10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 5:57 AM by Eugene Tyson

OCR in Indesign

mckayk_777 Level 2

Just a thought!

I wonder if it would be possible in future releases of indesign to have an ocr option built into it.

If you have outlined type you would think it would be very easy and very accurate to turn it back into type.

One step further would be some sort of font identification as well so when it is converted back to type it would search your font library for a font match (just wishful thinking)

• 1. Re: OCR in Indesign
          Scott Falkner Level 5

mckayk_777 wrote:

Just a thought!

I wonder if it would be possible in future releases of indesign to have an ocr option built into it.

There is a feature request forum, but don’t expect much of a response except for the crickets. There are many respectable OCR options, including programs that ship with most scanners and Acrobat Pro, which most users on this forum already have. I see no benefit to developing this feature at the expense of other more useful features or (rare though this is for Adobe) better quality control and bug fixing.

If you have outlined type you would think it would be very easy and very accurate to turn it back into type.

I wouldn’t.

• 2. Re: OCR in Indesign
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Converting text to outlines is a destructive process, and so you should think ahead before using it. And, more important, most of the time it's not even necessary!

Just about the single reason I'd convert text to outlines is if I want to do something artistic with the text:

fail.PNG

and then there is no OCR in the world that can restore "the actual font".

• 3. Re: OCR in Indesign
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

[Jongware] wrote:

and then there is no OCR in the world that can restore "the actual font".

Well, we can ask Adobe to write one that will, as long as we're asking.

• 4. Re: OCR in Indesign
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, I'm not confident that a feature request to Adobe would be useful, but I wouldn't be opposed to writing up a little design-fiction story about the feature and passing it around to ID developers. I'd be thrilled if I could buy a $150 plugin that combined the feature-sets of decent Latin-script OCR and WhatTheFont.

Actually, after having written that out, I'm having second thoughts - maybe it is the kind of thing that Adobe would do, or perhaps the kind of thing that the Illustrator team would do. It'd be InDesign's version of LiveTrace and LivePaint - neither of which works really well, but both of which are useful in a pinch.

• 5. Re: OCR in Indesign
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not just do the OCR in Acrobat then save it as RTF. Tidy up the text in Word. Then bring it into Indesign and style it to your liking?

Or if you OCR in Acrobat you could use the PDF2ID plugin

• 6. Re: OCR in Indesign
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's pretty much what I do anyways. I was just saying that, if I was going to put in a feature request for something that I can already do with the tools available to me, I'd go all the way and just ask for someone to automate a part of my job out of existence. That includes the "pick a font" part of my job.

• 7. Re: OCR in Indesign
                      mckayk_777 Level 2

Just imagine if you have an ocr that could also recognise which font the original type was in...

How many times have we had to look through a huge list of fonts trying to find the one used.

OCR in indesign:

There is a program like this for the PC you can scan a caracter and it will search your font list for matching font/s.

• 8. Re: OCR in Indesign
                        Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

Have you ever tried using WhatTheFont! service by MyFonts?

http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Hope that helps.

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

http://tomaxxi.com

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: OCR in Indesign
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ummm....

If the document is open in ID and the type is NOT converted to outlines, ID knows what the font should be, missing or not. Why do you want to convert to outlines to identify the font?

• 10. Re: OCR in Indesign
                            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

http://www.whatfontis.com/ is pretty good too

1 person found this helpful