13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 3:33 PM by Shane P

PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question

Shane P Level 3

Hi,

I wasnt sure if this was the appropriate forum or if the AU forum was. I was thinking this one because my inquiry is mainy centered around PP. When doing a roundtrip edit from PP to AU then back to PP enabling stems throughout, is there a setting where you can have the stems from AU back to PP only be the length they are in the AU mix and not the entire duration of the PP sequence?

In my AU screen cap you can see I am doing a very simple cleanup of an old Voice Over. I have the Voice Over elements (purple clips) cut to length and placed in position where necessary. Is it possible when sending back to PP to retain the individual clip lengths in the PP timeline so if I want to slide the clips around in time I dont have to cut the clips again? Is there a buried setting/preference for this?

audition.jpg

premiere.jpg

Thanks,

Shane

• 1. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

No, you can't do that yet.

Since round-tripping to Au from Pr is a new feature that will likely keep evolving, a feature request is a good idea.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Jeff

• 2. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
            Shane P Level 3

Jeff,

I will indeed put in a feature request. The round tripping is sweet, having the in and out points of all of the audio clips come back in as they went out would be even sweeter.

Thank you for your response, it's appreciated.

Shane

• 3. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
              BVX3001 Level 1

Maybe I don't understand you completely, or maybe Audition works differently than Soundbooth, but when sending an audio file from PP 5.0 to Sb with a Render & Replace, it retains its edited duration when updated back in Premiere.  If the file is trimmed in Sb, it returns to Premiere shorter, starting at the first frame of its attached video clip if there is one, so out of synch if you trimmed anything off the head of the audio portion in Sb.

• 4. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                Shane P Level 3

That is correct. SB would keep the correct duration with render & replace. Audition certainly keeps the audio in sync with the video and timecode hower if you have a 10 second audio clip @ the 5 minute mark in a PP sequence (and the duration of the sequence is 15 minutes),and you round trip in AU, AU will send back a 15 minute audio track the duration of the entire sequence. The audio will exist at the correct place in the track, however the remainder of the clip is empty. So if you wanted to stay in PP and shift the audio clip to another point in time you have to essentially trim the clip down to the length desired before shitfting.

The workflow from PP to AU is great, and is painless, however I feel that in the CS6 release of AU it should send the audio clips back at the same duration it receives them. Other than that its fantastic. Hope that clarfies.

Shane

• 5. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                  lasvideo Level 4

Thats a real good thing to make a feature request for. The current method as you describe it is quite inefficient and awkward.

• 6. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                    Shane P Level 3

I'm going to put in a feature request for that now. Maybe if enough of us put in the request Adobe with have the AU dev team tweak that in either an update or in CS6. I'm actually surprised they didn't make sure it worked that way right from the start considering that's something that SB could do. Don't get me wrong I am thrilled that AU is back in the line up but it can use some tweaking and a littler cleaner intergration with PP. Would be nice if AU could play nice with AE in the same respect. But if it doesn't that's ok, AE's not really for editing anyway.

At this point it's probably easier instead of sending clips from AU back to PP to just export from AU and reimport into PP if unless you are sending back your final cut and no further audio tweaking is necessary. Superb going from PP to AU, but a little clunky coming back.

Shane

• 7. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The current method is generally used when editing is done.  The point of going back into PP is for export, not for more editing.

It's no different than sending a group of clips to AE.  You end up with one DL'd comp in the sequence.

• 8. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                        Shane P Level 3

Jim,

I understand and agree that the current method is for exporting a final piece out of PP. It would be nice to have the option in the AU export dialog to either choose soemthing like "stem  - length of sequence" or "stem - retain clip duration" in the event you want to make a last minute change or a client requests that an audio clip be moved to another point in time or something.

Shane

• 9. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                          lasvideo Level 4

Shane...definite yes to stem length defined by seq or clip. Could you please write up a request for features and post it here? Then me and others can copy and paste it into our own requests to Adobe. That way the message will be clear and consistent.

• 10. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                            Shane P Level 3

Sure you will do it now.

Shane

• 11. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                              Shane P Level 3

Audition Development Team,

The integration between Premiere Pro 5.5 and Audition 5.5 is superb. The ability to export an entire PP sequence to AU is amazing and works like a charm.

However an additional option associated with the "Export each track as stem" to retain an audio clips duration when exporting back into PP would be excellent. Perhaps a check box that says "Maintain Clip Duration".

In this respect after round tripping from PP to Audition, if a request was made to have an audio clip shifted to a different point in time in PP it would be easy to do so.
                              • 12. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                                lasvideo Level 4

Thanks Shane. I just filed my feature request.

• 13. Re: PP 5.5 - Audition 5.5 Roundtrip Question
                                  Shane P Level 3

Awesome, I just hope there are enough requests for it. More options are always nice

Shane