3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 8:30 AM by Ned Murphy

Help!! Actions on buttons wont work????????

Garrdogg

I am having some issues with a movie clip, i had placed buttons on and the Actionscript 2.0 Play,Pause, Ffwd etc and when i test the video the buttons do not function. Please can some one help as this is a resit i am doing for my first year at uni and am really struggling with the actionscript??

Flashprob.png

flashprob2.png

• 1. Re: Help!! Actions on buttons wont work????????
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is a resit?  You should avoid placing code on objects... it's a poor practice.  Place all code on the timeline.  If they are teaching you to place code on objects, consider finding another course... AS3 would be the more logical course anyways, and it doesn't allow for code on objects.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help!! Actions on buttons wont work????????
            Garrdogg Level 1

It is a module resit that i failed earlier in the academic year..... They instruct to place the buttons on a seperate layer called buttons and place the actions upon these buttons, also they taught another coding convention where we name the buttons  and place an actions layer, in frame 1 of that actions layer the code would be

btnPlay.onPress = function()

{_root.Vid.play.();}

??????????

Would this be the easier way to go ??????? Can i post up the file to u??

Thanks garry

• 3. Re: Help!! Actions on buttons wont work????????
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should use the second approach you described where you assign instance names and keep all the code in the timeline.

I suggest you focus on getting local help.  Ask questions and get help from the instructor and the students that share the same burden as you.