4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 11:29 AM by Pandora2121 Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: Elements 9 - export with mp4 extension

Pandora2121

Hello Steve, pls allow me to latch on this thread as I have a relative question.

I am still using Premiere Element 4.0. I am using a Sony NEX5 camera and record my videos in MP4. The video quality is great.

When I import my *.MP4 files into PE4.0, finished making the edits, and when I want to export the files out I faced the following problems.

I can only export the files to QuickTime MOV format, there is no way I can change the files back extension with *.MP4. I tried maxing out the settings to retain the quality of the video but I can see that the quality is different from my original *.MP4 source files.
      1) What other export settings can I do to retain the quality without having to increase the file size?
      2) Is there any way I can use PE4.0 to edit *.MP4 files (my original source files) and save it back as *.MP4 without losing the original quality?

This is the profile of my *.MP4 file for your reference:
      File Name : 12345.MP4
      Type : MPEG Movie
      File Size : 22MB
      Image Size : 1440x1080
      Pixel Depth : 1440
      Fame Rate : 25.00
      Source Audio Format : 48000Hz – compressed – Stereo
      Project Audio Format : 48000Hz – 32 bit floating point – Stereo
      Duration : 15 Seconds
      Average Data Rate : 1.4MB/S
      Pixel Aspect Ration : 1.333

• 1. Re: Elements 9 - export with mp4 extension
          Andreas747506

Hi Pandora,

I have played around a lot with this issue (export to .mp4, big files) and here are my findings:

1. You can't export to .mp4 to play on an iPad, impossible, forget about it.

This is how I do it:

2. I have a couple of hi-def files in AVCHD that i import and do some editing to.

3. I end up with a 6-minute movie that I export with highest quality (MOV or MPEG, doesn't matter). The file becomes around 1,5 GB (original files all together around 300 MB) with excellent quality.

4. I then use Handbrake ( www.handbrake.fr, freeware) to convert to .mp4. My 1,5 GB file is then compressed to around 150 MB with retained quality, looks really great on the computer and an iPad. I even changed the default RF of 20 to 25 to compress more and the quality was still great.

Good luck!

Andreas

• 2. Re: Elements 9 - export with mp4 extension
            Andreas747506 Level 1

And just to clarify on your questions:

1) What other export settings can I do to retain the quality without having to increase the file size?

You can't retain th quality without increasing the file size. The exported file will always be much bigger than the original when you export in full HD, and I'm using the latest software, Elements 9.

2) Is there any way I can use PE4.0 to edit *.MP4 files (my original source files) and save it back as *.MP4 without losing the original quality?

No, you can't.

You will have to use another software to convert and compress the exported file. I have tested a lot of different softwares to accomplish this and the best freeware software isHandbrake (www.handbrake.fr) but there are other software that can compress more but those softwares cost money.

Regards,

Andreas

• 3. Re: Elements 9 - export with mp4 extension
              Pandora2121 Level 1

Thanks Andreas for the suggestions. I'll try them out.

Pandora

• 4. Re: Elements 9 - export with mp4 extension
                Pandora2121 Level 1

Hi Andreas, your advice were great it helped reduce the output file size. Thank you.

Question....

Still on PE4.0, I was just trying out a 20 sec *.MP4 video with a file size of 30MB. I did not do any editing on it.
                I export it out to QT-MOV file, and use Handbrake to convert it to become MP4.
                While the file size reduce siginificantly the quality were not as good from the original MP4 file I import directly from my camera.

Will you please give me some suggestions and tips on what are some of the quality conversion settings in Handbrake which I should be making before i start the conversion?

Thanks!