4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2011 10:09 AM by dataffect

can someone point me to an application built in Flex that is in the Apple App Store

dataffect

I keep seeing videos from adobe that shows apps running on IOS  devices. Im getting mixed messages about the whole process.     

Forgive me if Im just missing something or have not been paying  attention enough to know..  How in the world is this being deployed on a  iPhone if it doesnt run flash?

Is it true or not that I will  be able to submit my app to the appstore? If it is true please give me  an example of it in the real world.

Im a flex developer but  have pretty much thrown the whole idea of working on iPhone apps in flex  because of the lack support of flash.

I dont get it; what  has changed and why doesnt the rest of the world know that they can  run  flash on their iPhone. I feel like this would be big news.

• 1. Re: can someone point me to an application built in Flex that is in the Apple App Store
          pauland Level 4

dataffect wrote:

I keep seeing videos from adobe that shows apps running on IOS  devices. Im getting mixed messages about the whole process.     

Forgive me if Im just missing something or have not been paying  attention enough to know..  How in the world is this being deployed on a  iPhone if it doesnt run flash?

Adobe supply an IOS packager that translates the Flex/Flash project into an IOS project equivalent. There are some restrictions. The igadget family doesn't run flash.

Is it true or not that I will  be able to submit my app to the appstore? If it is true please give me  an example of it in the real world.

You can submit an app to the appstore. I'm not going to go hunting for one for you.

Im a flex developer but  have pretty much thrown the whole idea of working on iPhone apps in flex  because of the lack support of flash.

I dont get it; what  has changed and why doesnt the rest of the world know that they can  run  flash on their iPhone. I feel like this would be big news.

The iPhone doesn't run Flash. Adobe have created a packager that translates a Flash or Flex project into an IOS/Objective-C one.

The mechanism has been discussed and described all over the web.

• 4. Re: can someone point me to an application built in Flex that is in the Apple App Store
            dataffect Level 1

Thanks for the input.

My job duties have been altered greatly due to the ongoing battle these companies have been engaging in. Having been primarily a flash/flex developer that was untouched by the general publics perception until I started working for an ad agency, none of this really mattered. However since the advent of iPad in the eyes of the design teams is now the gold standard that all development should be built for all my development time has been focused on HTML 5 mobile  sites (not in native wrappers).  I fear that enough damage has been done during the battle that the powers that be are not easily convinced that flash (converted to native or not) on those devices is a good choice.

I certainly realize that its a battle for public perception not a actual analyses of pros & cons of the development process, but the people who write my check are listening to the hipsters who have drank the iKoolade and are more interested in tweeting about the flash/html5 flamewar than researching the facts. As most of you know, developers are treated as second class citizens, or are vendors that are asked to do a task and are not the ones actually concepting or brainstorming the projects to life. With that being said and all the flash bashing that has taken place, it is really difficult for me to gain any traction with those who are cutting the checks.

My suggestion is to promote this capability more, to change the perception on the street.