6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 11:03 AM by Jim_Simon

Audio slipping on XML export to FCP?

jaxinn69

I've edited a project is Premiere CS5.5, and now I want to bring it into FCP for some tweaking.  When I export the project using 'XML for FCP' the video comes through fine, but all the audio clips are 10 seconds later than they should be.  I've tried a lot of variations on XML exporting and importing between the two programs and nothing works.  The sequence in Premiere is 'DSLR' (the footage is from a Canon 5D).  I've tried making a new timeline with different sequence settings and exporting, as well as trying a lot of different sequence import settings in FCP. (FCP is 7.0.3)

I cant just export the audio as one track, because I need it editable in FCP.  Also, other projects have exported via XML just fine, so it seems to just be this one file with the problem. I even tried it on another machine and it had the same results. Is there a setting somewhere that I missed?  Is there a standard sequence setting for importing Canon 5D footage from XML into FCP?

Is it just a bug?  This is a professional job, and I'm running behind because of the week I spent trying everything I could think of to fix this problem.  Anyone have any idea?

• 1. Re: Audio slipping on XML export to FCP?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Just out of curiosity, what kind of 'tweaking' does FCP offer than PP 5.5 doesn't?

• 2. Re: Audio slipping on XML export to FCP?
            jaxinn69 Level 1

It isn't anything that Premiere doesn't offer, I'm just much faster on FCP in this one specific area.  (audio level keyframing per clip) 

In fact, if anyone has a link to a solid "audio level keyframing per clip" tutorial I'd really love to see it.  I've looked extensively and cannot find one.

Anyone know how to move an audio clip up or down a track in the timeline without it moving left or right (going out of sync)?  Shift doesnt work, is there a different button you hold down while you do it?

Any info at all would be great, and I definitely checked help/lynda/youtube.

• 3. Re: Audio slipping on XML export to FCP?
              tylerscott899 Level 1

Simply dragging an audio clip up or down will move it between tracks. If I really want to be sure it won't move out of sync, I'll line up the playhead with the beginning of the clip, then hold shift while I drag up or down, and the clip will still lock to the playhead (which is set where I want the clip cued already anyway).

• 4. Re: Audio slipping on XML export to FCP?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I'm just much faster on FCP

Learning new software can slow things down for a while.  But, if you don't start doing things in the new software, you'll never get faster at it.

You were slow at one point in FCP, too, remember.

I'm not aware of any tutorials on this subject.  Do you have any specific questions we might answer?

• 5. Re: Audio slipping on XML export to FCP?
                  jaxinn69 Level 1

" Do you have any specific questions we might answer?"

Yes, as I stated in my first post-

1. The audio is slipping 10 seconds per clip on an XML export from Premiere to FCP.  Has anyone has this problem and know how to solve it?

also

2. Is there a tutorial somewhere that details how to keyframe audio levels per audio clip on a time line (not just a whole track at once)

If anyone has any ideas on either, I'd really appreciate it. 

• 6. Re: Audio slipping on XML export to FCP?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I mean, do you have any specific questions on how to do it in PP?  Is there something missing from the Help file instructions that we can answer for you?

I just never use the XML feature of PP, so I can't help with that.  Someone else may come along and offer advice.