6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2011 10:13 AM by MarkfromMichigan

Knoll Light + After Effects Problem?

swimmer12

Im having trouble with Knoll Light Factory in After effects cs5, when I apply the Effect to a video clip, After Effects crashes instantly, and I loose all my unsaved work. Now luckily I had Autosave on and I was able to get most of my work back, but this time I tryed appling the effect to an Adjustment layer, and it worked fine, but I needed to move the adustment layer, and the second I touched the slider to move it, I get an error like this, "error, could not invoke Plugin" and After effects crashes again.

Can Someone help me with this problem, it would be very appriciated.

Thank you,

Dante.

• 1. Re: Knoll Light + After Effects Problem?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, make sure that everything is up to date. Secondly, Turn off OPEN GL acceleration. Lastly, try adding the effect to a black solid with the blend mode set to screen.

I'm having no issues at all with Knoll Light.

It also helps if we know what OS you are using and if applicable what graphics adaptor.

• 2. Re: Knoll Light + After Effects Problem?
            swimmer12 Level 1

Im running Windows 7, and my Graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

• 3. Re: Knoll Light + After Effects Problem?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Update your graphics driver. Knoll is crashing because of its GPU acceleration.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Knoll Light + After Effects Problem?
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Do you apply any other effects or transformation onto the same layer?

E.g. Knoll Light crashed every time I tried to play with the layer scale.

The solution was simple as always: pre-compose the layer; apply Knoll Light onto the layer, but play with scale of the pre-comp.

• 5. Re: Knoll Light + After Effects Problem?
                  RyanBurnsRed

Hi, I'm also having problems. I'm using After Effects CS5 on Windows 7 Ultimate. My video card is a 9800 GT and i've very recently updated my drivers. Here's what I did, I created an adjustment layer and i've applied Light Factory EZ to it. But whenever I change any of the values or move it manually I get serveral errors saying:

After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Light Factory EZ".

Then I click OK then another error saying:

After Effects error: Crash in progress. Last logged message was <8324>

<DynamicLink> <5> C:\Program Files (x86)\CommonFiles\

Adobe\dynamiclink\CS5\dynamiclinkmanager.exe

Then after I click OK, another comes up saying:

After Effects can't continue: dorry, After Effects has crashed. See

http://www.adobe.com/support/products/aftereffects.html for known

issues. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe

Technical Support (2).

( 0 :: 42)

And after all that it gives me a chance to save my project and tells me to rename it. After I rename it and click save, it saves it then an error saying

Adobe After Effects CS5 has stopped working, and I have to close the program.

However! If I pressed the Caps Lock I would be able to manipulate the settings, turn off the Caps Lock and it wouldn't crash. But if I changed any of it's settings with the refresh on, it gives me the same errors each time.

Edit: When I disable OpenGL it still crashes, but the second error message is different than if OpenGL was on. I canged the blending mode to Screen and it worked for a quick second then crashed..

• 6. Re: Knoll Light + After Effects Problem?
                    MarkfromMichigan

LightEZ Crashes.jpg

I have the same issue with RyanBurnsRed.  Applied Light factory EZ to simple jpg, crashes After Effects.

All CS5 programs updated.

OpenGL in AfterEffects CS5 turned off under Edit/Preferences/Previews

Windows 7 Home Premium/ 16GB ram

ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB updated drivers

Caps lock off.  Adding the Light factory EZ to object with blend mode on screen still CRASHES.