8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 10:42 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing 60fps in PE9

max_tyler

hello,

new here with a question about editing 60fps clips in pe9. Just recently purchased a new computer along with premiere elements to edit some of the videos i shoot on my gopro hero hd... as well as videos i shoot in my canon t2i... i understand that explaining frame rate is probably more complicated than i understand but am looking for a quick resolution to creating smooth slow motion... i shot in 720p 60fps because from what i understand when 60fps is converted to a slower frame rate or is slowed down in general it produces this desired slow motion effect? can i manually convert the frame rate or slow down to a specific speed using the time stretch tool, or is there a plugin to use? also, can u even use different settings and formats in one project.? because i understand you choose your settings prior to starting a new project... example: editing 1080p 24/30fps and 720p 60fps in one project? am i expecting to much from the elements version of this software? Any insight to some of these questions would be greatly appreciated... thanks for reading...

• 1. Re: Editing 60fps in PE9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on whether your 60 fps are 60i (60 interlaced frames) or 60p (60 progressive frames).

60i=30 actual frames per second.

60p=60 individual frames. But if you're shooting in 60p you'd better ensure your project is set up for 1280x720 60p or you're going to have problems.

Either way -- how much are you planning to slow it down? I guess have 60p, you'd get better results if you were slowing it down to 50%. But that's rather extreme, isn't it? Besides, you could probably apply Frame Blend to 60i or 60p and get a good slo-mo either way.

One thing you DON'T want to do is bring 60p into a 60i or 30fps project and then try to slow it down to 50% and expect to get good results. Video doesn't work that way.

Maybe if you could be a bit more specific about what you're trying to do.

BTW, you're not posting under more than one logon name, are you? This person posted yesterday with a question about almost mixing the very same video formats!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879357?tstart=0

As I told him, mixing video formats is a very bad idea. It almost always leads to problems later in your project.

• 2. Re: Editing 60fps in PE9
            max_tyler Level 1

Steve,

thanks for your insight btw...  ive read the gopro website... i dont know if your familiar with the camera, but its the gopro, and the website is not specific as to if the camera is shooting in 60i/60p, it only says 60fps... well anyway it was my understanding, probably incorrect, that if you took 60fps footage and converted it 24fps or 30fps it would create a slow motion effect? if that made sense... but this is a link to a video shot in the gopro hero shot in 60fps.. slow motion that looks good and clear.. here is one example.. not the video i was tryin to find but it should do... also any of these videos will have that same slow motion effect..

http://gopro.com/videos/surf/surf-hawaii-ireland-anthony-walsh-gopro-hd/

and about posting under other names, im not, i should have searched the forum a little harder before asking that question as i usually do...

thanks,

max

• 3. Re: Editing 60fps in PE9

No, putting a 60 fps video in a project set up for 24 fps will not give you a slow motion video, Max. Video doesn't work that way.

What you would get instead would be a 24 fps video with the extra frames blended or interpolated.

So, as I said, you won't get a better slow motion video from a 60 fps video file. Once it's been added to a video project, it takes on the frame rate of the project -- the extra frames either dropped or averaged into the new frame rate.

Does that make sense?

• 4. Re: Editing 60fps in PE9
                VDOSurfer Level 3

Two ways to do this.

1. Interpret footage

2. Time stretch

1. Interpret footage:

Go to the project view (Not the Organizer view for the clips which is the default, look for it in the tabs). Right click on the required clip and select "Interpret footage". Here choose the frame rate at which you want to make this footage playback. In your case the initial frame rate will be 60 fps and the targeted one should be 24 fps. This way allows you to change the frame rate according to what you want (involves some minimal calculations in case you want precision)

2. Time stretch:

Drag the clip to the 60 fps to the timeline. Right click on the clip and select "time stretch". This little window allows you to control the speed as a percentage and the time details. NO calculations needed, but precision guaranteed. And importantly, after applying time stretch, drag the clip in the timeline by its corner and drag it right to the max allowed limit. There seems to be a bug that does not do this automatically.

Let us know if this does it for you.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Editing 60fps in PE9
                  max_tyler Level 1

VDOSurfer,

THANK YOU... that was actually exactly what i was looking for... i mean i still dont fully understand as to why any of that worked out... but i guess ill figure it out sooner or later...by changing the frame rate i was able to produce the clearest slow motion effect so far out of everything else that was tryed... now is there any thing else that would make it even clearer...? like "frame blending" or somthing along those lines...? when i tryed reducing it to 24fps it was a little choppy, but 30 fps i guess worked a little  better?

Now on another note... say i wanted to start a project using many different clips.. for example.. both of my cameras... rebel t2i and the gopro.. using some footage that was shot in 1080p 24/30fsp and some footage shot in 720 60fps... is there a way to use all of these different frame rates and resolutions and even formats( mp4. / mvi./ ect.) in one project? is this where conversion comes into play..?

please excuse the fact that these questions may make no sense what so ever as i am new to video editing.. hahaha

thank you for reading....

Max

• 6. Re: Editing 60fps in PE9

As I said, Max, you can certainly try to mix those two formats. It might work. But the odds are against it.

There's a lot more to video than frame rates and frame sizes. Things like codecs (compression systems) can make two identically looking videos actually very different.

• 7. Re: Editing 60fps in PE9
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

You cannot use clips with different properties in the same project in Premiere Elements. This is because when you create a project, you create it for a particular setting of frame rate, frame size, codec, render format, aspect ratio and audio format. Clips matching these properties in THAT project will be treated as native and bring in ease of editing and playback.

Suggestion will be to use clips from one camera in one project and create anotehr project for the clips from the second camera. Finish editing both separately and decide on what format and frame size and frame rate (etc.) would best suit as a common export format. In your case, you can use 720p60 for export after editing both projects.

Somewhat on the principles of the Lowest Common Multiple that we learnt in schools.

• 8. Re: Editing 60fps in PE9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

About the best that one can do is to upgrade to PrPro CS 5.5, which does allow for some major footage mixtures, but that is an expensive way to go, and especially if the only real function that one needs is the mixing of dissimilar footage.

Good luck,

Hunt