9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2011 3:23 PM by Jim_Simon

Export Field Type

Thongrrrl14 Level 1

I have a Premiere project sequence that is 1920 X 1080 29.97 Progressive.

When I export it to a Quicktime (both the Animation codec and Apple ProRes), should the Field Type also be set to Progressive? It seems to keep defaulting to Lower.

• 1. Re: Export Field Type
          Colin Brougham Level 6

should the Field Type also be set to Progressive?

Socratic Answer: Do you need your export to be progressive?

• 2. Re: Export Field Type
            Thongrrrl14 Level 1

Ah, ya got me.

Let me tell you the ways I will use the video.

I am going to burn the Quicktime file to a DVD (with DVDSP), I  am going to make a 1/3 size Quicktime file (H264 codec) send send to  some folks so they can watch it on their computers, and a few folks will  want the full size Quicktime file (Apple ProRes HQ codec) to be able to  show it at their events. (That last group will edit it into the online editor of their choice and show it on a big screen via DVD or Blu-ray or some hard disk delivery system.)

• 3. Re: Export Field Type
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I am going to burn the Quicktime file to a DVD (with DVDSP),

If you're making a DVD, it really doesn't matter whether you use Animation or ProRes or whether it's progressive or interlaced--none of those go on a DVD. The only choice for DVD is MPEG2, and you could export that directly from Premiere Pro (or AME), so why not do that?

On the other hand, if you're sending a data DVD... well... why would you be using DVDSP for that? Anyway, if you're creating a data DVD, you want your export to match (but I don't think this is what you're talking about).

I  am going to make a 1/3 size Quicktime file (H264 codec) send send to  some folks so they can watch it on their computers

Again, why not export directly to a QT H.264 or an H.264 MP4? Premiere Pro and AME are capable of this, just like the MPEG2 above. There's no need for the time/space-sucking intermediate. Naturally, since it's for computer display, you'd want to export to a progressive video.

a few folks will  want the full size Quicktime file (Apple ProRes HQ codec) to be able to  show it at their events. (That last group will edit it into the online editor of their choice and show it on a big screen via DVD or Blu-ray or some hard disk delivery system.)

In that case, encode to the same size, frame rate, and field order as your sequence (and presumably, source footage), and then let the receivers of the file deal with it. You can't--or at least shouldn't--try to provide for every possible eventuality. You're already giving them the best output you can, so they can modify it to accommodate their own requirements.

Well... that's what I'd do

• 4. Re: Export Field Type
                Thongrrrl14 Level 1

Should I select the MPEG2-DVD setting, and leave everything the way it is? Or is it okay for me to boost any of the default bitrate settings? (The cartoon is only 13 minutes long.)

I want to be able to preserve as much of the detail as possible.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Export Field Type
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Just let Encore take care of the encoding by using Adobe Dynamic Link, Send to Encore.

• 6. Re: Export Field Type
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I want to be able to preserve as much of the detail as possible.

If you're finicky about image quality and are willing to learn and experiment, I find the free HC Encoder does a better job than the MainConcept encoder Adobe licenses.

http://www.bitburners.com/hc-encoder/

• 7. Re: Export Field Type
                      Thongrrrl14 Level 1

Should I trust Encore if I have never used it before? Again, I just want to make sure that I can preserve as much of the details of the animation as I can.

• 8. Re: Export Field Type
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make a folder or an iso for viewing.

Buying a couple of RW's wont hurt.

I would export from Premiere with one of the presets, tweak them a littel and import into Encore for authoring.

• 9. Re: Export Field Type
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

If you're not experienced with transcoding for delivery, then yes, trust Encore.