9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 4:15 PM by Steve Grisetti

PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound

ThreeXH

Hi,

I was advised in the PSE forum to post my question over here as it is more video related so here goes:

I have moved my PSE catalog over from Windows to a brand new Mac using PSE9 over the weekend and I find that now on the Mac MTS 'AVCHD' video files playback but without any sound.  The Mac is running OSX 10.7 'Lion'.  Can someone advise how I can get the sound to work on these files? They appear to be using AC3 as the audio codec and were recorded on a Panasonic TZ-10 if that makes any difference.

Many Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Where are you trying to play these AVCHD files? In the Organizer or in a Premiere Elements project?

Have you tried to play one of them with Quicktime Player?

Moving a catalog from a PC to a Mac may not work well. Most Premiere Elements files are not cross-platform. (You can't, for instance, open a project created on a PC with a Mac version of the program.)

But the video files themselves should play in Quicktime Player.

• 2. Re: PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound
            ThreeXH Level 1

Quicktime won't open the file at all even if I try to force it to open the .mts file.  I will need to check the exact error but it really doesn't like it. The video does play however from within the organiser. 

The catalogue move was done using Adobes using the strategy advised by Adobe of backing it up on Windows and restoring the backup on the Mac.  This seems to completley rebuild the database from scratch on the mac from the raw files and other than this playback issue seems to work fine so far for everything else.

I should probably point out again that this is within Photoshop Organiser and not Premier but was advised to ask in this forum as its a video playback issue and you guys would probably know better than the PSE folk.  I suspect its a Mac / Codec thing rather than a Photoshop issue as I guess it relies on the OS to interpret the video.  Thats just a guess on my part though.  Being new to Macs im not really sure of the problem.  Ironically on Widows it 'just worked'.

• 3. Re: PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound

Have you tried to capture a sample of AVCHD from that camcorder on your Mac and then play that to test out whether it's a cross-platform issue?

The Organizer can be iffy sometimes -- but your Quicktime Player should have no problems playing an AVCHD file!

• 4. Re: PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound
                ThreeXH Level 1

If I try and open one of the files in Quicktime I get the following error:
                Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 18.33.50.png
                I can try recording another and copying it straight to the Mac to rule out the Windows side of things but I suspect as these files have been copied directly from the memory card of the camera I would get the same error.

I'll see if I can find out exactly what codecs are used but I'm pretty sure its H264/AC3.

The Mac is a new i5 MacBook Air 13" bought Friday night and is setup as it was out of the factory aside from Office 2011 and PSE9.

• 5. Re: PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound
                  ThreeXH Level 1

OK, looks like the QT issue is something to do with them being AVCHD 'Lite' files.  Seems these are not supported nativly by OSX so won't play.  Slightly dissapointing.

Still doesn't explain why PSE is able to play them and when it does why there is no audio?  I REALLY don't want to have to convert these when everything else I own can play them except the Mac.

Any other suggestions anyone?

• 6. Re: PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound

AVCHD Lite? What kind of camcorder are these coming from?

Try opening a Premiere Elements project with specs that match that camcorder. (The program does include specs of 1280x720 AVCHD Lite.) It's important that your project settings match the audio as well as the video specs. (What model of camcorder is this and which specs are you using, by the way?)

Then use the program to import a file into your Premiere Elements project.

This is very important to do because there are components the program doesn't install until you've opened an AVCHD project and imported video into it.

For now don't trust the video you've moved from the PC. Start from scratch for this test. And use Premiere Elements to get the media into an AVCHD project and allow it to conform as necessary.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound
                      ThreeXH Level 1

It's a Panasonic TZ-10 digital stills camera thats recording the clips.  I'm just installint Premiere Elements now to see if this handles things any better as per your suggestions.  I will report back shortly.

• 8. Re: PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound
                        ThreeXH Level 1

Well, installing Premiere Elements in addition to Photoshop Elements seems to have fixed the sound problems?! Perhaps something Adobe should take note of as it would be nice for Photoshop Elements customers to have the option of sound on their clips without having to buy the sister product!

Thanks very very much for your help and advice that has led me to resolving this issue

• 9. Re: PSE9 Mac AVCHD playback, no sound

As I said, in addition to the main program, there are a number of third-party components that are activated as you use them.

Photoshop Elements is a still image editing program, and there's no reason for Adobe to license video components for it. Especially since most people might balk at paying extra to buy components for Photoshop Elements that have nothing to do with editing photos.

That's, after all, why Adobe sells the Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements and the Organizer as a single program bundle.