22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2011 7:04 PM by Frédéric Segard

Would really value people's input on this spec.

NickH54321

Hi Guys

I'm new here and have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I thought I had this nailed down and was just about  to go ahead and order it, but thought it would be good to get you guys to look it over before I commit a large sum of money. Any advice welcomed

Case - Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard [GA-X58A-UD7]

Processor - Intel Core i7 980 3.33GHz (Gulftown) (Socket LGA1366)

Ram - Kingston HyperX Genesis 24GB (6x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel

Graphics Card - Asus GeForce GTX 580 DirectCU II 1536MB

System Drive - OCZ Vertex 2E Bigfoot 120GB 3.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive

Project/Storage/Scatch - 4 x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

I'm still a bit hazy on how to configure the drives etc, but thought if i got 4 large ones @ 7200rpm it gave some options. Just for the record i'm going to be editing Canon DSLR footage.

Thanks

Nick

• 1. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
          Frédéric Segard Level 2

Overall, it looks good to me. Don't forget a good power supply 750W minimum, more if you plan on adding more hardware down the road. Also, get a side fan for the twelve Hundred. GTX cards tend to get really hot, and you want that extra coolness that the side panel fan will provide.

Since your footage is H.264, the choice of a 980 is a good one. 6 core is better then 4 for DSLR footage. If you have a tight budget, you could save some money on a 970 and safely overclock it with the appropriate cooler.

I presume your using the SSD for your boot drive? Why SATA II and not III? Might as well futureproof that investment. Have you looked at Corsair? If you're on a budget, an SSD boot drive is not necessary. It's a nice to have, but definitely not a necessity.

Also, the Gygabyte mobo, like all X58 mobos, has 2 SATA III ports, and 4 to 6 SATA II ports. Since you're getting 4x SATA III Blacks, you will be using them mostly on SATA II ports on the mobo? Your effectively restricting the potential bandwith of the hard drives. Why not maximise your investment, consider using a SATA III controler card to get the most performance out of the disks. RAIDing disks together is a lot faster. And while it is not an obligation, nor is it necessary, it will be beneficial if you do. But if your looking to cut donw costs, and single or dual layer of video is what you do, then it's fine. But consider other drive models, other then Black, if you are ever going to RAID them together.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
            Frédéric Segard Level 2

Overall, it looks good to me. Don't forget a good power supply 750W minimum, more if you plan on adding more hardware down the road. Also, get a side fan for the twelve Hundred. GTX cards tend to get really hot, and you want that extra coolness that the side panel fan will provide.

Since your footage is H.264, the choice of a 980 is a good one. 6 core is better then 4 for DSLR footage. If you have a tight budget, you could save some money on a 970 and safely overclock it with the appropriate cooler.

I presume your using the SSD for your boot drive? Why SATA II and not III? Might as well futureproof that investment. Have you looked at Corsair? If you're on a budget, an SSD boot drive is not necessary. It's a nice to have, but definitely not a necessity.

Also, the Gigabyte mobo, like all X58 mobos, has 2 SATA III ports, and 4 to 6 SATA II ports. Since you're getting 4x SATA III Blacks, you will be using them mostly on SATA II ports on the mobo? Your effectively restricting the potential bandwith of the hard drives. Why not maximise your investment, consider using a SATA III controler card to get the most performance out of the disks. RAIDing disks together is a lot faster. And while it is not an obligation, it will be beneficial if you do. But if your looking to cut down costs, and single or dual layer of video is what you do, then it's fine. But consider other drive models, other then Black, if you are ever going to RAID them together.

• 3. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
              NickH54321 Level 1

Hi Frederic

Thanks for your advice

Have made a few changes. Have uppped the SSD to a Corsair 6gb/sec. Added PSU and cooler to list.

Any suggestions on a good inexpensive controller card. Have looked at the Areca 1881 and it was really pricey. Have seen this one for £150:

Highpoint RocketRAID 640 SATA 6Gb/s Raid Controller Card - PCI-E

Also, Which Hard drives do you reccommend over the Western Digital Blacks?

Case - Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard [GA-X58A-UD7]

Processor - Intel Core i7 980 3.33GHz (Gulftown) (Socket LGA1366)

*CPU Cooler- CoolerCorsair Hydro H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Ram - Kingston HyperX Genesis 24GB (6x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel

Graphics Card - Asus GeForce GTX 580 DirectCU II 1536MB

*PSU - Corsair Professional Series AX850 High Performance 850W Modular '80 Plus Gold'

*System Drive - Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

Project/Storage/Scatch - 4 x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

*Contoller Card - Highpoint RocketRAID 640 SATA 6Gb/s Raid Controller Card - PCI-E

*Side Fan -  AcoustiFan DustProof Quiet 120mm Fan - 3 pin

Just one more thing. Is it worth getter faster RAM? could get these.

Corsair Vengeance 24GB (6x4GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C10 2000MHz Triple Channel

Thanks, Nick

• 4. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Couple of modifications to the above list:

Exchange the Corsair SSD for a 320 GB Samsung F4. Performance wise you will not notice any difference, only in your wallet you will feel the difference.

Change the WD Caviar Black for Hitachi 7K3000, especially if you consider using a parity raid.

Change the Hydro H80 for a CoolerMaster 212, Noctua or Prolimatech air cooler. No difference in performance, but a lot easier to install and less expensive.

Consider a nVidia 570 instead of the 580. You will be hard pressed to notice any performance difference.

Use the savings achieved above to get a good Areca controller, like the 1880. The Highpoint is utterly useless.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                  NickH54321 Level 1

Hi Harm

Thanks for getting back to me. From what I've seen on this forum you are a complete legend and I'm really grateful for your advice.

If I go the Raid route would I be right in thinking Raid 5 ? Have never used raid before, so sorry if that's a dumb question. Will certainly look again at that areca card. There seem to be a few 1880s any particular one to go for?

Thanks

Nick

• 6. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The advantage of the Areca line is that they support raid3, a raid level particularly suited for video editing, more so than raid5 that is better suited for high IOPS. In addition if a raid needs to be rebuild, raid3 does that job faster with less overhead than raid5. The difference in rebuild performance is caused by the dedicated parity of raid3 versus the distributed parity of raid5, which means that writing during a rebuild is limited to one disk in raid3 but to all disks in raid5.

So I would start with raid3. You can always migrate raid3 to raid5, but not the other way around.

The 1880 line has a number of models, the most important distinguishing property being the number of ports, designated like '-8', '-12', '-16' or '-24'. The number of ports mean how many disks can be attached to the controller, without using port multipliers. The second factor of impact here is the amount of cache memory. On the 12+ port versions that cache can be expanded up to 4 GB. The 8 port is fixed at 512 MB.

There is quite a price difference between the 8 port and the 12+ port versions. If you are sure that an 8 port version is more than enough for your use, then I would keep it at that if budget is tight. I have the older 1680ix-12 and all ports in use, but when the new PCIe 3.0 card is introduced in Q1/2-2012 and I have a X79 mobo, I will go for the 2xxx-ix-24.

• 7. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                      NickH54321 Level 1

Thanks Harm, you really know your stuff. Will get investigating prices. Looking at the 3TB Hitachi 7K 3000s

Just a quick aside, been speaking to the people that are going to build this and we've been talking about overclocking. They said that overclocking was easier with 12gb of Ram   Can I get away with this or will I need more. Basically, is it better to have more ram or faster processor?

Thanks Nick

• 8. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I never heard that argument before and I think it is BS.

In our database, http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php we currently have 68 i7-9xx systems with 24 GB RAM, and 34 are overclocked. 50% and they have no problems. Maybe they ought to have a look at Adobe Forums: Overclocking the i7, a beginners guide

First go to the Model CPU tab, click on i7-9xx series. Then go to the # RAM tab and click on >= 24 GB and then click on the Clock speed column header and you will see the 34 overclocked systems first.

• 9. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                          JEShort01 Level 4

Nick,

I've read that additional RAM, partituculary the larger 4GB sticks, can put additional stress on the CPU's QPI and memory management core, so that's probably where your builder is coming from.

For CS5 however, you will definitely want the 24GB on that motherboard, and so long as you go with the proper RAM you should have no issues overclocking at all. Possibly not as high as you would get with 12GB, but if it is not the same, the difference would be trivial.

Do you have the X58a-UD7 already? Is it a rev1 or rev2? I'm very happy with my rev2, but in the USA it is very hard to find that board any more.

Jim

• 10. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                            NickH54321 Level 1

Hi Harm, will go back to them with that link . Thanks.

• 11. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                              NickH54321 Level 1

Hi Jim.

I'm buying MOBO new, will check if it's rev 2. Is there another that i should consider if it's not a rev 2?

thanks

Nick

• 12. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                JEShort01 Level 4

Nick,

Some people swear by the rev1, some seem to prefer the rev2, so possibly it does not matter. Sorry, I'm not a good one to ask regarding other possibilities since I only stay up on that when I'm getting ready to buy something (which I'm not doing now!).

I can only say that I'm happy with OC'ing on my rev2 and using 24GB of RAM, so if you do in fact find one and use compatible RAM, you should be in good shape. I use 1600 G Skill 1.5v. RAM (from memory, part number ends in GBRL).

Jim

• 13. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                  NickH54321 Level 1

Thanks Jim. Will let you know what happens.

Nick

• 14. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                    Frédéric Segard Level 2

Harm and Jim pretty much answered your questions. But as for RAM, if you really want to have better overclocking capabilities with RAM, and actually see a noticable difference (RAM speed wise), then I suggest the Corsair Dominator GT 20000MHz with the Airflow II fans. Otherwise, depending on the mobo's overclocking capabilities, the speed increase will be marginal.

• 15. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                      NickH54321 Level 1

Thanks Frederic. Will hopefully place the order tomorrow. Very excited!!

Nick

• 16. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                        Shortend

I've seen the Samsung 320 GB F4 mentioned here quite often with respect to high performance. Looking online it seems there's a 5200RPM verion as well. Is HD322GJ the part number of the drive that you recommend?  Fry's & CDW have stock from $44.99. I just want to be sure that it's the correct model before I buy one for sys drive.

My current sys drive is a WD Black 1TB.

Thanks.

• 17. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                          Frédéric Segard Level 2

Never use 5400RPM drives in an editing computer. Now know as Eco or Green drives these days.

This is the 7200RPM model of the F4:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152235

Strangely, it's the same price as the 5400RPM version... go figure!

What's wrong with your current WD Black 1TB system drive? You're not keeping it?

• 18. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                            Shortend Level 1

OK so acccording to that link it's the HM320HJ. Just as well I checked!

Coupla reason for another HDD.

1. I like to keep a spare sys drive.

2. There maybe something wrong wih the WD. I built this system a few weeks back and the last few days I'm getting blue screen (disc checking) after boot up. I did WD Lifeguard Diagnostic but that does not reveal any errors. Very strange.

• 19. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                              Frédéric Segard Level 2

Strange indeed. Is it a relatively new drive?

• 20. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                                Shortend Level 1

Yes I've had it for about 6 weeks.

• 21. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                                  Shortend Level 1

I'm confused again. Another post on the forum lists the Samsung F4 as HD322GJ. Your link is to the HM320HJ. So which is it... or am I missing something?

• 22. Re: Would really value people's input on this spec.
                                                    Frédéric Segard Level 2

The 322 is the 3.5" size, and the 320 is the 2.5" laptop size. Most of the time, 3.5: drives are less expensive. Same spec drives should perform "theoretically" equally.