27 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2015 5:02 AM by Eugene Tyson

File Preview InDesign

cherylmts Level 1

Why can't I see a preview of any files in CS5 InDesign 7.0 (Mac)? Files are saved with a preview. Thanks!

• 1. Re: File Preview InDesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where are you expecting to see a file preview?

You should see a preview in Adobe Bridge. If you're expecting to see a file preview in the Finder, you'll need to get the Sneak Peek Pro utility from Code Line which adds preview on the Mac for InDesign, Illustrator, Freehand, etc.

• 2. Re: File Preview InDesign
            cherylmts Level 1

Yes, I was expecting to see a preview in Finder. There is a preview of all our Illustrator and Photoshop files now but not the InDesign files, although there is in Bridge.

• 3. Re: File Preview InDesign

It requires the third party utility I mentioned in the previous post.

• 4. Re: File Preview InDesign
                John Hawkinson Level 5

I think the question is functionally, "Why doesn't Adobe ship a QuickLook plugin for the Mac so that the Finder displays previews of InDesign documents? Most major applications ship QuickLook plugins so their documents display in the Finder."

I think we don't have a good tailored answer to that other than the usual answer to why some feature is not implemented:

"The InDesign Team has a lot of features they would like to implement, and this one may or may not be on their list, we don't know, but this is platform-specific so it is probably lower priority than an equivalent feature that works on multiple platforms. Also, there are 3rd-party tools that do this already, and the specification is open so they are not hard for programmers to implement, so there is relatively low market incentive for Adobe to do this."

Does anyone know better?

• 5. Re: File Preview InDesign
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With your ability to write convincing weasle-words, you should have been a lawyer.

• 6. Re: File Preview InDesign
                    DavidSouthgate Level 1

Yeah ... getting tired of all the explanations. So, let's keep this real simple. EVERYTHING else (.ai, .pdf, .jpg, .tif, etc.) shows a preview in both the Finder and in "Open" dialogue windows (from within the program). ONLY InDesign is recalcitrant. So folks are asking "Why?" Are the programers at Adobe corporation that stupid?

"Hmm ... I can't imagine that anyone would want this convenient feature, available in every other program (including some of our own) to be functional in InDesign ... "

So. Adobe programmers. If you know how to do it, why don't you just do it?

• 7. Re: File Preview InDesign

Probably because not as many people care about it as you. It's a low priority. Plus, when it can already be seen in Bridge (which is free) and when there's a third party utility which isn't expensive, that makes it even less of a priority.

• 8. Re: File Preview InDesign
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

My what a wonderful attitude you've expressed with your first post here. Did you actually register just for that?

Stupid? No, they're not stupid. As Steve points out it's not nearly as important or as easy as you think it is.

The other formats you've mentioned are all, for the most part, single page images. InDesign is far more complicated than that.

Bob

• 9. Re: File Preview InDesign
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

The other formats you've mentioned are all, for the most part,

single page images. InDesign is far more complicated than that.

It's actually not a complexity issue. All the other formats listed are

open non-proprietary formats for which Apple already provides

QuickLook viewers (except AI, but AI contains embedded PDF, so it gets

that for free).

InDesign is a proprietary format, which makes this stuff hard.

But Adobe has published enough information about it (see the XMP

spec) that 3rd party tools can indeed pull it out.

• 10. Re: File Preview InDesign
                            peter minneapolis Level 4

John Hawkinson wrote:

The other formats you've mentioned are all, for the most part,

single page images. InDesign is far more complicated than that.

It's actually not a complexity issue. All the other formats listed are

open non-proprietary formats for which Apple already provides

QuickLook viewers (except AI, but AI contains embedded PDF, so it gets

that for free).

InDesign is a proprietary format, which makes this stuff hard.

But Adobe has published enough information about it (see the XMP

spec) that 3rd party tools can indeed pull it out.

Perhaps a "simple" solution might be to embed a PDF preview of the ID file,rather than a proprietary one, similar to AI's method.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 11. Re: File Preview InDesign
                              peter minneapolis Level 4

DavidSouthgate wrote:

Yeah ... getting tired of all the explanations. So, let's keep this real simple. EVERYTHING else (.ai, .pdf, .jpg, .tif, etc.) shows a preview in both the Finder and in "Open" dialogue windows (from within the program). ONLY InDesign is recalcitrant. So folks are asking "Why?" Are the programers at Adobe corporation that stupid?

"Hmm ... I can't imagine that anyone would want this convenient feature, available in every other program (including some of our own) to be functional in InDesign ... "

So. Adobe programmers. If you know how to do it, why don't you just do it?

Hi, David:

You're probably smart enough to appreciate that insults aren't constructive, nor are they helpful in motivating others to work on achieving your wishes. The reasons for other formats' previews being accessible are noted in another post on this thread. Perhaps, as I suggested there, a PDF preview in ID files, similar to the PDF aspect of AI files that makes their previews accessible in Finder, could be doable with less work than other approaches.

If it's important enough to you, you might want to invest the small effort to file a formal feature request with Adobe here: Wishform.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 12. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

There are a lot of technical reasons why that doesn't work well.

The first is that PDF requires a file look like a PDF at the beginning

of the file, so AI does that by having AI files actually be

PDF files and then throwing its private data at the end(?) of the file.

Historically AI files were actually (E)PS files, so this evolution made

sense.

I probably should not have used the word "embedded" to describe that,

because it implied that you could embed a PDF inside any format (true),

and that then any PDF viewer would be able to find it (false).

For ID to do what AI does, the file format (header) would have to radically

change, breaking all compatibility with existing tools that can read

it and identify ID files.

I guess it's not impossible, but it does not make a lot of sense to me.

• 13. Re: File Preview InDesign

And the file size, which many people are already ******** about would explode.

Bob

• 14. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                    DavidSouthgate Level 1

True, the file size of ID documents really doesn't need to be any larger. Though perhaps part of the size issue has to do with the excellent recovery feature (.idlk?) which has saved my cured pork stips on many occasions. If I have to trade off, I'll go without the QL preview and say thanks for the great recovery programming.

Hey, did I mention I think ID is probably one of the best pieces of design software in existence? Did I? Well, I just did!

-D

• 15. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                      DavidSouthgate Level 1

Yeah, you're right. Maybe just some excess stress working itself out. Thanks for the link. I have submitted a feature request as you have suggested. I was very polite.

=-)

Bon weekend, everyone!

• 16. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Bob, I hate to feel like an ankle-biter but:

And the file size, which many people are already ******** about would explode.

That's not actually true.

The proposal, as I understood it, was to embed PDF format file previews in the INDD file (similarly to how AI files are PDF files) so that any app that knows how to read a PDF can view the preview image of the InDesign document. This is not that the INDD file would contain an exported PDF of the entire structure of the file. It would contain a PDF of the same preview data that is in the XMP metadata.

In fact, such a PDF would be even smaller. The XMP metadata contains, for each page, a 256x256 px JPEG that is Base64-encoded, and takes up 15,000 bytes or so in one test (size will vary depending on how compressible the preview image is). Looking something like this:

<xmp:PageInfo>
                                           <rdf:Seq>
                                              <rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource">
                                                 <xmpTPg:PageNumber>1</xmpTPg:PageNumber>
                                                 <xmpGImg:format>JPEG</xmpGImg:format>
                                                 <xmpGImg:width>256</xmpGImg:width>
                                                 <xmpGImg:height>256</xmpGImg:height>
                                                 <xmpGImg:image>
                                        /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAgEASABIAAD/7QAsUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+
                                        0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEA&#xA;AQBIAAAAAQAB/+4AE0Fkb2JlAGQAAAAAAQU
                                        AArME/9sAhAAKBwcHBwcKBwcKDgkJCQ4RDAsLDBEU&#xA;EBAQEBAUEQ8R

But since Base64 encoding is ASCII, and PDFs can (and do) contain binary data, you save space on the Base64 overhead (which is roughly 4/3), and so the size of this preview would from 15k to 11k.

Of course, if you kept the XMP preview and the PDF data, the file would get bigger, but 11k per page isn't really much to worry about.

I still think this isn't a good idea for other reasons (i.e. requirement to change the file header), but I don't think file size is a real objection...

• 17. Re: File Preview InDesign

Fine, John.

Have it your way.

Living in New Jersey, I've got more important things to worry about right now.

Bob

• 18. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My 2cents

Not all is revealed in a Preview of an InDesign file.

InDesign files are meant to be exported to PDF (that was the original idea!)

It's only in a printed PDF that you see the file for what it is.

On Screen PDF doesn't cut it, OnScreen Preview does not cut it.

A preview in a browser, finder, or window explorer wouldn't cut it.

That being said, you can preview InDesign files on your tablet/phone/etc. with Adobe Creative Cloud installed and you're signed in.

• 19. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                              hmrochall Level 1

I'm actually glad someone reopened this post, although I'm sorry it was in a negative way. I had so hoped by the time I purchased Adobe CC that this one little feature would have been updated/included now in InDesign. It may not seem important to some, but there are actually many people out there who would benefit from it. When you work in an environment with shared files on a shared drive, it helps save time to be able to get a quick preview of the first page rather than having to open Bridge or open the document itself to make sure it's the document you actually want. We have a standard naming convention at our company, but people still have use their own judgement in naming the actual "title" of the document, so getting a quick peek is great.

I see Sneak Peek has been replaced by Art View and while it's only $24.95, the red tape at our company for software purchases and installation is extensive. I was finally able to get the Adobe CC products installed this past month after requesting nearly a year ago.

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts.

• 20. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

save time to be able to get a quick preview of the first page rather than having to open Bridge or open the document itself to make sure it's the document you actually want

InDesign's Mini Bridge previews the first page

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 11.04.40 AM.png

And in Review mode you can flip through the pages:

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 11.17.02 AM.png

• 21. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                                  hmrochall Level 1

Ok, thanks. I just realized they didn’t download/install Bridge with my new CC software. I always have 4-6 apps open at any given time, so I stopped using Bridge a long time ago. I’ll have to put in a ticket to our team to have it loaded.

• 22. Re: File Preview InDesign

Like big Bridge, Mini-Bridge caches previews so the initial view can be delayed, but that might depend on your File Handling preferences.

• 23. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                                      hmrochall Level 1

I had an old version of Bridge, so it was easy to update with CC, however, Mini-Bridge won't let me view items on our server, only on my computer.

• 24. Re: File Preview InDesign

That's right, but full Bridge will and it also has the Review mode. Is it really that hard to flip over to Bridge? You can drag and drop from big Bridge same as you can from Mini Bridge

• 25. Re: File Preview InDesign

You could even replace the OSX Open dialog and use Bridge as a file finder and opener via AppleScript:

So assign Command-O to this script:

tell application "Adobe Bridge CC"

activate

end tell

• 26. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                                            hmrochall Level 1

I'll work with Bridge for awhile and if it seems to add too much to my many open apps, then try the second suggestion. Thanks for your help!

• 27. Re: File Preview InDesign
                                                              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest solution is to create a PDF once the indesign file is updated. It's ritualistic for me to create a Proof PDF and version that, and I also create a print ready version should it be signed off in my absence the file is there to be printed or sent somewhere else.

Either way, working with a PDF workflow is highly recommended.