0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 9:45 AM by bcnian

EULA allows ads which might turn to viruses?

bcnian

Yesterday I installed Adobe Reader X and I saw in the EULA (bold mine): "your Computer may connect to a website operated by Adobe, an advertiser, or other third party. (...) The party hosting the site may use technology to send (or “serve”)  advertising or other electronic content, [... they] may also use JavaScript, web  beacons (...), and other  technologies. (...). Adobe may not have access to or  control over features that a third party may use, and the information  practices of third party websites are not covered by the Adobe Online  Privacy Policy."

Does it mean that a third party (through Adobe) can put a virus in my PC and Adobe is not responsible of it?

I immediately uninstalled Adobe Reader X. Then I saw Adobe AIR has got the same license. I uninstalled it too. And then, scared, I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player too.

I'll never accept a license in which I allow to a third party to send me "electronic content" with "other technologies". I think this part should be reformulated. For example, before opening a pdf with ads, you could be warned: "you are going to open an ad-pdf. Are you sure you want to risk the security of you computer?". Meanwhile, I'll search for old versions of Adobe Reader or any other free pdf reader with a more decent license.

By the way: the license should be displayed BEFORE installing the program, not after. I'd have saved a lot of time, installing, uninstalling... recovering the old version, ...