5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2011 7:30 PM by John Hawkinson

Paragraph styles not working and spreads

graph22 Level 1

Hi,

Hope you're doing well.

I've got an InDesign document which I've set-up some paragraph styles for. I did this by selecting the text in a paragraph and creating a style that had the same font, font size and leading.

Strangely, when I try applying it to another paragraph. It actually increases the font size.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Also, how do you change your existing file so that the first and last pages are not facing pages. In essence, so that the first page is the front cover and the last page is the back cover? Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks very much for your help.

• 1. Re: Paragraph styles not working and spreads
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Second part first...

If you are working in a left-to-right document and you haven't done something odd to prevent it, a facing pages file that starts on an odd-numbered page (like 1) will have a single right page for the first spread, the two page spreads up to a single even-numbered page, if you end on an even number. ID does not like to put odd or even numbered pages on the wrong side of the spine, so if you are seeing something different, you've probaly done something odd, and a screen shot of the Pages panel would be in order.

Second Part...

When you put your cursor in the text (or select it) do you see a + sfter the style name?

• 2. Re: Paragraph styles not working and spreads
            graph22 Level 1

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the response. I'm not able to save a screen shot. I'm getting an error msg which says "Your screen sot can't be saved. Unable to create type string." I'm hitting command + shift + 3. Is there something else I should be doing to get a screenshot? It looks like it's ok though. I am getting a right page for the first page (or cover) instead of a spread and then the last page 32 (the back cover) is a left handed page (also with no spread.)

I guess I'm thinking of the situation where if you just want two facing pages as the entire document you have to create three pages and then allow spreads to shuffle or something right?

As for the paragraph styles, yes I am getting the plus sign (meaning overrides right?) But what does that mean I've done?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Paragraph styles not working and spreads
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm a windows user, so I don't know a thing about making screen shots on Macs these days. Sorry. But it sounds like that part is sorted, anyway. If you want a two-page spread to start you have a lot of options -- start with an even page number being the easiest -- most of which involve NOT allowing pages to shuffle and either deleting the first page of a three-page facing pages file (for older versions) or dragging two pages together to make a spread ( and they don't need to be facing to do this, by the way, as long as shuffleing is not allowed).

For the style, I can't say without seeing the file, but something is being applied as a local override. Hold the Opt key and click the style name and it should clear.

• 4. Re: Paragraph styles not working and spreads
                graph22 Level 1

Thanks for the info on spreads.

Figured out the situation with the style. There was a character style I had set-up awhile ago when it was a previous version of the document. I got rid of it and it's not settled.

Thanks for your help Peter. I appreciate it.

• 5. Re: Paragraph styles not working and spreads
                  John Hawkinson Level 5
                  Thanks for the response. I'm not able to save a screen shot. I'm getting an error msg which says "Your screen sot can't be saved. Unable to create type string." I'm hitting command + shift + 3.

You should get this fixed. Google the error, you'll get a bunch of suggestions [though they seem not to have worked for many people].

Assuming your ~/Desktop is not Locked, you should try replacing your screencapture preferences and perhaps a global Repair Permissions.