13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 5:02 PM by John Hawkinson

pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing

reistony

We have a problem with one of our computers and indesign CS5. When they paste text from any other program into indesign it crashes. It may be OK for 10 minutes or so but then crashes. This is a big job with lots of business cards and they need to copy and paste text from excel and then into indesign. She gets through 4 or 5 and then it crashes. We have deleted preferences a few times and tried pasting into text edit first but it always ends up crashing indesign. It happens when text is pasted from a pdf or word also.

Any ideas?

TR

• 1. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
          The Macdoctor Level 2

Many years ago I discovered that pasting anything into PageMaker from an outside source would eventually lead to a problem.

As a user of InDesign from "Day One", I have studiously followed the same routine and have avoided pasting anything into an existing ID file from a source other than another ID file. Having done this, I rarely experience problems . . . and I get a lot of junk data in Word and Excel as well as other formats to use in files for clients.

The trick is to Place the data from a Word or Excel file in to a text frame on the pasteboard in the ID document. Next, remove all formatting, Copy & Paste the data to the required location and then apply the required formatting within ID before deleting the Placed data from the pasteboard.

If you must copy text from a PDF, Paste it into a Word file and then follow the above procedure.

I don't know exactly why this works, but I suspect it is something to do with removing the junk code that arrives from the Excel or Word document on import. I have passed this tip on to many of my clients who have found it to be reliable.

• 2. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It would help if you told us your operating system, and if you've patched ID to 7.0.4.

Do you run a font manager (which one, including version)? Do you have Q2ID installed?

Do you get any crash report or error messages?

• 3. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
              John Hawkinson Level 5

TR: The beauty of a crash is it is the operating system telling you exactly where a program faulted. Sometimes that information is hidden away, but that's the whole point of programs crashing, rather than hanging interminably or behaving strangely. A fault is detected and the OS shuts down the program.

So, all we need is the crash report. See Guide to Interpreting InDesign Crash Reports.

Upload the crash report to pastebin.com and post a link here (do not paste the crash report here. It makes the forum thread unreadable).

We'll tell you what happened. [hopefully]

• 4. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                reistony Level 1

Hi,

sorry, i forgot this vital information. We are running Mac OS 10.6.7 . The Q2ID is installed and the issues did start after that. We have installed the patch to 7.0.4.

We use Suitcase Fusion 3 version 14.0 (146)

We don't get a crash report. the program just hangs and the ball spins indefinitely.

• 5. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                  reistony Level 1

Hi John,

thanks for replying, we are not getting a crash report that pops up. The ball just spins forever. How can we get the crash report to pop up?

• 6. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                    John Hawkinson Level 5
                    sorry, i forgot this vital information. We are running Mac OS 10.6.7 . The Q2ID is installed and the issues did start after that. We have installed the patch to 7.0.4.

Well, it's almost certainly Q2ID. Contact Markzware, they have an update that fixes this.

(Actually, could you find out what version number fixes the update? That would be good information so we could help other people more usefully.)

We don't get a crash report. the program just hangs and the ball spins indefinitely.

Oh. Well, then it's not a crash! Sorry. It's a hang. Not the same.

You can force a crash report by going to Activity Monitor, and then choose View > Send Signal and send an Abort signal to the process. And then you can upload and post that. But I'll bet you $10 it's Q2ID.

• 7. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                      reistony Level 1

We have contacted Marksware aready and they have provided a update to 5 which is installed and the problem wasn't fixed.

That computer is being worked on today and next time it hangs i will go to activity monity and get the report info.

We have been loyal quark users for the last 15 years and now I am wondering why we have changed.??

• 8. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, I don't think you can blame Adobe for Markzware's bugs...

• 9. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                          reistony Level 1

Hi John,

does this confirm it is Markzware is the problem??

http://pastebin.com/aHiV5kjY

• 10. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

yes, it does. Note the 2nd column of frames 5 through 13 (com.markzare.Q2IDv5_CS5). Good thing you did not take the bet?

• 11. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                              reistony Level 1

Thanks John,

I have been wondering all along if that Q2ID was the problem. Thats why I

didn't bet.

I have just sent another email to Markzware to see what they can do about

this. Probably best option is to get rid of the damn thing altogether. The

weird thing is that is running on 3 computers in here. 2 are hanging and 1

doesn't.

Thanks

Tony Reis

• 12. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                                SlamDesi Level 1

Not a very timely reply but, I was being vexed as well with copying from one InDesign document to another.  The original and the destination were both two color newsletters.  I would copy an entire page and switch to the destination document to paste it.  Unfortunately, once the Command-C was initiated, the swirling ball of death eventually resulted in a crash.  After three attempts and restarting my computer, I tried it again but, same result.

Then, I copied only one element at a time (graphic, then a text box, grouped text and graphic...etc.)  Not until I came to a single Placed EPS graphic (Illustrator EPS) did it initiate the death spiral. (I'd previously deleted all unused colors just in case)

I opened the offending file and noticed that a radial gradient contained a spot color and a CMYK mix (instead of a percentage of the same spot color).  That was all it appeared to be... so far.  A bit odd that THAT would hang such a powerful suite of software.

I plan to try a full page copy/paste to see if that was indeed the problem.

Computer Info: 2009 MAC Tower, 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, CS6. (and I was completely sober)

PS: I tried the full page copy/paste and, it worked without a hiccup.

Message was edited by: SlamDesi

• 13. Re: pasting text into indesign CS5 causes constant crashing
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Not a very timely reply but, I was being vexed as well with copying from one InDesign document to another.  The original and the destination were both two color newsletters.  I would copy an entire page and switch to the destination document to paste it.  Unfortunately, once the Command-C was initiated, the swirling ball of death eventually resulted in a crash.  After three attempts and restarting my computer, I tried it again but, same result.

Please post the crash report (via http://pastebin.com). Thanks!