12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 3:23 PM by Scott Chichelli

PrP performance on Mac vs. PC

lasvideo Level 4

Im not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but the more I use PrP and talk to other editors, the problem of poor playback  on the Mac that arent apparent on the PC seems to be a hot topic.

I love much of what PrP and AE offer thru the dynamic link. I am  concerned that performance on my Mac Pro 3.1 / 24 gigs rams / Areca  controlled 8tb raid array / leaves a lot to be desired in terms of just  simple playback of 1080 Prores clips (for example). In the source window  I I can scan by dragging the little playhead control through through  the clip and it plays very smoothly (all frames played). When I try the  same process in the record window it jumps about 10 + or - frames as I  drag. . Full resolution playback or variations make no difference. This  occurs on both the AJA and Adobe sequence configurations. CS 5.5 seems  to function better on a PC then a MAC and that could cause me to try  Avid for better performance..

• 1. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
          Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

the issue is deeper than just the software.

Apple has issues using multi-core very well, this is an OSX issue and is passed on to Avid as well.

even with a Quadro 4000 things are still not good on Apple. and FYI Avid is not so great in many ways..

even in FC the older gen has less playback stuttering (less cores no HT) than the newer models even though vastly more powerful

at that point is when we stopped recommending Apple. (nearly 2 yrs ago)

Premiere Pro CS5 Version 5.5 Testing

Mac Pro 2011 Dual 2.93GHz 

24GB 1600 CL 9

Quadro 4000

2 WD 1Tb Sata 64 Meg Cache 600 Drives in Raid 0

Video material - AVCHD 1080P 24 Frame Each Cut to 30 minutes of material

Export Codec - H264 HDTV 1080P 24 Preset Default

4 Effects per Layer - Fast Color Corrector, Brightness & Contrast, Video Limiter, Sharpen

Each Layer Scaled to 50% for 4 frame PinP view.

3 Layer - 42:24

4 Layer - 44:05

I7 990X 4.0 GHz

24GB Blackline 1600 CL 9

580GTX

4 WD 1Tb Sata 64 Meg Cache 600 Drives in 2 Raid 0 arrays

3 Layer - 32:06

4 Layer - 34:45

I7 2600K 4.7 GHz

16GB Blackline 1600 CL 9

570GTX

4 WD 1Tb Sata 64 Meg Cache 600 Drives in 2 Raid 0 arrays

3 Layer - 30:46

4 Layer - 33:36

the best option you have is to walk away from Apple particularly in light of the absurd new FCX.

no reason to stay Apple now.

Scott

ADK

• 2. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
            lasvideo Level 4

With $20,000 in hardware and software, I wont be leaving Apple. Not feasable in the current economic times.Im just glad I have one of the early 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 models. It sounds like things could be much worse. ;-)

• 3. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
              jasonvp Level 3

JCschild wrote:

Apple has issues using multi-core very well, this is an OSX issue and is passed on to Avid as well.

Help me out here.  I keep reading the same thing on this site, but every time I ask for external references, all I get back are crickets.  Can you point me at documents online that show how the BSD UNIX kernel in OS X is somehow inferior w/multi-core setups vs. Windows?

Thanks.

jas

• 4. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

Try here our finding are identical however it pertains to audio

http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm

ongoing for years and you need to read the whole thing.

However its very easy to test with FC, Avid or Adobe

Simply pull up all your cores and watch them not doing anything whilst editing..

But let me take it just a step past that..

I sell both Apple and windows systems for audio and video

We do extensive benchmarks like the ones above. For both platforms and honestly more so for audio.

http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm

as an Apple dealer (not for much longer as I see no point to it anymore) I declined to post Apple numbers on our websites.

(read apple is watching)

Add to that we benchmark literally every computer we ship

I can tell you for a fact OSX falls flat on its face both in 64bit ability and multicore multi-thread ability.

Part of the issue stems from Apple EFI bios and lack of ability to tweak c states etc.

Scott

ADK

• 5. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
                  lasvideo Level 4

Scott, I decided to see for myself the CPU core usage on my system.

1. I fired up the Activity Monitor and displayed the floating window that show all 8 cores.

2. As a point of comparison I ran After Effects in the multiprocessor mode rendering a very inense sequence. All cores lit up and maintained at 100% usage unitl the render was complete.

3. I ran PrP 5.5. I created a Red seqeunce and played it. All 8 cores lit up and ran at 100%.

My Mac Pro is an early 2008 8 core running OAX 10.6.7. It speaks for itself.

• 6. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
                    lasvideo Level 4

PROBLEM RESOLVED- By zooming in the Righr / Program Window the scanning by dragging the playback head just under the window is now just as smooth as the Preview. Thanks to all who helped troubleshoot this issue.

• 7. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

yes as i said the older 8 core works ok. its the 8/12 core with HT (16/24 cores) that you will see cores bouncing all over the place.

again like i said when we got the first new Mac Pro in we immediately tested it and its performance in FC was worse than the one you have..

then avid and adobe.. again not so hot..

Scott

• 8. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
                        lasvideo Level 4

Good to know.

• 9. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
                          jasonvp Level 3

JCschild wrote:

yes as i said the older 8 core works ok. its the 8/12 core with HT (16/24 cores) that you will see cores bouncing all over the place.

Is that OS X's fault or Adobe's?

Don't worry, I know how you're going to answer, so don't bother.  Here's another test: do you have a copy of Quicktime Pro?  Export a small clip (10-15 minutes) into Quicktime MOV format using your favorite video editor.  Fire up QT Pro and have it export to, say, an h.264 mp4 file.  While you're at it, ask QT Pro to scale the video down by, say 50%.

When you do this, do you see your cores pinning?  Or do you see the load bouncing back and forth between cores?

jas

• 10. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
                            Scott Chichelli Level 3

funny adobe pegs every core on a windows system... and any other multi-thread program..

i cant run that test as the only Apple demo i have left in the store is a single quad so 4 real and 4 logical.. really need a 16 or 24 system

nothing coming up soon in sales either.

Scott

ADK

• 11. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
                              jasonvp Level 3

JCschild wrote:

funny adobe pegs every core on a windows system... and any other multi-thread program..

Question: Has any testing been done on a Windows system with a 2 x Quad or 2 x 6-core processor setup?  Including hyperthreading?

That would be a much better comparison.

jas

• 12. Re: PrP performance on Mac vs. PC
                                Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI Jason,

absolutely... both the older 8/16 and the newer 12/24 show all cores working 100%

and some benchies to go with it

truth of the matter is our normal test is just too light to show the Xeons in a good light.. we have added a lightning efefct test to stress them more

tossed the 2600 in there for a compare

Dual Xeon X5680 CPU's at 4.0GHz

48 GB DDR3 1600 Blackline at 1600

4 WD RE4 2Tb Sata 64 Meg Cache Drives in Raid 5 array

580GTX

3 Layer - 31:00

4 Layer - 31:11

3 Layer w/Lightning - 1:11:52

4 Layer w/Lightning - 1:26:36

I7 2600K 3.4GHZ Turbo to 4.5GHz

16GB Blackline 1600 CL 9

470GTX

3 Layer - 29:33

4 Layer - 33:26

3 Layer w/Lightning - 1:46:37

4 Layer w/Lightning - 2:05:44