5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 8:52 AM by bogiesan

Character modeling

coryfresh

Hello there,

I'm tasked with creating a spritesheet for some game models from source .avi animations, which have black backgrounds. The workflow is as follows:

a) change backgrounds of model animations from black to transparent

b) lower framerate to the minimum it can be without skipping important animation changes

c) export animation to a sequence of .pngs with transparent backgrounds

d) create spritesheet (this I know how to do)

Questions:

a) is there a quick and simple way to change the background to transparent?

b) how do I export to .png stills at a desired framerate?

Your help is appreciated!

-Cory

• 1. Re: Character modeling
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          > a) is there a quick and simple way to change the background to transparent?

Toward the end of this post, I describe how to use the Shift Channels effect to get use the luminance information in an image as the alpha (transparency) value.

> b) how do I export to .png stills at a desired framerate?

Just set the frame rate for the composition and render and export a PNG image sequence using the render queue.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Character modeling
            coryfresh Level 1

Dear Todd,

Thank you for the help it got the ball rolling for me, however,

I have encountered two problems:

a) When I apply the Shift Channels effect and set alpha to luminance or any other channel for that matter, it keys out the black background, but also leaves some hollow transparency in the model which I do not want.

b) If I apply the remove matting effect to the raw clip and set it to black, it does absolutely nothing, same for other colors. I have the transparent background toggled on. When I first apply the shift channels effect and set alpha to luminance, then apply the remove matting effect it furthers the hollowing of the model described above.

I want to key out the black and leave the model at full opacity. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

-Cory

• 3. Re: Character modeling
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Let's back up a step:

Do you not have access to the original projects from which these items were created? That would be the best way to aoid needing to key anything out.

If not, and if the subjects have black in them, then a simple one-pass keying operation won't be enough. I can't see what you're working with, so you may need to do something as simple as using a hold-out/hold-back matte or something as tedious as rotoscoping.

See this page for an overview of the compositing features available to you, and see this page for tips and resources for keying.

• 4. Re: Character modeling
                coryfresh Level 1

I think I got what I need from layering the source clip a few times on itself, using the shift channels effect attaching the alpha channel to luminance, red, green, blue and hue for each respective layer. It seems to eliminate the unwanted transparency holes.

Thank you for all the help.

-Cory

• 5. Re: Character modeling
                  bogiesan Level 4

Shift Channels is one of those operations from the distant past that hardly anyone appreciates Remarkably flexible little filter.

bogiesan