2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 1:30 PM by jonathanhse

Start bar not accessible when working in InDesign CS5

jonathanhse

Hey everyone,

Perhaps an odd question, but here goes.

I switched to InDesign (and a new computer) several weeks ago, and have noticed a problem: anytime I'm working in InDesign, I can't access my Windows start bar. It stubbornly stays hidden unless I push the Windows key on my keyboard, which then pops it up. It's rather annoying to always have to push that key if I want to switch programs, etc. I'm not having this issue with any other programs, including other Adobe applications such as Acrobat and Photoshop.

Any ideas?

Jonathan

• 1. Re: Start bar not accessible when working in InDesign CS5
          Stix Hart Level 5

It would help to state your version of Windows as well.  Have you checked your "start" (I think it's usually called task bar?) bar options?  I know the fact that it doesn't happen in other apps means it's probably not just checked to auto hide but it's woth a shot.  And have you rebooted recently?  I do get this occasionally in XP and a reboot fixes it.  Although I think that's more to do with the fact I have 3 screens and various programs to manage them than Windows.

• 2. Re: Start bar not accessible when working in InDesign CS5
            jonathanhse Level 1

I'm on Windows 7.

I just checked the task bar options, and Auto Hide was checked (which I prefer, since I don't like to see the task bar all the time). I unchecked the box, and of course the task bar popped up. Then I turned Auto Hide back on . . . and now everything is working properly. Very odd. The identical settings are applied now as before, but now it's working. Go figure. I guess that's the way computers are sometimes!

Thanks for your assistance!