11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 8:35 AM by the_wine_snob

Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues

paulthoen

I have the following annoying problem:

Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio playback continues, pausing playback (using spacebar or mouse) reacts with a delay of appr. 20 seconds or more. The times are not always reproduceable, though.

I use PrE 9.0.1 to edit in project preset PAL HDV1080i, clips captured from a Canon HDV20. Edited length 25 minutes. Timeline track 1. Everything rendered for preview (no red bars left).

Quicktime is up-to-date: 7.6.9.

My system has an AMD Phenom II X4 965, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit up-to-date. Available virtual memory fixed on max 40GB. Videocard ATI Radeon 6850 PCi.e 16x 1GB, driver 8.861.00. Display 1920x1200 60Hz.

C:drive - system and program, D:drive - captured video, E:drive -all other files. All drives WD Caviar Black SATA3 with plenty of space (>80% free).

I applied all the hints and tips on "PrE Hanging, or crashing" and the associated articles, including switching off virusscanners etc.. But without success.

What could be the solution?

• 1. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
          paulthoen Level 1

Forgot to mention RAM size: 8GB DDR3 1666Mhz.

• 2. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is your project set up for HDV video? (If it's set up correctly, there will not be red lines above the clips on your timeline until you add effects to them. Is that the case in your situation?)

What operating system are you using? Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have even the non-critical updates? Do you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

How much free, defragmented space is on each of your drives?

Is your second hard drive formatted as NTFS and not FAT32, as they come from the factory?

You appear to have plenty of power. But something is clearly set up incorrectly on either your machine or your Premiere Elements project. HDV should edit effortlessly on a machine with a fraction of your power.

• 3. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
              paulthoen Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response!

- My project is set up for HDV video (PAL 1280i); the red lines are only above the effects and title parts.

- I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit; I checked the update status and it appears to be up-to-date.

- I use the latest QuickTime version 7.6.9

- C:drive has 381 GB free, D:drive has 402 GB free and E:drive has 809 GB free. All NTFS, and 0% fragmented.

I share your view that my PC should be able to run Premiere Elements without any problems. In fact, I built it specially for that purpose.

So the key question remains: what parameter(s) are set wrongly?

I do hope you have some suggestions!

Paul

Op 27 jul. 2011, om 18:17 heeft Steve Grisetti het volgende geschreven:

Is your project set up for HDV video? (If it's set up correctly, there will not be red lines above the clips on your timeline until you add effects to them. Is that the case in your situation?)

What operating system are you using? Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have even the non-critical updates? Do you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

How much free, defragmented space is on each of your drives?

Is your second hard drive formatted as NTFS and not FAT32, as they come from the factory?

You appear to have plenty of power. But something is clearly set up incorrectly on either your machine or your Premiere Elements project. HDV should edit effortlessly on a machine with a fraction of your power.

>

• 4. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, it's nothing obvious, based on what you're telling me.

So you're going to need some deeper troubleshooting than we can give you on this forum.

Have you contacted Adobe Tech Support?

• 5. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>times are not always reproduceable

In WinExplorer, right click on all drives and un-check the default "allow indexing" option, click apply, and select drive and all folders

The default Windows indexing can cause problems for video editing

• 6. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
                    paulthoen Level 1

Steve, No, I haven't contacted Tech Support yet, but I will now...

John, thanks, I tried that, and it made no difference.

In general: I find it remarkable that playback of my clips (in the preview window) works perfectly, at any size. Also exporting the edited project (timeline) to any other medium (BD, DVD, HDD) in any format is fast and without flaws. It's just the playback of the timeline video that freezes, combined with a delayed response to the "pause" command.

• 7. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you mentioned this, I missed it... so ignore as needed

Go to the vendor site for your graphic card and update to the latest device driver

If that doesn't work, try successive older drivers to see if you find one that works

My 1st video editing computer (bought ready made from Alienware) had an nVidia card that would only work properly with Premiere 6 with ONE specific device driver... any older or newer would not work properly in one fashion or another

It MAY be that your card is having driver problems

• 8. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
                        paulthoen Level 1

Thanks, John.

The crazy thing in my case is that I added the ATI Radeon card, after I had encountered the described problem, in the hope that it would disappear; I originally used the built-in video capabilities of the AMD processor and the motherboard. But nothing improved, so I deduct that the card doesn't create the issue.

It is most puzzling to me that the original HDV clips run as smoothly as silk, even full screen. The freeze and delay happens only in timeline playback. It seems to me that some, yet unidentified, process (reading the edit list?!) is taking up all processor power. Which might explain the delayed response, but doesn't explain the continuing audio.

So I still don't know where to look.

I mailed a support request to Adobe. Hopefully they can help!

• 9. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Windows Indexing, many active, real-time anti-virus software can produce similar results. I would turn all anti-virus software OFF, and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
                            paulthoen Level 1

Today I received a detailed and fast response from Adobe Tech Support, even in my native Dutch, kudo's!

By following their recommendations I found the culprit.

First I started Windows in simple mode, and then the problem disappeared. Conclusion: the issue is caused by a software conflict.

Using CCleaner, I switched of several started modules - and soon it appeared that Cyberlink software caused the defect.

I removed all Cyberlink keys (like HKLM:Run UpdatePSTShortCut "C:\Program Files (x86) Cyberlink\Blu-Ray Disc Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStarterMenu.exe\" "C:\Program Files (x86) Cyberlink\Blu-Ray Disc Suite "UpdateWithCreateOnce" software\Cyberlink\Powerstarter") (-maybe I missed some spaces or quotation marks, I retyped the line...)

Now Premiere Elements is running as it is intended to run: fast, smooth and reliable. I am happy again!

Thank Steve, John and Bill for your help, and thanks Adobe.

But Cyberlink: what did you do wrong? (Haven't checked whether I still can play my BD's...)

• 11. Re: Timeline video playback freezes after 30-75 seconds, audio continues
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news that things are much better with PrE now.

I have several CyberLink programs, albeit older versions of each, and have not had any issues - so far. What might have been changed, is a mystery to me, but maybe others have some ideas for you. Like I mentioned, my CyberLink products are older, and play nice with PrE, PrPro and AfterEffects, so it's likely some change in the newer programs?

Succes,

Hunt