5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 5:50 PM by B Kip

Dual Monitor Color Management

B Kip Level 1

I am hoping someone can give me some guidance on steps to take for attaining a better level of color matching between dual monitors.  I purchased an NEC PA241W to complement my preexisting HP LP2475w.  Both were calibrated separtely using the same target values.  I checked the Windows CM module and verified that both calibrations are loaded.  The NEC via the Spectravision utility.  The NEC with Eye-One. An image on the HP looks too green. When I move it over to the NEC, it looks to me more correct.  Also color corrected an image on the HP using curves to reduce a green color cast.  Moving that image over to the NEC it is very red saturated, particular in flesh tones.  I appreciate that the NEC is wider gamut but have to believe that this can be compensated for.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  (A post note which may be neither hear nor there - images corrected with the HP (working in ProPhoto RGB) and then converted to sRGB and viewed in the Webs and Devices utility as unmanaged sRGB have also been looking overly red saturated..)

• 1. Re: Dual Monitor Color Management
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

B Kip wrote:

Both were calibrated separtely using the same target values. 

That’s part of the issue. Its entirely possible and should be expected that two different display types will need quite different target values to produce a match. The correct values are those that produce that match (to each other, as close as possible and more importantly, to a print next to the display you want to view match).

In terms of a green display, you’ll need control over xy white point controls. When people report their display is too green/magenta, the fix can be zooming in on the central white point of the CIE xy diagram in the SpectraView software. It will give you a better idea of how changing the x and y values will affect the white point. If the screen is too green, you‘ll want to move the white point down and to the right (vise versa for magenta). Make tiny adjustments (i.e. 0.002) and recalibrate. Understand that this only works if the calibration software allows you to enter specific CIE xy values.

• 2. Re: Dual Monitor Color Management
            B Kip Level 1

Thanks Andrew.  As the parenthetical comment in my post indicated. I have had some suspicions about the profile on my HP generated by Eye-One.   My second or third clue that something was out of whack is that NEC has a software utility (Multiprofiler) which has as one of its functions the ability to emulate another display, so I decided to try it.  Turns out that the red coordinates of the last several profiles I had generated were "out of range" and couldn't be loaded by the profile emulator, which seemed extremely odd.  Obviously, something was out of whack.  Just to experiment, I decided to calibrate with the NEC branded Eye-One puck that came with the monitor.  Luckily it worked just fine with my Eye One software.  Lo and behold I received a much different calibration with the NEC branded puck and one which was much more in line with what I was seeing on the NEC monitor.  I guess my original puck has gone bad(?}  Good news, problem solved.  Bad news, it looks like I corrected a heckuva a lot of images with a faulty monitor calibration.  But at least it seems that two problems have been solved.  On a side note, although I just started using the NEC, this Multiprofiler utility seems like its going to be pretty handy once I figure out how to use it.

• 3. Re: Dual Monitor Color Management
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The NEC branded Colorimeter and the off the shelf EyeOne Display-2 are not the same. The NEC branded unit has custom filter matrices for that NEC panel. Its what you want to be using on that unit (and it can’t be used on other units successfully).

• 4. Re: Dual Monitor Color Management
                B Kip Level 1

Huh ... meaning it won't work or will result in a bad profile?  So far I am

liking what I am seeing and the profile curves seem linearly more correct,

but I am no expert.  The obvious color disparity between the two monitors is

also much less.  Let me test it out some more.  As I said, I have been

doubting my Eye-One calibration for a while now.  Any idea how I might test

out my theory that my Eye One puck is malfunctioning?

• 5. Re: Dual Monitor Color Management
                  B Kip Level 1

Andrew:

The NEC explanation for why my experiment seems to have worked:

"The NEC branded colorimeter has 2 modes.  One is the custom mode used by SpectraView when measuring our wide color gamut displays such as your PA series.  The second “default” mode is for measuring standard LCDs.  Any other software that uses the sensor will be using the “default” mode.  So you should be able to get an equally accurate profile/calibration of a display using non-NEC software on a non-NEC display as you would from an X-Rite branded sensor."