20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 7:16 PM by CPham2

Absolutely Cannot Export

CPham2

Hi all,

I am trying to export a 4-hour movie from Adobe Premiere Elements 9 (full version), but I cannot find a method under Share > Computer.

I've tried MPEG, but all that does is create a file that cannot be played and is in KB, so it was obvious the program didn't finish exporting even though it said it did.  I've tried the QuickTime method, and that seemed to work, but there was no audio!  I've tried the Windows Media method, but I just get an error message halfway through stating that Windows Media is out of memory.  I did check the video and audio settings and everything and they were set to the recommended settings.

I just want to export my movie.  LOL.

• 1. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, a lot depends on a lot.

What type of movie is it? When you set up your project, which project settings did you use?

And where do you plan to share the movie? Online? On DVD or BluRay? on an iPod? This will determine the best settings for output.

That said, unless you're David Lean, 4 hours is waaaaaaay too long for a movie. It can be done -- but you're going to need a lot of resources. And you sure shouldn't expect anyone to sit through it! (Rule of thumb is that an audience's attention span is 45 minutes or less.)

How much free, defragmented space is on your C drive? You're going to need many, many gigabytes of clean, defragmented space for the program's work files.

Are you editing to your C drive or to a second hard drive? If to a second hard drive, have you ensured that it is formatted NTFS and has at least 100 gigabytes of free, clean, freshly defragmented space on it?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
            CPham2 Level 1

The setting has been set for a Flip camera, I believe.  I did have AVCHD files from my camcorder and MP4 from my Flip camera.  The AVCHD file was not compatible with Adobe Premiere Elements 9 causing it to lose the audio during import, so I used a converter to convert it to MP4.  Everything should be set in the timeline.  Is there a way to check what project setting I used or even modify it?

I am planning to share the movie on DVD.

I am editing to my C drive.

• 3. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export

You're doing a number of things I would do differently.

1) Don't use a third-party converter. There are a couple we suggest in the FAQs to the right of this forum -- but you need to use pretty precise specs to get a usable format.

2) Don't mix two different files formats in the same project. Otherwise there's lots that can go wrong.

3) My advice: Open a project set up for Flip video. Put your video into it and place it on your timeline. Use Share/Computer/AVI with DV settings to output a DV-AVI of the footage. This is the best way to convert your video for use in a DVD! Now open a new project, set up to match your AVCHD specs, put your AVCHD video on the timeline and use Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset to output this video.

4) Now start a new project set up for standard DV widescreen video. Import your two AVI videos into it and do your editing. Then output your DVD.

This may seem like a lot of work -- but it's well worth if it you want to output a great-looking DVD.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                CPham2 Level 1

Follow up:

I did try the QuickTime method, and it seems to export video and audio, but only about 1/64 of the movie was exported since I received an error in the process.  It states, "Error compiling movie. Unknown error."

• 5. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                  CPham2 Level 1

Okay, I'll try that to see if it works!

• 6. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                    CPham2 Level 1

For some reason, with the AVCHD setting, the AVCHD file still has no audio.

• 7. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export

Then you are not using the correct AVCHD project settings.

Make sure that, in addition to the correct resolution, you also select the correct audio settings. 5.1 audio won't work in a project set up for stereo.

• 8. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export

How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive?

• 9. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                          CPham2 Level 1

How do I check how much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on my C

drive?  I just ran a disk defragmenter on my C drive.

• 10. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For Windows, open Windows Explorer and right click on the drive and select properties

While there, uncheck the default option to allow indexing, and apply to the drive and all folders (indexing slows down video editing)

• 11. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                              CPham2 Level 1

There is 437GB of free, defragmented space after running a defragmenter.  I did what John said and turned off indexing for the drive.  Steve, you said something about the temp files?  What does it do?

After reading through the Adobe help articles, I read the solutions to resolving the "Error compiling movie" error.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332331.html

The project settings seems to be settled, and I rendered the timeline so the red is now green and saved it.  When I tried to export the project to PC: AVI, it would reach about 75% and then I receive an error stating that the program is unable to compile the project because it is "out of memory".  How would I resolve this?  Would running applications in the background such as web browsers affect the memory?  Screen savers?

Thank you in advance!

• 12. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export

So you've got 435 gigs of free space on your C drive, right? You're not using a second hard drive for editing, right?

If so, try running a program called Advanced System Care Free to turn your computer up and dump your tmp files.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

If that doesn't do it, we could be in trouble here. Unless there's something you're not telling me, we're running out of ideas.

If you can render your timeline, your video should just spit right out, no problem. It's very rare that you can't output an AVI and it's not a space problem.

• 13. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                                  CPham2 Level 1

Yes, and I'm not using a second hard drive for editing.  All going to the main hard drive.

I just ran the program called Advanced System Care Free (which was awesome!) and dumped my temp files.

Let me try to render and save again and I'll let you know.

• 14. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                                    CPham2 Level 1

Okay.  After a few trials, with errors popping up over and over, I finally shortened the WorkAreaBar from 3 hours to 1 hour.  That seemed to put less pressure on the CPU and actually stopped the errors.

The errors are out of the way, but there is still a problem.  After I rendered, saved, and exported the project in AVI format, I went to play the file.  During the video, there would be times where the video lags, the audio out of sync during that period of lagging, and then a green screen popping up.  This happens about 5-10% of the video, the rest of the video is great!  What could be the issue here?  The video files are all in .mp4 format during export.  I mean, this problem isn't such a biggy, but it bugs me so much after spending weeks editing!

Thank you for your continued support!

• 15. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)

1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                                      2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
                                      3 - 1T WD all video files... input & output files
                                      Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file
                                      http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US
                                      Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                                      You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                                      Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                                      You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                                      A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
                                      You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
                                      I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
                                      Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing
                                      Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
                                      A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
                                      http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t
                                      • 16. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                                        CPham2 Level 1

Wait, so should I use an external hard drive for export?

• 17. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export

Yes. Ideally your media and project files should be on your second hard drive. And that drive should be formatted NTFS.

Try moving it all over to your second drive using the Project Archiver (under the File menu) and doing your output from there.

• 18. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                                            CPham2 Level 1

Alright.  I'll try that.  Does this lagging/jerking and green screen popping up issue sound familiar or am I the only one encountering this?  I looked back at the exported video file and did notice that it tends to occur in the middle of the video.  Anything at the beginning and ending is fine.

Thanks again!

UPDATE: I just ran the Project Archiver and saved a trimmed version to my external hard drive.  The program is still using the project files from the C: drive.  How would I modify the file paths of the clips on the timeline?

• 19. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export

If you used the Project Archiver, it should have copied your project file to a new location, on your second hard drive.

If you open that project file, its connected media files should also be on your second hard drive.

• 20. Re: Absolutely Cannot Export
                                                CPham2 Level 1

It works!

No errors, no lagging/jerking, and no green screen popping up!  The key to the solution was an additional hard drive and I think reducing the size of the WorkAreaBar.

Thank you so much, Steve and John!  You guys rock at what you do!