9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 6:52 AM by Yammer

Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3

Bjahrens

I have CS3 and I'm unable to open images in camera raw.  I updated to 4.6 but it hasn't helped, and I've tried suggestions such as "open as" and then "formats" and choosing "camera raw"...still doesn't work.  Adobe is not able to help me over the phone due to the older version of Photoshop...any thoughts or help?  Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A critical piece of information would be what camera model the RAW images you're trying to open are from.

Each model camera must be supported specifically in Camera RAW.  If your camera is newer than the latest ACR version available for your Photoshop version then you'll be unable to open the RAW files in ACR.

Three solutions are:

Use the latest version of the free DNG Converter from Adobe Updates < http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates > to convert each RAW file to a DNG and then that DNG will be openable in the older ACR version.  You may need to change the ACR-version compatibility setting in the DNG Converter.  This solution is free but doubles your storage space if you keep your original RAW plus the DNGs.

Buy Lightroom (which is less than half the price of Photoshop) and continue to use your older Photoshop with it.  The adjustments you do in LR are the same as you'd be able to do in ACR (actually more because the newest version of LR and ACR have more adjustments)

Upgrade to or buy the latest version of Photoshop, depending on your upgrade availability.

I personally have both Lightroom and Photoshop and use LR 90% of the time.

• 2. Re: Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3
            Bjahrens Level 1

My camera is the Nikon D300.

I have Camera Raw 4.0 and I downloaded the DNG Converter as suggested and it

worked - hooray.  I'm able to open my images in raw again.

I will be researching the Lightroom purchase as it seems the best way to go.

Thanks again...much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3
              Level 4

Bjahrens wrote:

…I have Camera Raw 4.0…

You need to update that to 4.6 ASAP.

Besides support for newer cameras, each and every ACR update contains unannounced bug fixes and enhancements, so you should always update to the latest ACR version that will run with your version of Photoshop, which in your case is 4.6.

As a matter of fact, there were substantial improvements between 4.0 and 4.6.

• 4. Re: Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3
                Bjahrens Level 1

I did update to 4.6 but what do I need to do to activate/install it?  I am

just not sure how to replace the 4.0 with the 4.6.  Thank you.

• 5. Re: Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3
                  Level 4

Follow the instructions on the download site to the letter.  They're different for Macintosh and for Windows.

Essentially, you must replace the 4.0 file in file same location with the new 4.6 file.

• 6. Re: Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To check what version you have, inside PS, use Help / About Plug-in... / Camera RAW and it should tell you the version.  It should also tell you the version on the title-bar when you have a DNG or older RAW file open.

• 7. Re: Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3
                      Bjahrens Level 1

I found that - I have 4.0.  I downloaded 4.6 and installed it, and it's in a

folder and I extracted the file - re-started the computer but I must be

missing something.  I'm just not sure how to replace 4.0 with this new one.

I'll go back online and see if I missed a step.  Again, thank you.  At least

with the DNG download I can at least convert the files.

• 8. Re: Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3
                        Bjahrens Level 1

O.K. I finally found it - I just didn't read that little document titled

"read me" after the download.  You have to go to your C drive to find the

Program Files folder and then navigate through there until you locate the

Plug Ins folder and then there it was...replaced the original Camera Raw

with the new one.  And guess what?  I can now open images in Camera Raw.

Many thanks to both of you for your help today!

• 9. Re: Unable to open image in camera raw in CS3
                          Yammer Level 4

I've seen this confuse people in the past. The installer is just for the Camera Profiles; the plug-in itself must be installed manually.