3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 3:47 AM by Peter Spier

Opinion needed - class composite

ururk

Since 2002, I've been putting together a class composite with about 250 pictures (usually placing only about 180). This is done in Adobe Illustrator. Why? The original project (pre-2002) used Illustrator for the layout-only - the pictures were cut out with a die cutter and glued on - yes, I did this too... Pagemaker / Quark wouldn't cut it in my mind, so I stuck with Illustrator.

Anyhow, I'm about 75% done with the layout for this year, and last year I asked myself the same question - Would the project go faster if I used InDesign? Currently, it takes about 7.5 hours to: move professors around/add/replace/etc..., clean up the 'bad' photos (usually about 20), rearrange student ovals, put in the names, place all the photos, command+7 each photo after they are resized underneath an oval (clipping mask), tweaks, changes, proof review, project management, and so forth.

It has been bugging me, and I thought this might be a good question for the Adobe forums...

How long would a project like this take in InDesign? Am I stupid for doing such a large layout in Illustrator?

Thanks!

John

• 1. Re: Opinion needed - class composite
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Illustrator does not create lo-res proxies for hi-res images. When you place 10 GB of image data in Illustrator and start moving it around you are dealing with 10 GB of image data. File sizes can become immense, even when using linked images, unless you know a couple of tricks.

InDesign creates 72 ppi lo-res proxies for placed hi-res images. 10 GB of image data at 300 ppi will become less than 1 GB of lo-res previews, which will make cropping. moving, and scaling those images much easier. File sizes will be smaller unless you know the above mentioned tricks in Illustrator.

InDesign also has a much more intuitive and consistent idea of what the hell a page is, something Illustrator has only recently started to catch up to.

• 2. Re: Opinion needed - class composite
            ururk Level 1

Scott Falkner wrote:

Illustrator does not create lo-res proxies for hi-res images. When you place 10 GB of image data in Illustrator and start moving it around you are dealing with 10 GB of image data. File sizes can become immense, even when using linked images, unless you know a couple of tricks.

Great point! For the trick you mentioned, would that involve having two different folders, one with low-res files, and one with high? So far, Illustrator has been able to keep up. There was a time when I nearly couldn't open a file a couple of years ago, but lately (more RAM, faster machines), I don't see a whole lot of lag (but there is some). If I had to create low-res previews, I'd certainly switch to ID. I don't let Illustrator generate a PDF as part of the ai file, which makes saving fast and keeps the file size low (77KB for an ai with 1GB of image data).

InDesign creates 72 ppi lo-res proxies for placed hi-res images. 10 GB of image data at 300 ppi will become less than 1 GB of lo-res previews, which will make cropping. moving, and scaling those images much easier. File sizes will be smaller unless you know the above mentioned tricks in Illustrator.

InDesign also has a much more intuitive and consistent idea of what the hell a page is, something Illustrator has only recently started to catch up to.

Illustrator is almost there, but artboards still are not perfect. I almost wish you could switch between 'page view' (there is no view like this currently) and artboard view. So far I've only used multiple artboards for logo variations, and recently for a map that needed to be broken into 3 different PDFs.

I hadn't really thought about the memory issue too much, though. That should be in my pro-ID list. I've never been happy with ID's layers, which is one reason I never switched.

• 3. Re: Opinion needed - class composite
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ururk wrote:

I've never been happy with ID's layers, which is one reason I never switched.

Since CS5 ID's layers panel is nearly identical to that in Illustrator.