3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 10:54 AM by Frédéric Segard

Switch from Final Cut Studio 3 to Production Premium CS 5.5 on Mac

ISDV Level 1

Hello everyone!

My first post over here because I like to switch from Apple Final Cut Studio 3 to Adobe Production Premium CS 5.5. In late 2009 I switched from Windows to Mac after 25 years using computers. I’m having lots of problems with editing my XDCAM HD Professional Disc footage in FCP 7, and it looks that with the coming of the X-version nothing is going to change about it. So time to move on, drop Apple’s software and come back to Adobe that I already have used a lot in the past. Unfortunately I still have going to use my Mac.

With the Production Premium CS 5.5 bundle I also want to get the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 Mac card. Is this card going to give me a lot more real-time performance then without using it? Apple really disappointed me with its real-time capability’s?

And how about it when using After Effects, is this application also benefitting from the Quadro cards his power?

Does the card also involve in rendering for DVD and Blu-ray in Media Encoder?

I’ve been reading somewhere that there have been driver problems when updating to the latest or second last version of Mac OS X. Are those problems solved?

Can I mix my audio in Adobe Premiere using a Mackie Control Universal Pro?

Any other tips or ideas for my setup are also welcome of course.

This is the setup I’m currently using:

Mac Pro early 2009 (4,1) dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2,66 GHz (Nehalem)

16 GB original Apple DDR3 RAM
      ATI Radeon HD 4870

640 GB System HDD

3x Seagate 1 TB internal drives

Sonnet Fusion D400QR5 with 4x Seagate 1.5 TB drives in RAID5 mode

Sonnet Tempo SATA E4P controller

Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme 3

LG BE12LU30 external Blu-ray Disc drive

Mac OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard

Thanks in advanced!

Friendly greetings.

• 1. Re: Switch from Final Cut Studio 3 to Production Premium CS 5.5 on Mac
          Frédéric Segard Level 2

Welcome fellow switcher!  I'm a FCP user to, that will be switching in 2-3 weeks. Waiting for my new computer to arrive! But in my case, I'm going to the PC side. And yeah.... FCPX.... what a joke for us all!

Yes, you will see benefits with a Quadro 4000 on your Mac Pro. Mercury Playback Engine will be really speedy. Something we FCP users are not familliar with.... REAL-TIME!!!!  And nVidia has drivers for After Effects and Photoshop to take advantage of the Quadro architecture. It will however, not help at all for encoding in Encore. That is purely a CPU intensive application. But your dual xeon 8 core should handle that nicely.

As for the driver updages with OSX... I'm not sure. Have you checked the nVidia forums?

Mackie Control Universal Pro... I can say for sure that it's supported in Audition, that now comes standard with CS5.5! And by the way, Audition is a kick *** app that blows away Soundrack Pro, so I'm really stoked. I used to work with that app a while back, and also when it was known as CoolEdit Pro. But honestly, if the drivers are system wide, I wouldn't be surprised that it could work in premierepro. Check the Mackie forums to be sure.

• 2. Re: Switch from Final Cut Studio 3 to Production Premium CS 5.5 on Mac
            ISDV Level 1

Thank you very much Frederic!

Your answers are helping me a lot. Now I know that buying the Quadro 4000 Mac isn't a bad buy. Can't switch to Windows again at this moment, but in the future I certainly will.

Yeah, real-time is something that FCP doesn't know. You can't believe how much I was dissapointed when I fired up FCP for the first time. Coming from Matrox DigiSuite LE MAX, RT.X100 Xtreme Pro and Avid Xpress Studio it was a very big step back.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Switch from Final Cut Studio 3 to Production Premium CS 5.5 on Mac
              Frédéric Segard Level 2

Hehe!  I feel your pain!  I too had an RTX-100 back in the good old days where digital video editing was like living in a house of cards! 

Sometimes I wonder why I chose FCP.... .... oh yeah.... house of cards.... lol  (those of you who had Matrox products back in the days, know what I'm talking about). But now, with the maturity of Win7, PPro and the overall technology, it's night and day.

Its a real shame that Apple royally dropped the ball on FCPX. What were they thinking?.... but then... coming from a company that pushed down our throats what we need and what we don't, is not someting unexpected. But they do make kick *** consumer products. It's too bad that they've been ignoring their professional users for a while. And from what I understand, it's not going to be any better down the road.  Hence my switching.