6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2006 2:22 AM by HughGB

extras in cross-platform projectors

HughGB
      Hi All,

I've been trying to make a cross-platform projector using MX2004, going from Windows to Mac.
      If I include the Extras in the projector then all is fine. However, I would like to keep the Extras outside the projector, just as I do for the Windows projector. When I try this for a cross-platform projector I get error messages stating that Extras, I know are present, cannot be found. I have included the Mac Extras that correspond to the .x32 Extras I’m using.

I’m using a stub projector in the main directory. The Extras are in a sub-directory of the main directory; this is labelled Extras. The stub projector opens another movie, which is in another sub-directory, called resources.

I have tried putting the Mac Extras in several different locations, but to no avail. These locations include:
      in the main directory along with the .osx stub projector,
      in the Extras sub-directory and
      in a sub-directory of the Extras sub-directory labelled “mac” or “Mac”.

When I’ve looked this up the issue seems to be dodged: the examples used include the Extras in the projector. However, they do say the Extras can be put in an Extras directory and that they will be found no matter how deep they are placed. They also give some other files, which seem similar the the .dll files the windows projector needs. These .data and .rsrc files are found in C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Configuration\Cross Platform Resources\Macintosh: DPLib, IMLLib, MacromediaRuntimeLib, Projector Resources and ProjLib.

Do these files need to be included with the Mac Extras to enable the other Extras to work or be found? There does not seem to be any information on them in the Director help file.

Strange how CROSS-platform seems so apt.

Many thanks,

Hugh
        • 1. Re: extras in cross-platform projectors
          Level 7
          You can't use external xtras if you're publishing for the Mac from Windows.
          On Windows the mac xtras data and resource forks are split and are not mac
          compatible files in this state. You have to package them into the projector,
          and then extract the .hqx on a mac.

--
          Dave -
          Head Developer
          www.blurredistinction.com
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: extras in cross-platform projectors
            muzzini
            hi.
            1. include all of your xtras in a folder named exactly "Xtras" (not "extra") and put it at the same level as your application (.app and/or .exe). your need to make an hybrid cd-rom, with both mac disk (with the .app and the "xtra" folder containing the mac-side xtra files) and iso9660 part (with the .exe and another "xtras" foled containing the win-side xtra files). all of the other files can be shared. don't worry about any other dir movies called by the the application.
            2. leave "include all xtras" option "ON", in your "publish setting" when builnding the application. but, before, check for your "configuration/xtrainfo.txt" to be sure all of the xtras you're including in your project are listed in. if not, add your own lines, ie:
            [#namePPC:"FileXtra4", #nameW32:"FileXtra4.x32"]
            • 3. Re: extras in cross-platform projectors
              HughGB Level 1
              Hi Muzzini,

Thanks for your reply, and for noticing that I put extra rather than Xtra. I had used "Xtra" as the name, but forgot when writing this - whoops.
              I checked the xtrainfo.txt file to make sure that I copied the correct Xtras to the Xtras folder. Most of the Xtras are there, some sound ones are not. However, when I play the movie the errors refer to Text and Flash Xtras, which I know are in the Xtras folder.
              The check box you refer to in your reply was "include all Xtras". In my version I have "exclude all Xtras". If I leave that box blank (therefore include the Xtras) does that mean that the Xtras are included in the projector or that the projector will look for them? More importantly, if I check it (i.e. not include the Xtras) does that mean that the projector will not look for them in the Xtras folder?

Thanks for your help.

Hugh
              • 4. Re: extras in cross-platform projectors
                HughGB Level 1
                Thanks Dave,

I think that it is all starting to make sense. Please tell me if this is correct or not.
                The crux is whether I can have Xtras external to a windows projector and internal to a Mac projector.

Is the following possible, or do I have to publish with Xtras internal to both projectors?

From windows I can create a stub projector with external Xtras, by putting the *.x32 Xtras in an Xtras folder and ensuring that I untick the corresponding “Include in Projector” tick-box in the Movie Xtras dialogue (Modify>Movie>Xtras). However, I cannot create a Mac projector with external Xtras from Windows.

In order to create a Mac projector (in Windows) I have to include all the Xtras, by leaving unchecked the "exclude all Xtras" check box, which is found under the files tab in the Publish Setting dialogue. This Xtras included in the Mac projector is not influenced by ticking, or not, the “Include in Projector” tick-box in the Movie Xtras dialogue.

I have created Win and Mac projectors in Windows that work if I include all the Xtras in the projectors: leave the “Include in Projector” ticked and the “exclude all Xtras” unticked. However, I understand that included Xtras are extracted from the projector and stored in temporary files, which is why they take longer to start. If this save is not allowed then the projector fails. This is not much of an issue, but I don’t want it to happen.

The Xtras I’m using are standard Xtras included with Director. If I download them onto a Mac and put them in the Xtras folder, would a Mac projector created without included Xtras then work?

Do you know if creating Win projectors on a Mac have the same problem?

Thanks for your help.

Hugh
                • 5. Re: extras in cross-platform projectors
                  Level 7
                  >>
                  In my version I have "exclude all Xtras". If I leave that box blank
                  (therefore include the Xtras) does that mean that the Xtras are included in
                  the projector or that the projector will look for them? More importantly, if
                  I check it (i.e. not include the Xtras) does that mean that the projector
                  will not look for them in the Xtras folder?
                  <<

To answer your first question - both. Xtras marked as include in projector
                  will be bundled in. Some xtras are automatically placed in your movie xtras
                  list as you use them, and some like scripting xtras (BuddyAPI for example)
                  need to be placed there manually, if you want them bundled in. The projector
                  will also look in the Xtras folder. It will always look in the xtras folder,
                  if there is one. If you exclude all xtras the projector still looks in the
                  Xtras folder, yes. Personally, I normally always leave "exclude all xtras"
                  checked and include an xtras folder... The exception will be when I'm making
                  testing executables and want to be able to just zip and send a single file
                  to my client. But that's about the only time I bundle them in.

--
                  Dave -
                  Head Developer
                  www.blurredistinction.com
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 6. Re: extras in cross-platform projectors
                    HughGB Level 1
                    Thanks Dave,
                    Thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've been away from my desk since Thursday.

All seems to be working as intended.

Cheers,

Hugh