We're not Adobe Tech Support here. We're experienced InDesign users and some of us are beginning to learn to use InDesign CS5.5 to create EPUB files.
I used the "Relative to Page" setting successfully in an EPUB file I created recently.
However, you've not given us any information that let's us test what you've discovered. Can you give us some steps to reproduce problem, or can you post a file which can test?
As I said, it may not happen to everyone. Perhaps with a different operating platform or system version it may not happen. I was only reporting it because it happened to not just myself, but to the tech half a world away who shared my screen, saw the problem, and recreated it on his own machine/system.
Here are the selections in the ePub Export dialog box that caused the problem. I can't imagine that what is selected for TOC settings or other non-image settings would have to do with it, but here they are.
1. File > Export > Choose ePub as Format
2. In ePub dialog box: General Settings
- Include Document Metadata checked
- ePub Cover, you can select Rasterize first page or Use Existing Image File, makes no difference
- Ordering, Based on Articles Panel
- Formatting Options: Leave as Default
3. In ePub dialog box: Image
- Preserve Appearance from Layout checked
- Resolution, doesn't matter what you select, all produces the same result
- Everything in the first section below this is as default
- Image Conversion: JPEG (I've been using JPEG, but also tried it with a TIFF, and even a Photoshop file, no difference)
- JPEG Options: Maximum, Progressive
- Ignore Object Export Settings: I usually have this checked, but have tried it unchecked, and it made no difference
4. In the ePub dialog box: Contents
- Format ePub Content: XHTML
- Use InDesign TOC Style checked (I've tried the default, and my own TOC style, no difference)
- CSS Options: I've tried Generate CSS and Use existing CSS template, never used Styles only. Made no difference
5. Click OK.
If you need what I do from the beginning...
1. New file: Print (not web, which tends to not honor the HTML tags on export). I typically chose 1024 x 768 because that's the screen resolution for an iPad.
2. Command-D, place file. I've tried JPG, TIFF, even Photoshop files of varying resolutions from 72 to 300. Files sizes from 800x600 to 1024x768 to sizes approximately double this. No difference.
3. Drag cover to Articles Panel and name.
4. Layout rest of eBook, etc.
5. Display performance settings while in ID are set to High Quality.
6. Triple check for errors (always a green light before exporting).
These are ePub files that have validated, after fiddling with the CSS and XHTML file, as necessary, of course. I don't mess with any image coding.
That's the steps!
I don't do epub yet, but I suspect the problem is your choice of viewer. I've seen a lot of comments about the age and lack of upgrading on Adobe Digital Editions, and it has been suggested that it is no longer a viable viewer for files being produced in newer software.
I agree with Peter S. re: doubts on the viewer.
The Adobe Content Viewer does not render identical to iBooks on a real iPad -- something we ran into at our very first go at an e-book. So now we only use Adobe's to check if the file opens at all. If so, we upload it to our testPad and check out what it looks like in real life. (For what it's worth: first tentative steps look great, images and all.)
I don't think there is any software currently on the market that gives a WYSIWYG view of what an epub looks like on a Kindle, Adroid, iPad ... what-have-you-got ... so you'll always would need the actual device to be sure.
I totally agree with Peter and Jongware. When I made my eBooks, I checked it on my iPad, my iPhone, and the readers available on Macs for the Nook and Sony Reader. ADE is only for a quick view, it's not accurate.