1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 24, 2011 12:34 AM by Mylenium

Help with timewarp

dakooler1 Level 1

I have a few questions about timewarp. I'm trying to slow clips down (mostly of bmx/skaters, but all are action shots).

1) What are the best settings to film at to slow the clip with timewarp? I have the option of 60i, 30p, or 24p. Fast shutter speed? Anything else?

2) What kind of shot works the best? Steady camera vs. moving, simple background (cement) vs more complex (trees + sky).

3) Is it better to have the person in the shot farther or closer to the camera, or does it even matter?

4) I'm getting a lot of distortion with my clips right now (I know there should be some, but I'm getting a lot). Is there any way to smooth some of it out? (For example, one slow motion clip is of a bmxer in the air, and the back wheel distorts so much at one point that you can't tell half of it is there).

5) Any other piece of advice for using Timewarp?

Thanks a bunch!

• 1. Re: Help with timewarp
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          4) I'm getting a lot of distortion with my clips right now (I know there should be some, but I'm getting a lot). Is there any way to smooth some of it out?

Adjust the sensitivity/ threshold settings.

1) What are the best settings to film at to slow the clip with timewarp? I have the option of 60i, 30p, or 24p. Fast shutter speed? Anything else?

More frames = less difference between frames = more to work with = better quality

3) Is it better to have the person in the shot farther or closer to the camera, or does it even matter?

Same as before - close to the camera = huge differences between frames, farther away = less differences.

2) What kind of shot works the best? Steady camera vs. moving, simple background (cement) vs more complex (trees + sky).

Doesn't matter. Not with Timewarp, anyway. It's always doing a full frame analysis. Generalyl, though, structured backgrounds work better as opposed to endless blue skies... Beyond that such stuff would only matter if you were using Twixtor and separating elements with masks and mattes.

Mylenium