17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 9:16 AM by Joey Morelli

AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...

Joey Morelli Level 1

Hi Guys,

Wierd anomoly...I am rendering a 720p ProRes comp - a little over 4 minutes long. The work area is set for the full time and the Render Queue shows all weas rendered. I open the ProRes file in Quicktime and it only shows 2:08 of it is there (???). I have dumped preferences...same thing.

Anyone ever see this?

System:

8 Core Mac / OS 10.6.8 / 16 GB RAM / Production Premium 5 (AE 10.0.1.19) / QT 7.6.9

Thanks 

Joey

• 1. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I am rendering a 720p ProRes comp - a little over 4 minutes long... I open the ProRes file in Quicktime and it only shows 2:08 of it is there (???).

Sounds like a frame rate deal.  2:08 multiplied by 2 is  4:16, or a little over 4 minutes. 

I'd check the 29.97's & 59.94's all over the place and I'd ALSO import the file into FCP for a look-see at the frame rate in the FCP Browser.  Don't count on the Quicktime viewer for reliable information.

• 2. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
            Joey Morelli Level 1

Thanks for posting Dave...but I don't buy that. Don't trust the QT viewer I have been trusting for 12 years?Get Info shows the size of the file as 2.2 GB when it should be around 4 GB.

It cannot be a frame rate related thing. The comp is 59.94. I went in at 2:08 (where my other render seemed to be cut off) and reset the Work Area from 2:08 to the end (4:08 - not 4:16) and the rest rendered fine. The settings were the same. If it were as you say "frame rate related", that render would have been truncated as well...but it wasn't.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Okay, that's officially a weird problem.  I have NO idea why it's happening, but I'm glad you were able to work around it.

Don't trust the QT viewer I have been trusting for 12 years?

That's right!  That is precisely what I'm saying.  Don't trust the stinkin' thing... and this is a Mac guy telling you this.

On the topic of frame rates, I had another instance of QT Player lying to me just this morning.   I opened a spot made at 29.97, and I know it was 29.97 for a fact: I made it. 

What did QT Player say?  29.89.  When it comes to judging frame rates accurately, QT Player makes a great doorstop.

• 4. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                Joey Morelli Level 1

I also have problems rendering SOME ProRes 4444 movies w/embedded straight alphas. After the render stops, I doubleclick the movie icon to check it and I get an error "This is not a QT Movie" and the movie will not open. The size of the movie is correct in "Get Info", it's like the wrapper got corrupt or something.

?????

• 5. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                  Joey Morelli Level 1

I have been doing some testing...and found that if I render to my desktop (boot drive) and not the ethernet RAID we use, I do not get these truncations. Going to have to speak to my friend Bob Zelin who installed this system as to why this may be happening. Seems to be a network thing.

Crap.

Will post a resolution if I find one - peace

Joey

• 6. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Going to have to speak to my friend Bob Zelin who installed this system as to why this may be happening.

Now, THAT'S a good guy to know!

Regulars around the Creative COW who've met the gent report that he 1) knows his stuff backwards and forwards and 2) calls a spade a spade.

Those who have had their ears burned by his no-nonsense discourse describe the experience as having been "Zelinized".

• 7. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                      Joey Morelli Level 1

He's a long-time friend of mine and is regularly visiting us here at our EA SPORTS Studio in Orlando, FL. Great guy. Knows his stuff cold. Everytime we run into each other he and I ALWAYS have "spirited conversations" about the industry (where it's going / where it's been / what's good & bad / etc).

Anyway...thanks for trying Dave - appreciate it.

Joey Morelli

Senior Video Editor / Compositor

EA SPORTS (Tiburon Studio)

http://www.tiburon.com/

http://www.easports.com/

• 8. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

In what format were the erroneous drives formatted?

• 9. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What is the exact file size of the output files? Is it 2.15GB? (I have a hunch.)

• 10. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                            1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                              Joey Morelli Level 1

I KNEW it was a network bug because the ProRes QT render completed fully (4 GB) on my boot drive. Thanks Todd 

• 12. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Please be certain to scold Apple about this bug on their forums, which is now almost two years old!

You can also post a bug report to Apple here, if you don't mind signing up as a developer (free).

• 13. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                                  Joey Morelli Level 1

...waste of time Andrew. I know Apple is impossible to deal with and now that they have released FCP X, they have really showed their professional clientel what they think of them = THEY DON'T CARE.

Peace!

Joey

• 14. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I feel your pain, Joey.

A number of my clients who are FCP houses are considering moves to Premiere Pro.  Logically, this will mean gradually re-assessing their hardware platforms as well.  Why spend an extra 20-30% on hardware if your primary software tools work just as well on cheaper boxes?  Coupled with the ongoing secrecy of Apple - who knows when new Mac Pros will be released? - it is becoming impossible for many of my clients to rely on Apple's mysterious and slow-to-respond support.

Apple is certainly doing their best to alienate the professional market right now.

• 15. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                                      Joey Morelli Level 1

...it's almost like they are intentionally doing it. Very disturbing. I was brought into EA PSORTS in 08 to help facilitate a full retooling from Avid PCs to all FCP systems. Who knew FCP would be EOL 3 years later??? WTF is wrong with Apple?

• 16. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Joey Morelli wrote:

Who knew FCP would be EOL 3 years later??? WTF is wrong with Apple?

They could be abandoning the professional market, as you pointed out earlier.  The possibility also exists that Apple made an epic, monumental, unthinkable blunder by failing to release a piece of software totally ready for professional use, with newer and far greater capabilities than those found in the current Final Cut Suite 3. 

In either case, it has been the source of an unimaginable amount of vitriol and controversy on the Creative Cow's FCP X forum.  If you have the patience to sort among the growing pile of chaff on that forum, you can glean a few thoughtful kernels of truth. 

A couple are written by a gent named David Lawrence, who practically invented the NLE back in Lucasfilm's EditDroid days.  Here's an example:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/11511

David addresses FCP X's complete paradigm shift in the process of editing, and asks if it's wise to do this.

But my absolute favorite thus far is a post -- more accurately, an op-ed piece, I suppose -- by someone I'm not familiar with: a gent named Glen Hurd.  He addresses FCP X's  implications for the editing industry, editing culture, and a new generation of aspiring cutters:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/11876

The implication I draw from both these people is this: Apple didn't simply shoot itself in the foot by EOL-ing FCS3 and launching FCP X in its stead, it pointed a 12-gauge shotgun at crossed legs and pulled the trigger.

Can Premiere Pro assume FCP's mantle of Industry Standard Editing Application?  How about Avid?  Can either adequately service the needs of disenfranchised FCP users?  Either would say, "yes, of course", but I would think "time will tell" is a more accurate response.

• 17. Re: AE CS 5 renders truncated (???)...
                                          Joey Morelli Level 1

I hear you Dave. I don't have to flip through the Cow forum though...I am a Moderator on the LAFCPUG (L.A. Final Cut Pro Users Group). Our founder & Bossman, Mike Horton (with Dan Berube of the BOSFCPUG), organized the Supermeet @ NAB in Las Vegas that Apple hijacked to show it's worldwide "Sneak Peak" of FCP X. We have had to start not only a separate FCP X forum but we have had to add a "The Other NLE's" forum to handle the mass exodus to Avid / Premiere. I use them all because ultimately it's about whatever it takes to get the job done. We all just cannot believe that Apple, who WE THOUGHT was building a tight-knit loyal PROFESSIONAL FOLLOWING, has pi$$ed on our corn flakes. I can only hope that they make the next iteration of FCP X better.

What a marketing clusterf**k...If I were Steve Jobs, I would be chopping off heads over there. The only winners here are Avid / Adobe. The customer loses bigtime.