have tried Object-Arrange-Bring Forward and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions???

• 1. Re: InDesign CS 3.0.1
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You have text wrap applied to the photo. Either remove the wrap or go the the Text frame options for your text frame and check the box to "Ignore Text Wrap."

• 2. Re: InDesign CS 3.0.1
            rick@ideal Level 1

I did all that you suggested. Now the text overlays the top portion of the photo, but when I drag it to the bottom portions I get the previous results.

So I just selected the type and went to "Type -"Create Outlines". That solved the problem on this project. I would think I shouldn't have to outline the type to get

the overlay effect that I want, should I??

• 3. Re: InDesign CS 3.0.1
              rick@ideal Level 1

I just tried rebooting my computer and reopening InDesign and went back and redid all of your suggestions again.

This time it worked correctly!! Now the text can be moved anywhere on the photo and it is overlapped or super imposed correctly.

I don't know what happen before, but it is corrected now. THANKS!!

• 4. Re: InDesign CS 3.0.1
                rick@ideal Level 1

I tried all your suggestions. The text would overlap the top portion of the

photo but not the bottom portion. So I created outlines of the type to solve

the problem on this project. Then I also rebooted my computer and reopened

the InDesign file, check all the settings that you suggested to make sure

they were still set. Then I retyped the text and this time it work

properly!! So now it works correctly!!!

THANKS!

Rick Steele

• 5. Re: InDesign CS 3.0.1

Glad you got it working.

Just a reminder, please delete your personal info and auto-signature info from email responses. You are not replying to a single person, but to the web page, and everything in your message is exposed to the entire world.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS 3.0.1
                    rick@ideal Level 1

I am new to this forum or any forum for that matter. I do I do what you

suggested?

Rick Steele

• 7. Re: InDesign CS 3.0.1

I think you are asking how to remove your contact info. You do that in your email, either by truning off the auto-signature in the preferences if it gets added after you hit send, or by deleting the information from the message if you can see it on screen, before you send.

If this doesn't seem doable, I suggest you make your replies by clciking the link inthe email to return to the web page and click the reply button on the thread instead of trying to reply by email.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS 3.0.1
                        rick@ideal Level 1

Thanks Peter.