8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2012 9:00 AM by DavidHutchinson

    Glossary

    Cal Wilson Level 1
      I am using RH8. I am having problems with the glossary in the .chm file. On the Glossary tab in the .chm file, the first entry in the list of terms is preceded by ME=, that is, ME=<glossary word>. The definition is correct. I am sure that I have a corrupt file (caused by other efforts to create a glossary manually as an XML (text) file) that is causing the problem, but I don't know where to look. I have deleted the .glo file and recreated the glossary. I deleted the *.cpd and *.xpj files, and the I opened the *.hhp file. All with no luck.

      Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Glossary
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Cal

          Perhaps define a new Glossary?

          To define a new Glossary:
          Right-click the Glossary pseudo folder in the Project Manager pod and choose "New Glossary".
          Edit as desired then configure your layout to use the new Glossary.

          Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Glossary
            Cal Wilson Level 1
            Captiv8r,

            Thanks for taking time to reply.

            I created a new glossary as you suggested but still have the same problem.

            I created a new project and still have the same problem.

            It has to be something unique with my computer (registry maybe). A coworker has RH8, and he doesn't have this problem.

            Any other suggestions?
            • 3. Re: Glossary
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi Cal

              Definitely something weird going on.

              The only suggestion I can think of at the moment is to buy a pizza. Find an empty workstation location and place the pizza there. Lure your co-worker to the pizza and while they are away you swap computers. Now your coworker has the issue!

              Okay, so that was way lame. But it was the best I could do.

              On a more serious note, I really do wish I had more to offer. Unfortunately I'm a bit stumped. I'll try to bounce it off my colleagues today and see if anyone else has something to try.

              Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Glossary
                Cal Wilson Level 1
                Captiv8r,

                Unfortunately, if I transfer to the problem to my coworker I will still have to help.

                So I am going to order the pizza and keep it to myself. The problem may still exist, but at least lunch (which is probably more important) is covered.

                Thanks
                • 5. Re: Glossary
                  dsarig Level 1
                  When you say that your coworker doesn't have this problem, do you mean that they take the same project, generate a CHM file and the Glossary appears correctly?

                  If not, is your CHM the product of a merged project? If yes, maybe the problem is coming from one of the child projects.

                  Debbie
                  www.lingotip.com
                  • 6. Re: Glossary
                    Cal Wilson Level 1
                    dsarig,

                    Thanks for your time in replying.

                    My coworker created a new project and a glossary. He did not have the problem. I copied his .glo file, renamed it, and placed in my project with the problem. The problem presented in my project using the .glo file from the clean project.

                    I also created a new project (one topic, one glossary entry) and had the same problem.

                    My CHM file is not a merged project.

                    Thoughts?

                    With all that said, the problem seems to be resolved; although, I don't know what caused it, and I suspect there may have been another fix.

                    I used the Repair option in the install package. I have no idea what was repaired, but the problem is gone (for now at least). The problem was corrected in a new test project as well as old test projects (test projects = projects that I created while working on the problem).

                    Thanks again for your help.
                    • 7. Re: Glossary
                      RoboColum(n) Level 5
                      Glad you got things sorted. Maybe some component was uninstalled or became corrupted. You could try using Helpware's diagnostics tool
                      • 8. Re: Glossary
                        DavidHutchinson

                        Cal, I had the same problem with my RH9 glossary. The first entry was prefixed with 'ME=' in the CHM file until I reinstalled RH9 using the Setup files. It only happened to the first entry. Anyhow , your post was very useful. Without it I'm not sure I would have reinstalled the product.

                         

                        Job done

                        Thanks ...