5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 7:11 AM by thgordon7

can't hide video tracks

thgordon7

Probably a newbie thing, but while I can toggle the eyeball that's supposed to hide/unhide video tracks, and it did just that when I began working with it, it no longer hides them. There seem to be other problems as well. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: can't hide video tracks
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Probably a newbie thing....

You got that right.  When you click on the eyeball icon, you toggle the visibility of the layer on & off in the comp window.  To reduce the number of visible layers in the timeline, you use the Shy switch.  There's a "master" shy switch at the very top of the timeline.  Toggle it on, and shy layers disappear.  Toggle it off and they reappear.

• 2. Re: can't hide video tracks
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Probably a newbie thing, but while I can toggle the eyeball that's supposed to hide/unhide video tracks, and it did just that when I began working with it, it no longer hides them. There seem to be other problems as well. Any ideas?

The eyeball hides a layer's pixels in the comp, but not the layer itself in the associated timeline. AE treats those things separately. If you must hide a layer's track in the timeline, as Dave already mentioned, you need to shy it, that is use the guy with the funny nose button at the top of the timeline and the layer switch on the layer itself.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: can't hide video tracks
              thgordon7 Level 1

The Shy button didn't seem to hide either when I toggle it. In fact, nothing seemed to affect what I saw in the timeline, including deleting all the tracks.

I worked around the problem by copying all the tracks into a different composition. It looks as if the previous, "unchangeable" compostion included an invisible top track which I coulidn't touch. Any idea what could have happened? Though I found a workaround, I'd still like to know.

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: can't hide video tracks
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sounds weird. If the layers got frozen and ineditable, the most likely cause is some flakey plug-in/ effect having stored its data and corrupted the project... Otehr than that there should be no such thing as AE arbitrarily locking layers. Well, would require to see the project, so this is just guessing around, of course....

Mylenium

• 5. Re: can't hide video tracks
                  thgordon7 Level 1

It would look like a flake out, except nothing except the appearance in

the timeline is flaky. I could see, for example, the keyframes

highlight, and could seem to move them, except nothing changed the

appearance in the timeline. It could be explained by one invisible

locked layer at the top, maybe from an export, so I wonder if anyone's

had this happen before.