2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 2:35 PM by tm6550

CS5 "Allow Document Pages to Shuffle"

tm6550 Level 1

InDesign newbie (I mean, like less than two weeks) is formatting a novel and can't seem to get this right no matter how many times I've read the help files about this function.

I have two master pages, one single for chapter starts with no header text or page numbers, and one facing spread with page numbers aligned away from the spline and the author's name on the left/even page and the book title on the right/odd page. This worked as expected when I initially created the document.

During preview, I found a few chapter end pages with only a few lines of text and decided to eliminate these mostly blank pages by searching backward into the chapter for paragraph endings with only a word or two.

Minor edits to shorten one of these paragraphs by one line eliminated one of the lines on the last page of the chapter, and when this page was emptied of text, the start page for the next chapter would "back up" one page and fill it. That worked like a champ until I noticed that some chapter start pages now had header text and page numbers, and some interior pages had none.

My initial fix was to re-apply the appropriate master pages on a one-by-one basis, which worked okay until I had to do that multiple times as I edited the manuscript further. It's a labor-intensive process that I know inDesign is capable of handling automatically, but I'm not sure how to tell it what I want it to do.

If this makes any sense the way I've described it, I'd appreciate any tips about how to ensure that chapter start and interior facing pages don't switch masters when pages are added or deleted from the document. Thanks in advance for your time.

• 1. Re: CS5 "Allow Document Pages to Shuffle"
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Page shuffling really has nothing to do with it at this point. In order to keep the chapter starts on the correct page I think the easiest method is to make each chapter a separate story, thus preventing a change in one chapter from affecting the flow in another.

To do that with a continuous story flowing through multiple chapters, work from the back to the front. Start by TURNING OFF Smart Text Reflow if it is on, then grabbing the Selection tool (Black arrow) and double-clicking the outport (the larger box near the bottom right corner of the frame) on the last frame in the second-to-last chapter (you can also singl-e click, then click inside the same frame). This will break the thread at that point. The text that was in the last chapter will dissappear from those pages, but the frames will remain and be threaded together.

The "missing" text is now overset and you should see a red plus sign in the outport you clicked before. DON'T click it again. Instead, switch to the text tool and put the cursor after the last character in the chapter. Press Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) + Shift + End to select all of the overset text, then cut to the clipboard. The red plus should be gone.

Put the text cursor in the empty frame where the l;ast chapter should start and paste.

Repeat until you have broken apart all chapters.

Now if you edit one chapter it will either create overset text at the end of the chapter or leave an empty page if you shorten the text enough to do that (Smart text reflow can be re-enabled, if you can stand it, and may actually add pages or remove them for you).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 "Allow Document Pages to Shuffle"
            tm6550 Level 1

Thank you, Peter. I might have figured this out by the time it rains again where I live (which might be never the way we're going), but your explicit directions will be tried this afternoon. I really appreciate the time you took to walk me through it.