17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 8:02 AM by gishnetwork

Indesign slow on powerful PC?

gishnetwork Level 1

Hi

I just upgraded my PC. On my old PC indd was pretty fast. If I had to work with .ai's in high-res display mode in indd, it was laggy but not bad. However now, working with linked .ai's in high-res mode is down right painful. I'm using CS5.5.

OLD PC:

Quad Core 2.8

8GB ram

raid 1 C drive 10k disks

Nvidia 8600gt w/256mb

NEW PC:

i7 6-core @ 3.33

24GB ram

crucial SSD's (no raid)

evga 2win w/2GB ram

With my new PC I can render fast in Premiere Pro and STILL have plently of room to play with Photoshop at the same time. I am totally blown away that with the specs of my new PC that working in high-res mode in a simple layout program like indd is slow! The .ai files are B/W line drawings, no transparency or textures, or anything of any comlpexity.

Yes, I am (as I always do) working over a network. But since I can work on huge videos and photoshop over the network simultaneously, I don't see why it should be an issue for indd. Both my NAS and my PC have dual gigabit nics and I am LACP'ing though a procurve switch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

• 1. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
          macinbytes Level 4

Try Preferences > Interface > Options… Live Screen Drawing. Set to delayed.

InDesign is pretty laggy if you have full blown LSD.

See if that peps it up. Otherwise consider looking at your live preflight, but I suspect getting off the LSD will help.

• 2. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
            gishnetwork Level 1

I probably wasn't to clear with what I wanted. I know how to work around the issue, but I don't want to work around the issue. Like I said, using the same settings it is slower on my new PC which is clearly more robust than my old.

Furthermore, with 24GB ram, the application working off an SSD, 2GB of video ram, and (now) double the throuput on my network, why should I not be able to use full blown LSD?

I mean, I can render video over the network and still use Photoshop without any slowdown, but LSD with black and whit eline drawings - of all things - isn't content enough? WTF?

• 3. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you saying the SAME VERSION of ID works faster on the old machine, or an older version?

• 4. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                gishnetwork Level 1

yes, in fact the old PC was continually upgraded cs4 -> cs5 -> cs5.5, The new PC was a clean install of 5.5

• 5. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                  Stix Hart Level 5

Try (for the sake of troubleshooting) storing the files locally, not over the network.  It could be the difference...

• 6. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?

Sounds to me like some other software present on the new box that is in conflict.

• 7. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                      gishnetwork Level 1

@Peter, why does it sound like that? The new box has the same software, and less of it at that. Which is to say that I only installed the same software I already had, but have not even installed everything yet. So, it has less (of the same) software.

I'm still troubleshooting.

• 8. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                        Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, I'm sure you already know that InDesign is known to be touchy when working over a network, because otherwise your parenthetical comment

Yes, I am (as I always do) working over a network.

would be unnececssary. Also, I gather from this comment (emphasis mine):

Furthermore, with 24GB ram, the application working off an SSD, 2GB of video ram, and (now) double the throuput on my network, why should I not be able to use full blown LSD?

that you weren't using LACP link-aggregation previously on your old machine. It'd be clear-cut, I think, that this is an Adobe problem if your network performance improved if you were to rearrange your network so that you weren't using LACP (haven't the foggiest idea how easy or hard that is, sorry) but were using a plain-vanilla gigabit Ethernet connection to your NAS.

For what it's worth, I've never seen Live Screen Draw work on any machine, ever, no matter how robust, if the linked image files were stored on any kind of network. And, honestly, it only worked more-or-less-okay on a six-thousand-dollar Mac Pro monstrosity. If you follow Stix' suggestion and move stuff local for a test, then that'd demonstrate that there's something about the network that is interacting poorly with ID. However, the next step, proving to Adobe that it's something wrong with ID that needs to be fixed, not something wrong with your network or how you're using ID, has <cough> proven to be challenging in the past.

• 9. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                          gishnetwork Level 1

@stix, as I said, I've always worked over the network, and the network is improved on this board, so if anything, it should be better.

However, I transferred them locally and it made no difference.

Also, when I switch from typical to high rez display mode, the page goes blank until I zoom in or out.

Every other Adobe app is loving the new hardware, but indd is acting like it's a downgrade!

Something sucks, that's for sure.

• 10. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

However, I transferred them locally and it made no difference.

I find this surprising... maybe a display driver issue? That's purely a guess, not even an educated one.

• 11. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?

Yeah, it does sound like it could be a video driver problem (which qualifies as some other software conflicting, more or less). New OS and new hardware bring lots of new stuff to the table that might not have been present before, even if you only have the same apps installed.

• 12. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                                gishnetwork Level 1
                                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Well, I'm sure you already know that InDesign is known to be touchy when working over a network, because otherwise your parenthetical comment

Yes, I am (as I always do) working over a network.

would be unnececssary. Also, I gather from this comment (emphasis mine):

Actually, I only added that because I expected people to say "it's a network issue". So I was emphasising that working of the network is normal for me. The only time I had issue working over a network was with Premiere Pro or AE on my old machine, but the network issue there was only marginal, since the CPU was pegging out.

In short, working over the network was never been an issue for me.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

For what it's worth, I've never seen Live Screen Draw work on any machine, ever, no matter how robust

Well, that tells me alot - maybe I was just expecting too much. I was so impressed with how Ppro and AE's performance improved, I thought well heck, INDD gots to be improved too! However, this still doesn't explain the "downgrade" feeling I am having in INDD.

My display driver is smack up to date, but yes, that doesn't mean it is flaw free. I'm using a gtx 460 (which is two cards in one).

I need to rule out that it is not the ai files though, so let me look there for a bit. As a final test, I may downgrade my display driver to see if there is any difference. I remember with my old cards at some point I had trouble and had to stay a few releases back, or I'd suffer.

Thank you

• 13. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                                  gishnetwork Level 1

hmmm

Just created new documents and loaded the same ai files, and it works super fast in full LSD...

Something must be different about old documents that were created on the old machine?

• 14. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                                    gishnetwork Level 1

Okay... here is where I am at.

#1 Opened old file and Save As new file. reduced file size a bit (expected) and IMO improved performance, but only maybe 10%.

#2 Created new empty doc then Cpoy/Pasted old page content. Results we about same as #1 above.

#3 THEN - I made a new empty document and started importing these two ai files. Moving the .ai with the direct selection tool was screaming fast at first. However, the more copies I imported, the more it slowed down. The document in question is a comic strip and has about 5 copies of both .ai files in it.

Now, this seems to be a flaw in Indesign to me because I am only moving one of the objects, the others are remaining stationary (and there is no overlap). So why should it slow down the more I import if I am still just moving one object?

Paul

• 15. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?

Just because it didn't move doesn't mean it isn't being redrawn along with the rest of the page...

• 16. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                                        gishnetwork Level 1

Well, that really chaps my hide....

• 17. Re: Indesign slow on powerful PC?
                                          gishnetwork Level 1

I'd like to add though, if illustrator is screaming fast with the same vectors/quantity... why can InDesign be fast?

No maky sensy.

For me to upgrade to CS6, InDesign will have to handle vectors better, and honor Photoshop layer blending to the document.