2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 9:24 AM by Jim_Simon

Generating Peak files is taking forever

lorenb2

I have a Dell M6500 with a quad processor, win7 64 bit, 16GB of memory and a ton of available disk space but every time I import video files, the"Generating Peak fie" takes forever.  My average file is 1GB and I'm editing together three of them.  It's always the last file that I import that hangs.  Yesterday at quitting time it had run for 4 hours and was still going - this morning it had completed.  I have 200 of these files to edit - what can I do to speed this up?

• 1. Re: Generating Peak files is taking forever
          Stevedocmaker Level 1

That seems way too long. First of all, whatever you do, DO NOT check the box in media preferences that says something like "keep cache files with the originals".  I accidentally had this checked and the program wanted to generate new peak files EVERY time I opened a project.

I have noticed that some file types seem to take longer than others.  Perhaps you could try transcoding a file into a few different formats and see if any work better than your native files?

• 2. Re: Generating Peak files is taking forever
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Creating .pek files is primarily a disk intensive process.  You mentioned your hard drive (singular) has plenty of space.  Ideally with Premiere Pro you want a minimum of three drives.

C: Windows and Programs

D: Projects and Scratch (.pek files will end up here)

E: Media