22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2011 7:33 PM by Jim_Simon

Tips for moving around the timeline

Navarro Parker Level 3

Trying to get the hang of this Premiere thing and use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible. I've skimmed through the online help and picked up some useful ones (like - + \ for zooming)

Is there any way to scroll vertically besides the scroll bars? The hand tool only wants to scroll horizontally.

Also, if I'm zoomed in, how do I scroll down the timeline? Page Up/Down only gets me to the next clip.

Any shortcuts to twirl open a track?

Lastly, is there any sort of gap detector? Trying to hunt down 1 frame gaps is a pain.

• 1. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
          Navarro Parker Level 3

Hey, just noticed this is my 1000th post on the Adobe boards!  What do I win??

• 2. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Is there any way to scroll vertically besides the scroll bars?

No.

if I'm zoomed in, how do I scroll down the timeline?

Mouse wheel.

Any shortcuts to twirl open a track?

No.

any sort of gap detector?

No.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
              Mortimer IOU Level 2

any sort of gap detector? Trying to hunt down 1 frame gaps is a pain.

While not a keyboard shorcut, you can find gaps in Sequence > Go To Gap  in the sequence or on selected tracks

• 4. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                BVX3001 Level 1

Actually, while not a shortcut, you can easily make it one with the Keyboard Customization under the Edit dropdown. SHIFT + G is available for instance. Thanks, I just added it for myself.

If you haven't checked it out yet, the Keyboard Customization is a great way to see what shortcuts are already in place and the many more that are available for you to program.

• 5. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Also, if I'm zoomed in, how do I scroll down the timeline? Page Up/Down only gets me to the next clip.

Try the Up Arrow and Down Arrow; they move the sequence view in "pages" depending on your zoom level. I couple this with the keyboard shortcut for Move Playhead to Cursor (found under Panels > Timeline Panel; I've assigned it as Shift+Down) to quickly fly through a sequence and park the playhead where I want to preview. It's a little more high speed than scrolling with the mouse wheel.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                    Navarro Parker Level 3

Where is this "Move Playhead to Cursor" command ? Is it CS5.5 only? I'm having trouble finding it. There no such option in my sequence panel menu Screen shot 2011-07-25 at 9.39.03 AM.png

• 7. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Where is this "Move Playhead to Cursor" command ? Is it CS5.5 only? I'm having trouble finding it.

D'oh! Thank Adobe for changing the name of the CTI to playhead in CS5.5; it was one completely unnecessary change. Anyway, yes, this exists in CS5, just as "Move CTI to Cursor."

movectitocursor.png

• 8. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                        Navarro Parker Level 3

Thanks for clearing that up! Your shortcut is super helpful!

• 9. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                          Shane P Level 3

Navarro,

You may want to submit a feture request, especially for the ability to scroll vertically in the timeline, this seems to be a sought after feature.

Shane

• 10. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                            Navarro Parker Level 3

Just submitted! The hand tool behavior should be the same between AE and PP.

• 11. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                              Toomany3 Level 1

You may want to submit a feture request, especially for the ability to scroll vertically in the timeline, this seems to be a sought after feature.

I was about to post something on this myself today when I stumbled on this.

Really, is there ANYONE out there that acutally uses the mouse wheel to scroll left/right in the time line?  I sure don't.

Now, is there anyone out there that has more than 3 layers of audio?  What?  Every one of you?  That sounds right.  Wouldn't EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU want to be able to scroll up/down on your audio or video layers instead of using a scroll bar?  C'mon!  That's got to be the most annoying thing about Premiere.

• 12. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                Shane P Level 3

Another thing I am submitting a feature request for is the ability to re-layer tracks. I am currently working on a project with 9 tracks of video and I wanted to move track 3 above track 8. I thought to myself how cool would it be to be able to click and drag tracks like layers like in AE (layers) or PS. I'm surprised this was never implemented in PP. It sucks having to insert a new track before or after if you just simply want to move something.

• 13. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Really, is there ANYONE out there that acutally uses the mouse wheel to scroll left/right in the time line?  I sure don't.

That's pretty presumptuous. I use the wheel to scroll all the time; in fact, it's my number one way to navigate a sequence. Actually, instead of a scroll wheel, I have a scroll ring on my Kensington Expert Mouse that makes scrolling through the Timeline panel a very natural and logical process.

Now, is there anyone out there that has more than 3 layers of audio?  What?  Every one of you?  That sounds right.  Wouldn't EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU want to be able to scroll up/down on your audio or video layers instead of using a scroll bar?  C'mon!  That's got to be the most annoying thing about Premiere.

Nope; most of my projects have one or two tracks of audio. I don't need to move vertically, and if this was the default, I'd be pretty ticked. My screen is big enough to view 8-10 video tracks and 3-4 audio tracks. I don't care if it gets added, but that needs to be the secondary function versus the primary.

There is always room for improvement or enhancement, but the wholesale changing of a function that is now a standard feature of an application is not a smart move.

• 14. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Another thing I am submitting a feature request for is the ability to re-layer tracks.

This is a common request, but to be perfectly honest, I don't get it. Rarely do I have a single track that contains a single element that I want to reposition above or below another. Typically a track contains multiple clips (different than in AE or PS where a layer is a single item), so while I may want to reposition one element, I wouldn't want to move another; at that point, I'd be doing this on a clip-by-clip basis anyway.

Not saying it's a bad idea, but every engineering effort incurs a cost, and IMO the benefit of this is relatively low compared to other UI enhancements. Just my take...

• 15. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                      I don't care if it gets added, but that needs to be the secondary function versus the primary.

Not late night yet, hope I'm not too silly like yesterday... yet...

Colin, but what do you think about consistency between applications within a suite?

Wouldn't it be better to get 'Mouse Wheel' and 'Shift+Mouse Wheel' working in both AE and PrPro in the same way like e.g 'Alt/Opt+Mouse Wheel' does?

• 16. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                                        Colin, but what do you think about consistency between applications within a suite?

Well, I agree that's important, but you need to consider that they're still different applications with different purposes and different modalities.

After Effects is temporally-based, but it's also--and perhaps more so--spatially-based. What I mean is that, while you are concerned with timing in AE (naturally--it's for animating), you're also focusing largely on positioning elements in space. In AE, everything resides on its own layer, even if parts of a comp are separated by time.

In Premiere Pro, the focus is different. Yes, of course, you're positioning things spatially, particularly since PPro has gained more and more compositing capabilities. But ultimately, you're primarily concerned with positioning elements in time more than in space. When I'm working in an NLE--PPro or otherwise--I'm working with full-frame video 95%+ of the time, and I'm not moving clips around in a frame. However, I am moving clips around in time--before this one, after that one, etc. Therefore, PPro and all other NLEs are more "horizontally-oriented" if you consider time a horizontal plane as depicted by the time ruler.

So, no--I do not think that moving vertically in a Premiere Pro sequence/Timeline panel is so important that it should be the default action. I understand people want this--I will not argue that--but this either needs to be a) a secondary function, or b) we need to be able to customize scroll wheel actions to accommodate individual users. Either is fine with me, so long as the current behavior is not changed.

• 17. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                          PPro and all other NLEs are more "horizontally-oriented"
                                          You bet!
                                          we need to be able to customize scroll wheel actions to accommodate individual users
                                          Go along with you again!
                                          • 18. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                            Navarro Parker Level 3

I think the scroll wheel should at least be configurable. But outside of that, Premiere is the only Adobe app where the Hand tool doesn't let a user move the current window's contents in any direction. That's *my* peeve. Once I tried the hand tool in After Effect's timeline, it's a game changer.

• 19. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                              Shane P Level 3

I put in a feature request for marker upgrades. In my workflow the ability to be able to view the comments in sequence markers without having to mouse over them would be great. Also the same for clip markers, the ability to comment and have the comment visible.

• 20. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                                david_bicho

The lack of vertical scrolling drives me crazy. I actually find it quite fantastic that Premiere have passed through so many layers of Adobe-people... GUI-experts, editors, professional beta testers and so on without any one pulling the release brakes!?

• 21. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                                  Toomany3 Level 1

david_bicho wrote:

The lack of vertical scrolling drives me crazy

Me too.  I would NEVER scroll horizontally with the mouse wheel.  And for the life of me I can't see why anyone would.  Colin must be the only one.  Just kidding;    I guess this just goes to show that it should be user customizable, period.  Some want to do it right (vertically) and others want to do it wrong (Colin-style).  Haha!  Isn't that always the case?  Your way is right and everyone else is doing it wrong?

So why not let EVERYONE do it "right" and have a little ticker in the prefrences that says "mouse wheel scrolls [] vertically, [] horizontally"?  Seems like a no-brainer... everyone gets what they want... everyone wins.

• 22. Re: Tips for moving around the timeline
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Your way is right and everyone else is doing it wrong?

Man, that's what's I keep telling people!