21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2011 7:25 AM by Andrei1

Expert System in Flash

idk...ADOBE2theRESCUE

Hi There!

I need help using flash. Can someone please help me in making a Expert system in Flash. If you don't know what an expert system is, heres the definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_system and this is a example of what I am trying to do http://www.maybelline.com.au/WHAT_S_NEW/Dream_Foundation.aspx. Please reply ASAP as this project is due very soon.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Expert System in Flash
          Andrei1 Level 6

What difficulties do you have? What specifically do you need help with?

• 2. Re: Expert System in Flash
            idk...ADOBE2theRESCUE Level 1

I want to know how to create an expert system in flash if thats possible, like first I'll first have to create the ES tree< do you know how to do this?

• 3. Re: Expert System in Flash
              Andrei1 Level 6

One can definitely build an expert system in Flash - it is totally is up to it.

But this is not as simple. Besides challenges that building an expert system presents independent of programming language, one needs to know Flash/ActionScript capabilities.

How much expertise do you have in Flash? How much expertise you have in data storage an processing?

What is the knowledge base for your ES (and I mean knowledge base in the context ES concept)? Where and how this base is stored? What is the mechanism of data retrieval? What is exploratory user interface as far as your particular ES is concerned?

As I said, it is just unrealistic to expect that enough information and help will be offered in the format of Internet message board like this one. Especially because large teams are developing expert systems spending huge monetary and human resources.

Again, you need to start somewhere. What have you accomplished to start developing your application in Flash?

• 4. Re: Expert System in Flash

Heyy

I am in the process of producing a website. I have decided to implement some interactivity in the website. I have set questions (attribute) in which users will answer (value) and then according to their log they will be given the most appropriate choice for them (conclusion). I have set out my flowchart of all the possibilities. I need help in implementing this system in flash. Are you knowledgable of how I could do this? Using flash, will I able to create the ES tree and then customise the application?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Expert System in Flash
                  Andrei1 Level 6

"Using flash, will I able to create the ES tree and then customise the application?"

Yes, you will.

• 6. Re: Expert System in Flash

Can you please assist me in doing this? Just a few steps to start me off. Thanks

• 7. Re: Expert System in Flash
                      Andrei1 Level 6

Did you do anything in Flash so far? Did you setup your Flash application?

• 8. Re: Expert System in Flash

What do you mean? I need help with the setting up my application i.e. creating the ES tree in flash. and from there i'll be fine.

• 9. Re: Expert System in Flash
                          Andrei1 Level 6

I mean do you know how to develop Flash application in general? If yes - have you set up your FLA or classes/packages?

By the way, ES is a pretty complex project and timeline style development probably is not feasible for this. You need to write classes packages. Are you comfortable with AS3 classes and OOP in general?

• 10. Re: Expert System in Flash

I have used flash many times to make simple animations, thats all. I initally chose a software called ES builder, I created the ES tree and everything worked well but that program didn't freely allow me to customise it i.e. change the font colour, position, or layout and background was very plain. That's why I chose to do it in flash. Check this website out http://www.maybelline.com.au/WHAT_S_NEW/Dream_Foundation.aspx. I'm guessing this was made in flash, right?

Thanks in advance

• 11. Re: Expert System in Flash
                              Andrei1 Level 6

Yes, it is partially done in Flash.

Do you need to build ES that makes charts or you need ES for particular category?

• 12. Re: Expert System in Flash

I want to build the ES tree/chart in Flash and from there, I believe I can customise it. Btw, in regards to the website link i posted before, would that be done in flash?

• 13. Re: Expert System in Flash
                                  Andrei1 Level 6

I already answered the question about the website.

• 14. Re: Expert System in Flash

Okayy, so are you willing to just let me know how to set my ES in Flash i.e. produce the ES tree

• 15. Re: Expert System in Flash
                                      Andrei1 Level 6

What is the connection between this website, ES-Builder and ES concept in general? Is it how lipstick is chosen?

• 16. Re: Expert System in Flash

That ES, the maybelline makeup website has implemented allows the user to reach the most appropriate foundation for them by answering questions set by the producer of the ES. I want to create a ES identitical to this one's system but using a different design and a completely different product.

• 17. Re: Expert System in Flash
                                          Andrei1 Level 6

Look, it is conceptually not difficult, especially if there are only few steps involved.

What did you do so far to start this? You need to start somewhere.

Do you know ActionScript? Do you know XML? Do you know how to design and manage databases? There is a minimum skill set one needs to make any software. Otherwise even if someone agrees to write the whole thing for you - how do you know how to edit it?

Unless, of course, you have money allocated to pay developers.

• 18. Re: Expert System in Flash

"do you know action script" --- yes

"what did you do to start this"--- like I said I have set out all questions (attribute), possible answers (value) and possible conclusions (conclusion) in a ES tree manually designed in "Microsoft Word"-- so I havn't moved it anyway to Flash. Only planned everything.

"Do you know how to design databases"---yes, I did design the database in 'ES builder' previously

"how do you know how to edit it"--- in terms of editing, I guess my existing skills and general knowledge will allow me to do this, flash is not so hard to operate

Trust me if you just inform me of how I could simply allocated the attribute, value, conclusion I will be fine with the rest.

• 19. Re: Expert System in Flash
                                              John Hall Level 4

Just based on your answers, I don't think your knowledge of Flashh will get you where you need to go in a timely manner. By the time you get anywhere near what ES does for you re: the logic of the system. You might be able to build something very simple in a timeline in Flash, but as mentioned above, if you're really going to do a  system that is more than just smoke and mirrors, you'd need to be pretty familiar with object-oriented programing and have a clear approach using a design pattern like presentation model or observer model to scale this to anything useable. After you had all the logic written, you could certainly make it pretty in Flash but as complex as this is to do correctly, if it needs to be scalable I'd consider some for of TDD with unit testing along the way.

BTW, when you say you know Flash, does that mean you program in ActionScipt 3 quite a bit or are you talking about simple animations on the timeline in Flash.

• 20. Re: Expert System in Flash

can you please stop asking me questions about I know and don't know of Flash. Just assume I know everything and give me the steps needed to create a ES in flash and I will work it out myself. Thanks

• 21. Re: Expert System in Flash
                                                  Andrei1 Level 6

"yes, I did design the database in 'ES builder' previously"

What database does ES builder use?

Well, if you are so confident, in order for anyone to give you a suggestion, one at least should know what data structure is.

Please describe data structure.

How is data stored ( or will be stored)? How are you planning to get data into Flash application?

So, one of the first steps you need to take is to load data into Flash.

On a top abstract level, ES-like systems are sort of series of conditional statements (if...else, switch...case) that fork based on user input. You need UI for that.

Another approach could be to just read data collection based on user input directly.

Basically:

1. start writing Flash application;

2. Create packages of classes;

3. accomplish data loading and storage mechanism;

4. put into place simple UI.

After you do that there will be some substance to build upon. Without breaking ground there is nothing really to talk about.