13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 6:47 AM by the_wine_snob

Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.

bluedolphin0502

Hello.

I am desperately seeking some help with PE9.

Here are my system details:

* Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit.

* 4 gig RAM (3.12 usable)

* AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 955 Processor 3.2 GHz

I am repeatedly getting ‘sorry, serious error and PE9 needs to shut down etc. error message. I am lucky to edit a couple of frames, and then, here comes the error message again (it also mentions ‘low on system resources’ or similar)

Things I have tried:

* Disabling Norton

* Uninstalling and reinstalling PE9 (didn’t just do a ‘repair)

* Re-starting computer

* Shutting down all other applications

* Defrag

* Doing ‘File As’ and re-saving with a different name.

I would really appreciate some suggestions about anything else I can try.

THANK-YOU!

• 1. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

What project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project? If youv'e selected the correct project settings, your video clips have no NO RED LINES above them on your timeline until you add effects or transitions to them. Is that the case with your video?

How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive? Are you editing to your C drive or to a second hard drive? If to a second hard drive, have you ensured that it is formatted NTFS and not FAT32 (as they come from the factory)?

Do you render your timeline (press Enter) whenever you see red lines above the clips on your timeline?

Much of this is covered in detail in my books, by the way, if you're interested.

If Norton is at the core of your problem, disabling it won't help, unfortunately. Most experts recommend removing it completely -- which is a major task. Here's a great article on removing Norton and replacing it with Microsoft Security Essentials -- which works much more efficiently AND is free!

http://savemybutt.com/remove-norton-and-install-microsoft-security-essentials/

• 2. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
            bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Hi, Steve:

Thankyou so much for your detailed reply.

I thought I'd try a few things before I replied to you.

• Uninstalling Norton seemed to help a bit. 

• I've worked out that the issue often arises after adding titles, transitions, stills, etc. I THINK we travel along ok if just trimming etc. (Oh, BTW, I have installed the 9.01 patch)

• When the program crashes and then I re-open the file, there is no consistency with what happens next. Sometimes it does that whole 'it appears you last project... would u like to...' bit, sometimes it says that whole thing TWICE, and other times I don't get the message at all (maybe that's when I've fluked it and managed to hit Control-S the second before it crashes?)

• How much memory should PE9 use? I have been checking regularly, and it uses anywhere between 650,000 and 1,500,000K. Does this seem correct?

• On my PDA, I have a 'task killer' program. Is there anything similar that you could recommend for use in Windows 7? (IF you think that would help, that is). There seem to be an awful lot of things using memory in the background, when all I 'officially' have open is PE9.

Here are some answers to your questions:

• The project settings match, I believe.

• All cleaned and defragged.

• The footage has actually come from two different camcorders, both mini-DV tape.

• I have four partitioned drives: C drive has 160gig free, D has 190gig free, F has 72gig free and E and G has 12gig free. The F drive is the one where I save all my projects, although footage/stills etc could come from any of the other partitions (this couldn't be one of the issues, could it?)

Hopefully this extra info will be able to help you.

Warmest Regards, and thanks again,

Rach

• 3. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
              bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Sorry, but have just realised something I didn't mention.

I often get a warning that my PE9 project is about to crash. Black vertical lines start appearing all over my project.

Thought this extra info might help.

Kindest Regards

Rach

• 4. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

So are you rendering whenever you see red lines above your clips on the timeline?

I'm not sure why you're saving your project files to your F drive, if you've only got 12 gigs free there. Why not save your project files to a folder on your largest drive? After all, it's the drive that your project file is on that Premiere Elements will use for its media caching and tmp files?

Also, why are your drives partitioned? There's no reason to do that with today's drives. In fact, it can be counter-productive. Just format the drives NTFS and you won't need to partition them.

• 5. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>four partitioned drives

Very bad... worse, in fact, than trying to edit with only one drive... since your ONE set of read/write heads on that drive are now trying to be in as many as four places at the same time... not only impossible, but very hard on the drive

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                  1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                  2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
                  3 - 1T WD all video files... input & output files
                  Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file
                  http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US
                  Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                  You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various

parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                  Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle...

this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                  You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                  A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video

editing
                  You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows

(or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
                  I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on

drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in

the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
                  Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the

type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing
                  Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
                  A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but

eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual

disclaimers
                  http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 6. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                    bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Sorry, I might have written the wrong letter. The drive I'm saving onto has 72gig free.

As for the red line issue: I actually wrote on this forum quite a while ago about that. Eventually I was under the impression that even though my red lines don't disappear and even though when I press the 'Enter' key to render that little rendering window disappears almost instantaneously - that all that was ok and that it meant the project didn't need any more rendering. Of course, though, I am very ignorant about all this, so I don't know!

It's interesting, too, what John T Smith says re partitioning. In that previous forum thread that I just referred to re the rendering, people seemed to be of varied opinion about the partitioning angle.

Here's an idea - should I do some moving around? E.g. maybe put ALL the files I need to access (video, stills, etc.) on one drive, and then my current project on one of the other drives?

Again - sorry for my lack of knowledge!

• 7. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as partitioning, this ARTICLE might be helpful.

A partitioned HDD, on today's systems, with today's OS's, is seldom needed, and if used in editing, can create issues. The exception will be a "Recovery Volume," where the mfgr. will do a tiny partition on Drive 0, creating a large C:\ and tiny D:\. Recovery data is written to D:\. but that partition only gets used, when something goes very wrong, and the OS needs to be rebuilt. There can be some very rare, backup schemes, where a user can do partitions of backups, but these cases are very rare, and would not be recommended in general.

For the Memory and Resources, if this ARTICLE has not been linked, take a look at it. First, there are some general tips on tuning up PrE, and then many links for more detailed tune-ups for the computer and the OS. Basically, they start out "easy," and work up to "more difficult," or at least "more involved."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                        bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Thanks, everyone.

Have been at this all day...

Have made a couple of discoveries. I decided to try to save to an avi. File on my computer (could not burn to disc, as received repeated 'transcoding errors'). It is now saving to the avi file BUT has been at it for nearly 5 hours! I'll keep it going just to see whether it completes successfully. But obviously something's not happy, if it's only 40% through after nearly 5 hours.

I have always had issues with rendering, also - as can be seen from my posts in the past. This particular project has many red lines above clips, still, but when I render, the rendering window comes up for only a split second. And, unfortunately, I do not then get green lines above.

When Googling, I came across this thread

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65700.

I was curious about the question of 'Does the named project.prel still have folders and files in the Adobe Folder (default location My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9?'. So I went looking on my computer - and NO, there are no folders and files in the Adobe section for this project! DOES THIS PROVIDE FURTHER ENLIGHTENMENT?

• 9. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rach,

For the "task killer" app., there is a link in this ARTICLE, down a bit, going to Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine, with some tips. There are also a lot of tips throughout the article, that might be helpful.

For partitions on a video-editing machine, take a look at this ARTICLE.[Edit] This link has already been added above - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I decided to try to save to an avi. File on my computer (could not burn to disc, as received repeated 'transcoding errors'). It is now saving to the avi file BUT has been at it for nearly 5 hours! I'll keep it going just to see whether it completes successfully. But obviously something's not happy, if it's only 40% through after nearly 5 hours.

For "transcoding errors," some of the first things to look for are:

• Any gaps in the Video portion of the Timeline. You do not want any gaps. They can just stop Transcoding, or can throw "Failure to return Frame" (or "Video Frame"). Gaps in the Audio are perfectly fine - just not the Video.
                            • Overly-large Still Images. See this ARTICLE.
                            • Odd Assets, at about the point that Transcoding fails, or yields an error message.

With mini-DV footage (what you stated is being used), with a well-tuned, moderately fast computer, and no odd Assets, Exporting/Sharing to a DV-AVI w/ Recompress OFF (unchecked in the settings dialog box), should be somewhere near 1:1 w/ the Duration of the Timeline, i.e. a 1 hour Duration of the Timeline should take not much more than 1 hour to Export/Share. Rendering (basically turning any red lines green for smoothest playback) should be even quicker. Even on my laptop, Exporting/Sharing of miniDV to DV-AVI (Recompress OFF) takes about 1/2 of the time Duration, and by today's standard is really pretty slow with but a Core2 Quad CPU. That 5 hr. time is quite slow, in very general terms.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rach,

To help us follow exactly what you are doing, when and with what results, here are some common terms, and how they apply in PrE:

• Save - the process of Saving the PREL (Project File), which involves no media, but just an XML database of links and instructions. This ARTICLE goes into more details.
                              • Rendering - the process of creating proxy files to allow for smoothest playback of the Timeline - turning the red lines green. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.
                              • Exporting/Sharing - the process of outputting an Audio/Video file for playback, delivery or other uses, based on the original Source Footage and the operations done in the Timeline. The reason that this process has two different names is that PrE changed things, with both the name and the location of the settings screens. Once, these settings were located under either File>Export, or in the Share Tab. Now, they are located under the Share Tab, but for older versions, I still use the word "Export" which is the official name of the operation in PrPro, regardless of where the process is accessed from.

With these terms, we will know exactly what operation is being performed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                                bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Hello:

Well, I have finally had some success! (after literally HOURS of pulling my hair out!), which I thought I'd share with you all.

I ended up splitting my file into 3 sections. I then completed each section fully and saved it as an avi file on my computer. I then started a New Project, and inserted each of those three avi files into this new project. I have now succeeded in burning a DVD! And what a relief.

Thankyou for all your input.

Warm Regards

Rach

• 13. Re: Rendering and Low System Memory issues in PE9.
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Rach,

That is great news! Thank you for sharing your workflow. That will help others in the future.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt