3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 2:55 PM by joe bloe premiere

Upgrade License Question

Suntower Level 1

Hi,

Sorry... didn't know where else to post this.

I am considering upgrading to CS5 'Producer'?  from CS4.

When I upgrade, does the license allow me to continue to use CS4 -independently-. I ask for two reasons:

1. In case of'glitches', can I keep CS4 versions of IL, PS, Premiere, DW on the same machine as CS5?

2. I just got a laptop that is strong enough to actually do some real work. Can I move the CS4 license to -that- machine and use CS5 on my 'real' machine concurrently? OR... is there some frictionless way to move licenses back and forth between desktop/laptop so I can work when I'm travelling?

IOW: I would never be -using- the product(s) on 2 machines at the same time... even though I'd like to keep them -installed- on 2 machines.

OR... do I have to suck it up and buy a 2nd license?

Thanks again,

--JC

• 1. Re: Upgrade License Question
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You can have both suites installed at the same time.  They do not interfere with each other, nor does the new version cancel the license from older versions.

You can install each suite on two rigs, desktop and laptop, so you can work while away.  There's no need to uninstall CS4 from the desktop first.

You can also work in CS4 on your laptop while CS5 is running on your desktop.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upgrade License Question
            joe bloe premiere Level 5

You can also have CS4 and CS5 installed together
            on more than two systems (in my case - four).

The limitation of two systems applies to "activation" not installation.
            You can have both CS4 and CS5 "activated" on only two systems at once,
            but installed on as many as you like.

The deactivation / activation process is simple and instant.

License activation

• 3. Re: Upgrade License Question
              Suntower Level 1

Thanks to you both. Maybe it's just -me- but for about the 1st 6 months after installing CS4 it would periodically ask me to 're-activate'... usually after an internet outage... which is what made me wonder about their 'licensing server'.

Cheers,

---JC