1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 12:14 PM by gkaiseril

Want to debug my Java script?

srinivas1506 Level 1

Hello,

I am developing an VISITOR Adobe Interactive Form, i have Designer 8.1 and Reader 9.0 in my Windows 7 Laptop. When i checked the menu EDIT-->form properties --> Compatability, its Adobe XML form File (XDP)

When i opened this VISITOR interactive form in a browser, right clicking and checked form PROPERTIES, then i saw the "PDF Version: 1.6 (Acrobat 7.x)"

I am trying to debug my Java script on a VISITOR interactive form, i found this link in google

http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=950914

But, when you see my case, i did not see the mentioned MENU-->EDIT-->PREFERENCES-->CONSOLE stuff on my development, pls. see the below screen shots and suggest me how to put the debugger settings in my case,

1_I did not see any MENU here on the LiveCycle Designers in order to set the settings of debugging my Java Script

1_I did not see any MENU here on the LiveCycle Designers in order to set the settings of debugging my Java Script.jpg
      ==============================================================
      2_I did not see any MENU either on this tab of PREVIEW of PDF.....in order to set the settings to debug my Java Script
      2_I did not see any MENU either on this tab of PREVIEW of PDF.....in order to set the settings to debug my Java Script.jpg
      3_I guess.... this is not the EDIT item on MENU your are referencing in your SDN answer, because, i did not see any PREFERENCES option under this EDIT
      3_I guess.... this is not the EDIT item on MENU your are referencing in your SDN answer, because, i did not see any PREFERENCES option under this EDIT.jpg
      4_If i open any external (this is Adobe Acrobat Guide downloaded from Google) PDF, there i can see MENU_EDIT_PREFERENCE items_but, in my developement I can not see this stuff in order to put debugger settings
      4_If i open any external (this is Adobe Acrobat Guide downloaded from Google) PDF, there i can see MENU_EDIT_PREFERENCE items_but, in my developement I can not see this stuff in order to put debugger settings.jpg
      Thank you,
        • 1. Re: Want to debug my Java script?
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You should be using a full PDF processing application like Adobe Acrobat or Nitro PDF and not a reader application like Adobe Reader or what ever reader product Google is pushing

From one of the responders:

"To enable the JavaScript Debugger for LiveCycle Designer:
          "Open LiveCycle Designer.
          "Open Acrobat Professional.
          "In Acrobat Professional, select Edit > Preferences.
          "Select JavaScript from the list on the left.
          "Select Enable Acrobat JavaScript if it is not already selected.
          "From the JavaScript Debugger options, select Enable JavaScript Debugger After Acrobat Is Restarted.
          "Select Enable Interactive Console. This option enables you to evaluate code that you write in the console window.
          "Select Show Console On Errors And Messages. This option ensures that whenever you make mistakes, the console displays helpful information.
          "Click OK to close the Preferences dialog box.
          "Close Acrobat Professional.
          "In LiveCycle Designer, click the PDF Preview tab.
          "Type Ctrl+J to launch the JavaScript Debugger.
          "Note: If the JavaScript Debugger disappears when you click components in the LiveCycle Designer interface, stop the Acrobat.exe process in the Windows "Task Manager. The Acrobat.exe process continues to run after Acrobat is closed so that Acrobat can open faster. Stopping the Acrobat.exe process ends the association between the JavaScript Debugger and the Acrobat Professional session, so you can use the JavaScript Debugger in LiveCycle Designer: "

Note the 3rd line down in the instructions, "Open Acrobat Professional.". It would appear you can not use Reader since it is not the Acrobat Professional product.